1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

solid or liquid design?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by miko67, Apr 5, 2005.

I'm just starting out on a 4-new-websites-in-a-row journey and I'm wondering what design frame to use.

I used to make everything solid 800*600 (approximately) so just about everybody can see it, leaving me with most control over appearances.

Now I'm wondering if I should either "migrate" to a classic two or three column liquid design that fills out the screen, or

make a new solid design scheeme that fits with 1024*768px. This due to the fact that the smaller screen sizes are hastly disappearing.

Please let me have your own favourite opinion about template style, design and size

Also - and most urgently - if I decide on the last option, what sizes are optimal when you have to take in to account the browser menu and such?

If there's too much rambling here it's partly due to the fact that I need to go to bed now. Trying to keep up both full time accounting job and part time webmastering (which allways seem to end up taking a lot more time than I got these days... oh, my poor kids :( )

miko67, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  2. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    it's really about audience if you go solid (or fixed). if you run a gaming site ... 1024 is fine. but judging by the links in your sig ... i would tend to think you have a more mature audience. if that's the case ... design for 800 x 600 as many older people with eye sight not as sharp as it used to be, will set the monitors to this res.

i have done liquid sites ... but if you are into pixel perfection, it can get to be more trouble than i feel it's worth.

i have created these sites to be liquid - http://www.superiordeal.com & http://www.thelimoagent.com ... but the client frequently asks "can you add this" and then things be to be more trouble then they are worth. (although it's not that bad).

i consider myself decent with CSS ... i notice the "designer" type web developers tend to stick to fixed width as well ... i suspect for those reasons.

there are clever was to make liquid layouts too ... for the most past, this is fixed ( http://www.skattabrain.com ) ... except the links on the right side stretch is there is space to stretch.

skattabrain, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  3. Rhosyn

Rhosyn Peon

Best Answers:
    I have this same problem, as a graphic designer I want to design, but it gets frustrating when things do not center and Im not good at all with CSS I just muddle along, some do not like lots of little scroll bars and what not, and I never know what to do for the best, I love to design but then find that half the net see a small box slaped up the left hand side when I see a lovely page in 600x800 perhaps there is a rule im breaking out there? Design less use plain more *shudder*, but that goes against the grain ;)

Rhosyn, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  4. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Design Agent, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  5. Jim bob 9 pants

Jim bob 9 pants Peon

Best Answers:
    I get good feed back about the fact that my sight "moves and fills the page"

I prefer using the space, its there so use it is my theory, although I understand the pros of a fixed site.

Jim bob 9 pants, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  6. dustin

dustin Peon

Best Answers:
    I would not make a fixed design for 1024 width. Lots of people don't have that resolution, and horizontal scrolling sucks arse.

I personally prefer liquid designs. Look at what a nice and simple liquid design these forums have :D

dustin, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  7. grantmoney

grantmoney Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the problem i find with liquid designs is the page design always ends up being very square (unless you end up using empty divs/spans for curved corners). i do prefer liquid designs for the sake of taking up as much of the browser as possible (especially if you have the navigation along the side), but not at the expense of the design. go with whatever works!

grantmoney, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  8. oalhajjar

oalhajjar Guest

Best Answers:
    I think for the very least you need to design in 800 for fixed. There is a great deal of people still using 800 and it would be a damn shame to lose them because the page doesn't fit.

oalhajjar, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  9. rose

rose Peon

Best Answers:
    800 X 600

But I think that now, there is more users that use 1024 X 768. In my last site I had used 1024 X 768.

rose, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  10. marinaroz

marinaroz Member

Best Answers:
    I think it doesn't really matter as long as everyone can see your site comfortably.

marinaroz, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  11. Corey Bryant

Corey Bryant Texan at Heart

Best Answers:
    I still build for the 800 resolution and assume that the person that has the 800X600 screen also has his screen maximized and not. A pretty good debate can be found here: Fixed v. Fluid - Round 1 (of many, I'm sure)

Corey Bryant, Apr 15, 2005 IP