1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Someone in India scammed me out of $1100

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Jihoy, Mar 7, 2014.

1. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Another method if he/she is the real owner of that facebook page. You can try to remove that facebook page. You need to collect all information and provide details to facebook and include the FIR of that fraud. As much i know, why did you not try paypal where paypal is supported in India. Can i know that FB page where you want to promote links.

Your money is lost. It is impossible, you will get it back. Like fake id, fake name and address are also there.

humtuma, Mar 9, 2014 IP
  2. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So you want him to contact fb, and have them remove the page?
    "hey, FB, I tried to buy ads on this FB page, and was scammed $1,100....
    Since I was scammed, can you please remove the FB page....
    Simply because it may make me feel a little better...."
    BTW FB, I acknowledge that I violated FB TOS...
    but lets just over-look that for the time being....

is that about right?

dscurlock, Mar 9, 2014 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I am wondering if this is the whole story. If someone was willing to pay me $500 and then another $600 and was satisfied with my services - why in the world would I block the guy? I wouldn't.

qwikad.com, Mar 9, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  4. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I thought that too, but the scammer could have outsourced the initial campaign/paid someone else to run the first set of ad's to build trust with OP & then took the opportunity the second time to scam him. Or the scammer could have sold the pages that he owned & then tried his luck on the OP to scam another $1100. He might even have plenty of other people like OP to scam.

thsadmin, Mar 9, 2014 IP
  5. Sugavanas

Sugavanas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As thsadmin said, the scammer may have paid the page less than 500$ for the first ad and then asked Op for another 600$ and ran away with the money. I am sure, that he does not own the page which he posted. If he did own the page, he wouldn't cheat OP as a post in facebook does not cost anything to him.
    So he just wanted to scam. That was his main motive

Sugavanas, Mar 9, 2014 IP
  6. Milosovic Bejdak

Milosovic Bejdak Member

Best Answers:
    The worst thing you can do to him at this point is leave negative feedback on the sellers page letting the world know he is a scammer.

Milosovic Bejdak, Mar 9, 2014 IP
  7. Sugavanas

Best Answers:
    Its not gonna make things different as he is not from DP. this is a online world and he won't mind scamming others with fake details. The only way to make him stop is to go through legal actions.
    Or else he is never gonna stop scamming others.

Sugavanas, Mar 9, 2014 IP
  8. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Atleast you should try. Either facebook will remove that page or give warning only. You have to proof that you have been scammed. May i know that fb page name. You and seller both violate the FB TOS, So don't worry about it. Just try. If this will not work, do the police complain and get the all details of FB page.

humtuma, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  9. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Telling FB or reporting the page will not work... you don't even know if he owns these pages. The only way to report this to FB is if this guys is selling the related service somewhere, for example report the threads where he sells the service. That's if FB even follow it up. Police? They wont care... it's out of their understanding.

thsadmin, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  10. Sugavanas

Best Answers:
    As i said in the my previous post. The seller doesn't own the page if i am sure. He should have paid someone for the first post and he just took all the money he got the second time.
    He just wanted to scam the buyer. If he did own the page, he won't have any pain posting a simple post.

Reporting to facebook wouldn't do anything. Why would facebook care for the transaction done outside facebook. The only question they will have is why the user didn't use facebook to promote himself and wanted a 3rd person to do it for him.

Sugavanas, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  11. WebLab

WebLab Active Member

Best Answers:
    You seems right, the scammer was just a middle man. The original FB page owner might have got the warning from FB, so possibly he/she might have denied to put the adv again. Either the scammer is smart enough to know how to trick the people or may be his intention was not to scam, but now he is a scammer as he is not responding.

WebLab, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  12. rajin

rajin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    who knows what country that virtual identity belonged too. all in all the money is gone. if paid via paypal you can make some effort to make a dispute but westernunion a tough task.

rajin, Mar 12, 2014 IP
  13. lsc297

lsc297 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi I have had same problem with guy who sold me growhealth.org, which was on flippa. All bullshit figs, robbed of 10k. I have a lawyer who is sorting this for me. The thief hides behind various aliases, & used a Co. bank account to receive the money. My lawyer has filed various official court docs, so the bank will have to release his full details. There is also a cyber police unit. When you paid by WU. did you require his ID card as identification? If you have a means of ID this scumbag, then my lawyer can sort him out.
    It would be a good idea if there was a forum for of scumbags- in my case, there were posts about this guy, in other forums, so he has obviously robbed a few guys.
    I am that pissed off, whether I get my money back or not, I want to know he is in for a very hard life- which he will get in indian jail.
    Maybe you are best seeing how I get on; or I can put you in touch with this lawyer- WARNING, a lot of lawyers in india are not actually lawyers. I found this guy on odesk.
    good luck, leo

lsc297, Mar 14, 2014 IP
  14. Jihoy

Jihoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I am going to give this a try and see. Contacting Western Union and see if I can get money back.

Jihoy, Mar 14, 2014 IP
  15. Jihoy

Jihoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I will report this and see how it goes. Never knew about this resource.

Jihoy, Mar 14, 2014 IP
  16. Jihoy

Jihoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's against TOS to have third party links, but it's not strictly enforced. And by any measures it's not illegal. I have actually talked to my FB ad account manager (I spent thousands a month on FB ads) and they didn't see any problems with my pages promoting third party links, which they approved my ads. And the person does in fact own the page or ant least is a CC and been sharing regularly other website ads and replying to my questions when I was messaging him. He recently contacted that he will share my links, but that was a week ago and still no link share. I will give him until next week before calling the cops. Which I highly doubt they'd do much of anything. Just a cost of doing business online, no risk no rewards. We went through first deal no problem, which normally second deal should be fine, but this is a bit unexpected.

Jihoy, Mar 14, 2014 IP
  17. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Should've used paypal, or a service that would've assisted you in getting a refund in a case such as this.

ash1ey82, Mar 15, 2014 IP
  18. lsc297

lsc297 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Paypal will not assist in any service dispute/ sale of non tangible goods/services- eg: SEO services, website design etc.
    The Indian cyber unit will require proof that you have reported the fraud to your local/ national police- they will want a Crime Reference Number, which national police issue

lsc297, Mar 16, 2014 IP
  19. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You call it as an unauthorized transaction and you get the refund.

ash1ey82, Mar 17, 2014 IP
  20. legalbrain

legalbrain Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am Lawyer based in India, a Technology Lawyer . This is a a very shameful act and I am sure will be generalized for Indians providing online services.

Firstly you can get remedy in a court of law in India, yet having said practicality is that you will have to spend more than double the amount lost because of the scam to bring that scammer to justice.

By now most of the people have realized that transferring money through western union and moneygram is a risk 9/10 times!!

Perhaps you can post the scammers FB link and other contact information and where you found him and help everyone else to be alert from such person. ( Damaging his business is the best thing you can do even though on a small scale)

Now the impractical part-

I can help you bring an action against the person based on your records and personal details.

About ME:
    I am a Technology Lawyer and draft Agreements, Policies, Terms of Uses, Terms of Services, and IP Legal Consultation.

legalbrain, Mar 17, 2014 IP