1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Some help for a new site with a whopping PR0(zero)!!!

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by res17, May 19, 2004.

Hi guys - I'm a newcomer to the site. Hopefully I won't be too demanding....
    I've done the following:
    1. SEO'd the site.
    2. Obtained some IBLs although not very good.
    3. Submitted to most SEs except overture, awaiting DMOZ....sometime before retirement. Poor guys over-worked!
    4. Tried to get some listings in directories.

My question is....if I've got two days to get this site 'up there,' what should I be doing? Obviously there is some delay with the SEs, but I am concerned that I am not 'doing' the right things....
    If anyone can help, I'd be very greatful...

Cheers

Rob

res17, May 19, 2004 IP
  2. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Hi there!
    Sounds like you are well on your way, but, for your site to get "up there" you need more then 2 days. :D . You need back links and, unfortunately, TIME.

Here is a useful tip: Put a link to your site in your signature on this forum. Each time you post, it will count as a link to your site. Links from my signature in this forum brought my site from #100+ in the search engines, to the 1st page in about a month. Hope that helps!

ViciousSummer, May 19, 2004 IP
  3. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Well said VS - I saw you sign up this morning res17, welcome - just go and place your link in your signature using the keyword you want as VS says. What will happen is that you will be crawled faster, like today - just make sure that your title is the same as the link - because G takes that initial title "seriously" and you get "stuck" with it for a while.

Good luck and ask questions because the answers help everybody :)

Foxy, May 19, 2004 IP
  4. dave487

dave487 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you need results within 2 days why not use Overture or Adwords? this could bridge the gap until you are indexed by all the SE's.

dave487, May 19, 2004 IP
  5. ephricon

ephricon Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah if two days is it you've got to either go with AdWords or go crazy trying to get some good links coming in. The more links coming in (and quality links) the more frequently you'll get spidered. Focus on PR4 or higher sites too moreso than the lower ones. A week to ten days is more realistic for Google. From my experience it tends to take Yahoo and MSN longer than Google.

ephricon, May 19, 2004 IP
  6. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi res17

All the advice being offered is very good and will get you on the path to good rankings. Since January 1 Google seems to have become very slow with the indexing of new sites. Links to your site appear to be the most important factor.

I recently set up a site that have plenty of inbound links, yet it took three months for Google to index anything past the home page and four months for PageRank to appear.

Another unusual phenomenon with Google is that they sometimes initially index a site and give it top 10 rankings, only to yank the rankings in a few weeks and place your pages at the back of the pack. They do work themselves back up, but it can be very frustrating. I suspect that PageRank is not an initial factor, so the pages rank well. Then they factor in PageRank and the site drops in the rankings until it builds enough PageRank.

Don't despair, but you need to understand that SEO is a long-term proposition. There aren't very many quick fixes.

Craig

TechEvangelist, May 19, 2004 IP
  7. zentropy

zentropy Guest

Best Answers:
    I've got a couple dozen pr6 and several hundred pr5 domains and I'm in the mood to do a good deed so you just won the Zentropy May pr giveaway. Your choice of 12 pr5+ links to your domain or you can just have one of my existing pr5 domains that's currently parked at trafficz.com waiting for some tlc. Your choice, no catch other than claim your prize within 24 hour or it goes to someone else. I need a url and some anchor text or a niche to see if I have any domains that fit. Oh, actually there is one catch - just remember me when you're rich and famous.

zentropy, May 19, 2004 IP
  8. jonnyplatt

jonnyplatt Peon

Best Answers:
    Zentropy - that's some offer! Any chance you could also offer a link or two to a charity fundraising site? (see my sig) :p
    can't help being cheeky when you see that kind of generosity!

jonnyplatt, May 20, 2004 IP
  9. Foxy

Best Answers:
    Since Jan 1 G is slow ? Golly I have not seen that at all, quite the contrary, I had one up in 24 hours and ranking for the title just the other day!

However it does take time after that. :)

Foxy, May 20, 2004 IP
  10. res17

res17 Peon

Best Answers:
    How come my poor little old site has none (PRzero)?
    www.rshydro.co.uk. It was submitted months ago..any recommendations?

res17, May 20, 2004 IP
  11. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    The main page has a flash intro. It's always better to have more text, try and work in some of the keywords in yout title into the actual content of the first page. Personally I don't like flash intros. I always skip past them because they are so slow to get their point across. To dramatic for a first meeting IMHO.

Also try focusing more on 1-2 keyphrases per page. Keep yout titles a little shorter (under 10 words), and remember that the shorter the title the more weight the keywords in it will have on relevancy.

Oh and on URLs (aka file names) stay away from spaces ... services_environmental%20monitoring.shtml ... nobody is going to search for environmental%20monitoring, they will search environmental monitoring though. So instead of spaces, or underscores even, use dashes. "environtmental-monitoring" is much easier for Google to understand.

not bad overall, but mainly you need time. While you waiting look for ways to get links to your site.
    As mentioned before the signature links in this forum will do very good. My site got a PR of 4 almost right away and the majority of my links, if not all are from this forum.

good luck :D

Such Great Heights, May 20, 2004 IP
  12. Foxy

Best Answers:
    There is another post of mine that echos this elsewhere

Foxy, May 20, 2004 IP
  13. spidermonkey

spidermonkey Peon

Best Answers:
    Allo mate! :)

Small world!

I'm glad the advice I gave earlier today didn't differ too much from what these guys wrote. Sorry my freeometer kicked-in and I had to respond to paid stuff in my inbox. Feel free to PM me from time to time - I often give free advice outside forums (as ye sow so shall ye reap).

I forgot to mention that I liked the idea of a shopping basket for quotes so much (on the instrumentation page that caused me to panic when I first looked at the source code) that I decided to pinch the idea for a project I have. If that was your idea - nice one!

Cheers

Mike

spidermonkey, May 20, 2004 IP
  14. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi foxyweb

I did say that it took three months to get past the home page. The home page was indexed in a day. None of the other pages were indexed at all for three months.

The good news is that once a site is established, Google picks up new pages pretty quickly. It may be a coincidence, but that didn't start hapenning until after PageRank appeared.

Craig

TechEvangelist, May 22, 2004 IP
  15. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    While backlinks are what you want to seek, there are also somethings you can do to augment your site for the 'bots. Two such are to expand page count substantially, and to be sure there is frequently changing content on ever page. There are tools to help with those things, and--self-serving note--I have some, all free. Surf http://seo-toys.com when you have a moment.

But go after those links.

Owlcroft, May 22, 2004 IP
  16. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Owlcroft, I changed the settings as you suggested for the weather. I received object not found. That tells me I have the directory right, but something is amiss with the 757 correct?

NewComputer, May 24, 2004 IP
  17. res17

res17 Peon

Best Answers:
    Any joy with those links Zentropy? I'm around all day today if you need any other info...

Cheers

Rob

res17, May 25, 2004 IP
  18. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    I've sent you a private message, but do let me note that, as the package notes explain, at present the package is not set to work with Canadian locations because Environment Canada, the ultimate source of the needed data, insists on a distinct copyright notice on any app using it. I like to be scrupulous in observing such requirements; even though I get the underlying XML data feed from a third party, it is they who have that copyright issue noted.

The difficulty is simple. The package is intended to be a relatively, small inconspicuous piece of stuff on a web page; it already has two attributions on it, the mandated one to the XML data source, and a small one to me. Adding a third could, at least for the "tiny" and "small" versions, make it look like there's more attribution than information.

I suppose I will make a variant that will detect Canadian locations and add the extra copyright line, but for the moment, that's the story.

But I'm not sure that's what the problem you're seeing is, hence the private message. I suspect it is a directory-location situation, but let's see when we talk.

Owlcroft, May 25, 2004 IP
  19. joshril

joshril Guest

Best Answers:
    I really have enjoyed this thread! I own a local computer repair/upgrade business and my site has been basically a local site. I revamped to give valuable information on spyware/adware removal, and I have some links to some free software, but I would really like to drive more traffic to the site. I really don't want to spend any money... Other than forums, what are some other good free advertising techniques??

Thanks,

Josh

http://www.amarillocomputerguy.com

joshril, Feb 28, 2005 IP
  20. Carol K

Carol K Guest

Best Answers:
    Josh, Have you given up on the "computer repair/upgrade business?" The spyware market is pretty saturated. You may be better off retaining your main page as "Amarillo Computer Repair." Then have an inside page "amarillocomputerguy.com/ihatespyware" etc. and promote it from inside. The reason for this is that your URL carries alot of weight as a keyword name.

So your title should be Amarillo Computer Repair and Upgrades. Then you should have several paragraphs like, "Looking to upgrade or repair your current computer? etc etc

You need to feed the SERPS some "tasty" food. :)

Just a suggestion.

Carol K, Feb 28, 2005 IP