1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Some bloggers simply can't write! Some bad bad posts out there!!!

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by ablaye, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Shalini Kagal

Shalini Kagal Member

Best Answers:
    hahaha...that's funny...or maybe a Booker Blog Prize? As long as it gets read, does it really matter?

Shalini Kagal, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  2. 0lgi

0lgi Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well this is a known marketing method but I would suggest you next time find something about John Chow as Jeremy doesn't care what other's say ;)

0lgi, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  3. Lazybuttons

Lazybuttons Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's like anything else, when blogging became popular, you get all kinds of people. Many of them don't have the nack for typing right.

Lazybuttons, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  4. ShowSquare

ShowSquare Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, would you like some sort of award for finding mistakes? Stop trying to find small flaws in other people's works, and focus on your own.

ShowSquare, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  5. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're prone to noticing mistakes in other websites, consider notifying the webmaster/blogger about typos or grammatical errors. If you frame your message correctly, you can easily transition into offering your writing or editing services. Many writers find excellent work this way, although blogs are usually rather personal and the "let me write it for you" tactic works best on websites - generally speaking.

internetauthor, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  6. uniqueasitis

uniqueasitis Peon

Best Answers:
    "I wonder sometimes if those bloggers ever took some English classes"

No offense but this line was on your blog. Shouldn't you have used the word "any" instead of "some."

uniqueasitis, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  7. Tudi

Tudi Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, Shoemoney writes about Internet Marketing mostly. He's a marketer, not a writer.

Now, if you have a blog about blogging, or copywriting, yes, I agree you must have absolute control over the language you're writing in. If you're writing on a specific subject and just want to get the information out there, mistakes can slip unnoticed.

Tudi, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  8. peejaydee

peejaydee Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. It's all about context. Appropriate skills for the appropriate place and audience.

peejaydee, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  9. Tudi

Tudi Peon

Best Answers:
    Besides, it's kind of funny reading Jeremy Schoemaker's posts ^^ He posts quite often in comparisson to other bloggers, so there's a nice read every day to go with that cup of coffee.

Tudi, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  10. INEEDCONTENT

INEEDCONTENT Guest

Best Answers:
    If its a personal blog then I don’t see the problem, many blogs are basically online diaries, or holiday trip reports, if the person chooses to allow people to read their personal thoughts I don’t see the need for perfect grammar, many people write exactly as they are thinking the words.

INEEDCONTENT, Jan 7, 2008 IP
  11. matts8008

matts8008 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    they need to be hiring someone for $.25 an hour like everyone here.

matts8008, Jan 7, 2008 IP
  12. ColorWP.com

ColorWP.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    English is not my main language and I learned it mainly through the Internet. I believe there is nothing wrong of me running a blog and sharing my knowledge and experience in some field, even with low english. As long as I am useful, I don't care if I missed a comma in my sentence. ;)

So, no I don't find it annoying to see blogs with poor english writing, because not everybody knows english perfectly. But sometimes it is funny to see that some people with first english language, can write such poorly.

ColorWP.com, Jan 7, 2008 IP
  13. Tudi

Tudi Peon

Best Answers:
    Spot on. Actually, 1 year ago or so I was offered a job worth around $3k that I simply couldn't work on because the buyer, an American could not make any sense if his life depended on it. If us non-native English speakers can learn their language, why can't they learn their own? :D

With blogs on the other hand, as long as you get your message across, it has little relevance if you're a perfect copywriter or not.

Tudi, Jan 7, 2008 IP
  14. jjpmarketing

jjpmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    This is why the American language is so difficult to learn. You have to understand, this is American English, not British English. They are two entirely different monsters.

Americans take any slang or word of the moment and incorporate it into their everyday language. We know our language. We can communicate with each other just fine. The problem is that you don't know all of our language.

In order to be able to comprehend every single dialect of the American English Language, you would have live and work in America. You would have to use the language all of the time and practically forget your old language. Even then, it probably wouldn't be enough.

I am certain that our language has assimilated so many different parts of different languages that it is impossible for anyone to learn this language late in life. By that I mean anyone older than 5-10 years old. Because by that time you already have your language and dialect etched on your brain. To learn a new and probably the most difficult language is just impossible.

But with that being said it is sometimes the same on the flip side of that argument. I could speak a little french in high school, but was always terrible with getting the proper word arrangements.

I might say "Go to the mall." but it would come out as "mall the go to."

That is probably a bad example, but that gives you a small picture of what I am talking about.

That is just word arrangement. Then there are the words from slang on both sides of the argument that would blow someone's mind that understood a language but had never heard that word spoken before. When you are trying to translate and there is a new off the wall word interjected into a sentence, you won't know what the other person is actually saying. By the time you figure half the sentence out, they have already spoken 4 or 5 more sentences.

So we do know our language very well. You don't know enough of our language. It isn't anyone's fault, but that is just the way it is.

Update:

I just wanted to add one more thing. There are varying levels of intelligence all over the world, and within each individual country. Ebonics would be extremely difficult for a foreigner to comprehend. I am from America, and sometimes I don't understand all of it myself. It is one of those sub-languages within a language. Americans are just notrious for making words and phrases up. That is what makes it so difficult for anyone to learn our language, because very few people speak perfect grammar. That is why it is American English and not British English.

jjpmarketing, Jan 7, 2008 IP
  15. Tudi

Tudi Peon

Best Answers:
    Very wrong IMo. You need to understand that us non-US people are constantly bombarded with these new slang words. We develop the ability to understand them quite easily. And no, it doesn't take that much to figure it out, us non-US'ers are not braindead you know :)

It seems to me that you don't posess the ability to put yourself on the other side of the fence. Please understand that being an international language, people from outside the US contribute to the "slang" you're talking about almost as much as you guys over there do.

Oh and I did live in the U.S. for a short amount of time. It helped improve my language, but not as much as the years of posting on English forums, blogs, reading and writing English articles and seeing errors get corrected by Microsoft Word :)

One thing I do agree with you though is that American English and UK English have more differences than anyone cares to admit.

P.S. Please don't take this as an invitation to a flame war, I'm just stating my point of view, which happens to be different than yours :) Cheers!

Tudi, Jan 7, 2008 IP
  16. jjpmarketing

jjpmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    I understand completely. I figured you would disagree. I tried to convey that I did understand. When I took french in high school, which was over 10 years ago, learning the language was easy when in written form. However, to learn that language by listening to some speak was completely different.

I also tried to get you to understand that I know we take every word and make it our own. That is what makes our language so expressive. We Americans have 100's of ways of saying a phrase with the exact same meaning. It isn't because we are always using different words, it is also because we have dozens of dialects in America. Some dialects are so off, that they create new words because they don't sound like the written version of the original word.

Oh and I never said foreigners were braindead. But yes a lot of slang words would throw the typical foreigner off. You are not typical. The fact that you read and write english practically every day, makes it a lot easier for you to pick up on.

But anywho... to put it to rest. We can agree to disagree. :D

17. Tudi

Tudi Peon

Best Answers:
    Idd, writing/reading is one thing and listening/speaking is another. For example, for the past year, all I did was read and write in English. Recently, a panel of American professors from NYU came to my town for a conference and my folks knew some of them and invited them over to dinner. For the first 30 minutes or so, I had trouble making words come out of my mouth, although in my head the sentence was already formed and "sounded" fine :) But I think it's just about lack of practice. After all, if you don't ride your bike for 5 years, you might have problems getting back on it for the first 20 minutes, but eventually you will get your former skills back.

Tudi, Jan 7, 2008 IP
  18. jjpmarketing

jjpmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    That is why people in norther parts of the US, can barely speak spanish. While people in southern texas speak it fluently. If you are around people speaking a language all the time, you pick up on it a lot easier than just reading it in a book. Sometimes I think a persons mouth and a persons brain operate on two completely different wavelengths. There have been times where I experienced what you were talking about. Sounds right in your mind, but when you speak it comes out all wrong. It sometimes feels like your brain is working faster than your mouth can speak... or your mouth is speaking faster then your brain can send the signal to talk.

19. emigre

emigre Peon

Best Answers:
    emigre, Jan 7, 2008 IP
  20. jjpmarketing

jjpmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    I blame it on the new keyboards. It used to be that you could feel every letter being pressed. Now they are so light there is always typos in everything... even on big sites like yahoo and msn.

Of course that is still no excuse for bad grammar. :p