1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Software to convert vector graphics to raster (or best to ask for graphic in both)

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by Privateer, Sep 11, 2012.

Hi,

I will shortly need some logos and headers created for me. I’d like to have them created in vector graphics format so that they can be enlarged or reduced with no detriment to the image. However I would then like to convert the vector graphics to raster graphics (i.e. .BMP, .JPEG, .PNG etc).

Can you please recommend any (preferable free or inexpensive) software to convert vector graphics to raster graphics. I’m running Windows 7 on a PC.

I believe that Inkscape might be what I’m looking for. Has anybody here used it, if so will it do what I want?

Alternatively is it best or easier to ask for logos and headers in bother vector and raster formats?

Many thanks,

Privateer, Sep 11, 2012 IP
  2. WeddiGo

WeddiGo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Photoshop will do it, but if you don't have it just ask for both formats, takes a second fro the designer to save the files in other formats

WeddiGo, Sep 22, 2012 IP
  3. Privateer

Privateer Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes but at £667.20 for Photoshop CS6 (from Adobe website), Photoshop is neither free nor inexpensive. Even from other shops Photoshop will cost too much for what I wish to use it for.

Yes that is probably the way to go. But for logos it would be nice to be able to convert the vector graphics to any size - one day the website, another for baseball cap or shirt, any possibly even the car.

I've just found a piece of software called XnConvert which is supposed to do what I want. I'll download it and see whether it does the job. I'll post back after I've done the tests.

Privateer, Sep 23, 2012 IP
  4. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Open source photoshop alternative here http://www.gimp.org/

http://pixlr.com/editor/ totally tricked out online editor will do it as well.

That being said, I don't exactly condone piracy(stupid reference in the first place) I don't know of anyone who has not sniped photoshop from the web at some point. Its all over the flippen place. Adobe is not too entirely bothered by folks who use this stuff once in a blue moon to do something. It actually helps them get future customers.

Hope that helps,
    Nigel

Nigel Lew, Sep 23, 2012 IP
  5. ryanlie

ryanlie Peon

Best Answers:
    ryanlie, Sep 23, 2012 IP
  6. Privateer

Privateer Peon

Best Answers:
    Many thanks for your answers.

The one logo file that I have is an .eps file, which I'm having a bit of a problem converting - although I do have raster version of it so this case is not a problem.

AS already been suggested, I'll ask for logo in both vector and raster (jpg/png).

What is the most common format that you would expect a logo designer to provide the logo in? Is it .eps, .svg, or something else? Sorry for the dumb question but I really don'y know much about vector graphics.

Privateer, Sep 24, 2012 IP
  7. Privateer

Privateer Peon

Best Answers:
    I kinda understand that philosophy, similar to Adobe making Adobe Reader free across as many platforms as possible to make their .pdf format the standard and then charging for the .pdf editing software. However I prefer to use legitimate software (as opposed to piracy) so I'll go for open source.

Privateer, Sep 24, 2012 IP
  8. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nigel Lew, Sep 24, 2012 IP
  9. Privateer

Privateer Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I was using Adobe reader as an example of brand marketing.

Thanks for the link I'll have a look.

Privateer, Sep 25, 2012 IP
  10. arunt

arunt Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Adobe Photoshop is best for creating logo and headers in both format.

arunt, Oct 7, 2012 IP
  11. Nothingstopspeed

Nothingstopspeed Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Frankly speaking, Photoshop is a complicated app for most of us. For me, I'd prefer Snagit a easy but less powerful picture app.

Nothingstopspeed, Oct 8, 2012 IP
  12. atomweb

atomweb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Always ask for AI(vector format) and PNG file

atomweb, Oct 8, 2012 IP