1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Software to avoid click fraud to publishers - pls write one

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by iskandar, Jul 9, 2005.

I have been reading a few posts concerning publishers who get booted out from adsense by ppl who clicked their ads repeatedly.

My question is, why haven't i see a software or script written to avoid this from happening to publishers? Can't a good programmer write someything that would report suspicious activity to publishers, log the ip no, and disabled the clicks from being counted, and report the ip to google?

I am newbie and i don't know much about programming and adsense but i would like to know if someone is working on it or are thinking of creating one.

It sure is scary considering the fact that one can get booted out from adsense by the clicks of the mouse

iskandar, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  2. webbom

webbom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is a great idea iskandar, I think I will make a script for this. What other features come to your mind that could be useful?

webbom, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  3. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the most IMPORTANT one is to stop the click to be counted when a person from the same IP tends to click more than 3 times... or when the no of click does not seem to make sense ( i know this is quite general).

I wish this could be a dream comes true for all adsense publishers.

Thanks for willing to do that. It would be a blessing for me ( and others, i hope !)

iskandar, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  4. freakrot

freakrot Peon

Best Answers:
    I have already discussed this on several threads here..

My idea was to make a click tracker that would log the ip of the visitor who clicks, then put some code in your pages that checks the IP against a click table and if a visitor as clicked X amount of times within X period of time (X = whatever thresholds you set), then either it will display adsense in test mode (possible but don't know how), display ads from alternate sources, or display no ads at all.

Using freely available simple click trackers, it could be easy to develop, but the main thing to do is make sure it works for other browsers like mozilla and firefox to be truly effective.

I'm not an expert at PHP either so, not sure I could develop this myself.

freakrot, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  5. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Whatever script we want to create, please ask permission from uncle Google 1st, I believe this script will somehow will affected the orginal adsense code ie how ads send to publisher etc., and I'm sure that google won't be happy when someone mess with their code. The best is, try make a beta version, propose it to google and wait for their approval.

alang, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  6. webdesignlist

webdesignlist Peon

Best Answers:
    they wont comment on individual code etc - i have already tried...

However, i am sure that its easy to do if combined with an exisiting click tracker..

something like this....

<php if ip address has clicked > 1 on adsense from this URL(maybe whole site), then print nothing else print: >
    <adsense js code>
    <end of php code>
    blah blah blah
    <clicktracker js code>

This code is for people who dont understand php etc - and is my lame attempt at making code look like english..

Im sure that i could implement this in minutes if using the php click tracker script from monetizers.

webdesignlist, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  7. exaro

exaro Peon

Best Answers:
    i see what you mean WDL, like using if(); and tracking the clicks from an IP, mabye in a text file, or sql database.

But it might be a problem if someone doesn't have a static IP address

exaro, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  8. LcF

LcF Peon

Best Answers:
    Consider most click frauds are from open proxy servers , how about banning open proxy server from access our website?

LcF, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  9. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    wow, I will lost lots of visitors then....

alang, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  10. GStar

GStar Peon

Best Answers:
    is it possible to write a script against them? because if someone takes your adsense code off your site and uses that on his own pages and clicks them you won't be able to check and prevent that. it would be great if G would optimize the checks (but i think they already did and it has other reasons if a publisher is kicked out)

cheers
    "the programmer" :)

GStar, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  11. freakrot

freakrot Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup, have a couple tables, a click tracker-ip table with date/time and IP, and another table with a list of open proxys. When a visitors comes to the site, it first checks the proxy table, and if the IP is on the proxy table, then display filler ads (non ppc) instead of adsense ads, and skip to end of routine. Next, check the visitors IP against a click tracker table query that checks for clicks from that IP within the previous X hours, and if there are X clicks in that time frame, then again, display filler ads, and continue. If neither of those conditions exist, then display adsense ads.

Wow, another good point. What's to stop someone from viewing your source, grabbing the adsense code, and slapping it on some spam page, and clicking away??
    Google needs a way for publishers to control which domains can display the ads? Like in the adsense management pages, have a tab for domains to show ads on.

freakrot, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  12. Darrin Ward

Darrin Ward Active Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely - I had someone copy and paste and entire page of mine - in cluding AS code, and i know for a fact that can't be good. It's only going to bite one person in the azz - ME.

Darrin Ward, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  13. kimi

kimi Peon

Best Answers:
    IMHO, google must, in the first place, to include the script in their ads script if they seriously want to protect the interest of the AdWords advertisers.... and protect the publisher too.

I think, this is a very simple job, why G do not want to make it?

Everytime I want to login to my account, I pray my account is okay :(

kimi, Jul 10, 2005 IP
  14. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    Google won't include such script in pub's account I think. By not including that, they can nail down those publishers who intend to misuse adsense.

maverick, Jul 10, 2005 IP
  15. MaxCage

MaxCage Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is that being creatively destructive? lol.

MaxCage, Jul 10, 2005 IP
  16. TooHappy

TooHappy Guest

Best Answers:
    Google knows about this and can see the owner of the domain. Running someones code on a bad domain would not work.

A script like this would be nice!

TooHappy, Jul 10, 2005 IP
  17. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I've thought about this at length and the problem is that all somebody needs is your adsense id in order to spam you. Even if you stop serving them ads, all they need is for them to load once through one open proxy or another.

There's nothing you can do about it unless google adds some sort of authentication hash to serve dynamically with your ads.

nevetS, Jul 10, 2005 IP
  18. webdesignlist

webdesignlist Peon

Best Answers:
    How about......

In the script that is written..........

you specifiy a list of domains that you have with adsense on.. and any clicks from domains you are not aware of is flagged up (email sent to u etc)...

At least then you can tell google the exact problem that is occuring ?

Better than just guessing i suppose?

webdesignlist, Jul 10, 2005 IP
  19. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    again that's not something you can do. Even with URL channels, you have to specify the url before it tracks any data on it. I have url channels for three domains I have adsense on (including DP) and my aggregate revenue is still a little higher than the revenue that is reported, so it's not a fool-proof system.

I think the best you can do is track things yourself as best you can (for instance with asRep) and send an e-mail to google if you sense anything funny going on.

If I had a reasonable list of bad neighborhood proxy IPs, then I could code something that didn't push adsense to those IPs, but like I said in my previous post, if someone is even a little bit determined it would take 30 seconds to get around it.

It just gives more credence to the idea that a) if you are making any significant revenue you should run adsense under separate corporate identities; and b) you should not rely on adsense as a source of revenue.

nevetS, Jul 10, 2005 IP
    Weirfire likes this.
  20. webdesignlist

webdesignlist Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course its something that i can do - its a VERY simple bit of php code.

<? if domain ad is served on is not in my list then email me so that i can inform google; ?>

(not the real code of course - for non-coders).

webdesignlist, Jul 11, 2005 IP