1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Someone on this forum is using my trademark to advertise

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by SethTheUBotGuy, Feb 24, 2011.

So I'm pretty new around here, but I just noticed that every time someone mentions the name of my product, UBot Studio, it links to the site of one of my competitors (who's product isn't as good). This is a trademark of my company. How can I get the situation remedied?

SethTheUBotGuy, Feb 24, 2011 IP
  2. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like someone has bought an ad triggered by that word. I am not sure of the current state of the law in that regard, but it seems like you have two options, regardless.

1. Ask them to stop using your trademark term to trigger their ads.

2. Sue them to force them to stop.

If it were me, I would be spending my time on option 1. Option 2 sounds like a waste of time and money.

browntwn, Feb 24, 2011 IP
  3. attorney jaffe

attorney jaffe Member

Best Answers:
    You can send a cease and desist letter regarding your trademark.

attorney jaffe, Feb 24, 2011 IP
  4. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dave Zan, Feb 24, 2011 IP
  5. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Going to read it now. Looks like I used to work with (send some cases to) one of the parties. :)

Interesting read. The advertiser, using someone else trademark to trigger their ads, got their ass handed to them including an award of attorney's fees.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  6. susan_ham

susan_ham Peon

Best Answers:
    What they do is damaging your benefits, so you should ask them to deal with this issue, if they don't give you a reasonable answer, you can sue them to protect your own interests.

susan_ham, Feb 24, 2011 IP
  7. SethTheUBotGuy

SethTheUBotGuy Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the link! very helpful. what I mean is that digital point has some kind of in line text advertising so that every time someone mentions a certain word, it links it to the ad. Look at the word UBot in this sentence, and click the link. That's one of my competitors. They have an inferior product and they're using my trademark to advertise it.

does anyone know who's in charge of those ads on here? maybe I ca =n just ask them to remove it.

SethTheUBotGuy, Feb 24, 2011 IP
  8. browntwn

Best Answers:

I would send them a letter (email is fine too) requesting that they stop using your word to trigger their ad. I would tell them that courts have found people doing exactly that liable for that very thing. I would link that case so he can read himself.

Of course, I would also make sure I really owned the trademark:

I didn't see any other live trademarks for that word. The reality is that you need to persuade the other person it is in both his and your best interest for him to stop. The chances of this ending up in a lawsuit are close to nil so whether you have a registered trademark or a claim to a common law trademark is almost immaterial. If you can't get him to stop on his own, the cost of going to court would be prohibitive unless you were losing tens of thousands of dollars due to this and even then its not a case you want to bring.

9. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    I seem to recall that Google actually STOPPED trying to enforce trademark compliance in adwords, and that it's basically open season now.

contentboss, Feb 26, 2011 IP
  10. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Whether or not Google allows it does not make it legal for another company to do. Google is not the arbiter of what is legal and not legal.

In the case linked above, the party chose to sue the competitor doing the advertising and not Google itself. The party using adwords lost $250,000 so, the fact that Google let them do it wasn't much of a defense to the trademark violation. :)

browntwn, Feb 26, 2011 IP
  11. Clutch Technology

Clutch Technology Peon

Best Answers:
    Great find. Very helpful.

Clutch Technology, Feb 26, 2011 IP