1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Socialized Health Care - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by kadesmith, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Must be great to come from the healthy angle Mr BRUm. Just because you don't look at it as a down-payment, doesn't mean it isn't. You'll be very sick, very soon and you'll be glad you have the NHS to pay your bill rather than be handed a huge bill in order to receive your treatment. I hope you come back here and praise the NHS for being there for you when you really needed them.

The only certainty in life is one day even you will become very sick and will need a doctor / health service to sort you out.

Bushranger, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  2. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have principles though. Even if I supported the NHS, I wouldn't want everyone else to be forced to do so in some fascist like way.

If you had read my post properly, you would have noticed that I had stated that we should be able to choose.

Shove your illness omen up your arse. Wishing illness on others is low.

BRUm, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  3. Bushranger

Best Answers:
    Not wishing illness on you Mr BRUm, just stating the facts (as you like it yeah?).

EVERYBODY gets sick, even YOU. It's inevitable for ALL OF US was my point.

Whilst I agree you should have the right to choose many things in life, I also know we have no control over an illness. You cannot choose to not get sick. At some stage, no matter what you 'want', one day soon you will be seriously sick.

Isn't this why you and I live in society rather than some deserted island somewhere? Because at times we need each other.

What is it you are happy to pay taxes for? I guess there will be something there I don't agree with. Road tax? Whilst your taxes can pay for yours & my roads, mine will pay for yours and my health needs. It all balances out in the end.

4. kaethy

kaethy Guest

Best Answers:
    And then if people choose not to participate, and they get hit by lightening, who pays for their care?
    Or do you just let them die in the street when they can't produce their insurance card?

kaethy, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  5. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do I need to spell it out? It really isn't that complicated.

Kaethy: Say I know I can afford private healthcare, then I should have the bloody choice to refuse to pay taxes that contribute to the NHS. I shouldn't definitely not be forced to pay for others' health-care. Whilst this may be meagre of me, it's not illegal, nor is it any business of the government. If people choose not to 'participate', whom cannot afford it, and then become ill, then it's their fault! God, I hate how "what if this, what if that" and "moddy-coddle" this country and my fellow countrymen have become. Did you think about charities? Free clinics? Some communities may have free health-care, but that would be up to the local democracy to decide, not national. Do some research on already existing privatised health-care before you try and argue against it.

I don't agree with road tax, Bushranger, nor do I agree with just about all taxes. You stated in your post that "[I will] be very sick, very soon..." - that is certainly not inevitable. Most of my family have avoided this, as have I, thus far. Besides, you're both arguing completely irrelevant points. I know illness itself is highly likely, but it's the way we deal with it which is the issue.

You two need a lesson in Libertarianism:

The smaller our communities are and the more decentralised our governments, the less problematic and complicated picking and choosing taxes are. Fact.

BRUm, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  6. Bushranger

Best Answers:
    You should move to the US where you pay your taxes for other shit and still don't get health care then. Or some deserted island where you don't need to pay for my surgery.

Do I need to spell it out for you too? You live in a democratic country where more people voted to pay for NHS. Either accept that, or move.

7. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Let's not get immature about it. These are serious issues.

I'd love to live in the USA, but at the moment, with globalisation raping just about everywhere, there really isn't much difference between our two countries, so I may as well stay here with my family.

Although I really do wish I could own a firearm :(

By the way, you're up early. I assume you live in England? If so, where abouts?

BRUm, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  8. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it is nice to own a firearm, great to protect yourself and your family if you need to without depending on the government. It's nice that they give an effort, but, when I was working LEO there were plenty of times we just don't make it there in time to prevent something.

The people against guns say mass murderers, people flipping out, etc. They don't keep statistics on how many crimes were prevented because the person had a gun. Why? Because most of the time the cops never know about it.

hostlonestar, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  9. mmikeyy

mmikeyy Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually we didn't, it was introduced after the 2nd world war in an effort to increase employment and provide a health care system to look after those that could not afford it, and to also help the soldiers returning. Whilst I agree with the national health service, it's introduction was about as democratic as the UK signing the Lisbon treaty.

BRUm, lets put it like this. My dad worked for 35 years, without stop. He now suffers from diabetes, low blood pressure and as a result of his tablets he also suffers from depression. He receives plenty of things for free as a result of his illness. Would he be able to pay for private health care and his prescriptions? No.

mmikeyy, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  10. Bushranger

Best Answers:
    Actually you did. You voted in a party that supported the NHS therefore you voted for the NHS.

Bushranger, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  11. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    They weren't even alive then, how did they vote for it or vote in a party that set it up?

hostlonestar, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  12. Bushranger

Best Answers:
    What, at last elections a majority of English weren't alive?

A political party says this is what I believe in, please vote for me.

If the majority of English didn't want NHS then they vote in a party that doesn't support the NHS.

The party that they did vote in supports the NHS.

13. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bushranger, you can fuck off, telling me to move.

You're just bitter because you've failed. Most people opposed the NHS in 1948.

Every major party supports the NHS, so here we go with choices again.

BRUm, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  14. Bushranger

Best Answers:
    Failed how exactly? You said it yourself right there. Look I bolded it to make it simple. :)

So you 'failed' really!

15. kaethy

kaethy Guest

Best Answers:
    You didnt answer my question, who pays, OR do we let the person die in the street? Of course it would be their fault if they dont participate, but then what happens? What is your response?

It's not nice of you to tell me I need lessons.

Saying smaller communities will help is not logical. The world population is increasing, not decreasing. We will be having larger communities as time goes on, not smaller, so that's not any kind of solution.

BTW, I am a volunteer at a free clinic, are you?

kaethy, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  16. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Having a decentralized government is logical. Are you in support of central planning?

ncz_nate, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  17. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just because the three main parties support something does not make it right, you know that. They're just about all the same. The West is pretty much a one party state.

Labour, Liberal Democrats and the Tories favour the E.U., do you think that's right? I certainly don't, and I'm willing to bet the majority of this country don't either.

So there you go. "Failed" again I suppose :rolleyes:

Kaethy, while it may not be nice to say you need lessons, it is always a good thing to research something and it's opposition before arguing. Local communities acting as sovereign constituencies is certainly not illogical, and your statement does not disprove this.

I assume you live somewhere in Britain and therefore live in a constituency, like myself. How would be illogical for my, or your, 'seat' to determine its own taxation and laws? They're big enough, yet small enough to prevent the disadvantages of centralisation.

BRUm, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  18. Bakai

Bakai Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm just going to state the truth of why I don't want socialized health care:

I do not want to wait in line behind dirty poor people for health care. They are poor because they are irresponsible and lazy.

Bakai, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  19. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unless they're genuinely disabled or likewise unable to not be poor through no fault of their own, I agree.

BRUm, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  20. Bakai

Bakai Guest

Best Answers:
    Very true, I am all for helping those with legitimate disabilities.

Bakai, Apr 9, 2009 IP