1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Someone used my domain name to email spam

Discussion in 'Security' started by Ghalt, Jan 27, 2008.

So I go in to check my email the other day and I have 160 new messages, all of which are reject messages from spam blockers.

Some goober spammed a bunch of people with some bogus email, and aliased the 'from' email as a bogus email address at my domain name.

Is there anyway to prevent that?

Are there any dangers of which I should be aware from this activity?

Thanks!

Ghalt, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that happens millions of times each day to most of us

you have your mail server - smtp . correctly configured and your SPF record in your nameserver straight and tight - hence you have nothing to worry.
    else
    learn to to do above - use search in DP forum or Google

hans, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  3. Ladadadada

Ladadadada Peon

Best Answers:
    SPF is designed to stop this sort of behaviour but it only works where the recipients implement SPF as well as the sender. Many of the ones that don't will end up blaming you for the spam. When the email system was designed, nobody even thought of doing things like this and hence no security controls were built in to it.

The other thing you might want to do is create an email template explaining what is happening and why it's not your fault and why there's nothing you can do about it. You can use this template whenever someone accuses you of spamming them. (don't bother with the spam-blocker reject messages)

Good luck.

Ladadadada, Jan 28, 2008 IP