1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Social Networking for Developers?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by kushHaBit, Nov 10, 2018.

I'm doing some research to see what I will need to study up on in order to reenter the website development market. I have been out of the market for 15 years. I last used notepad to write HTML & CSS and I know much has changed. lol Can someone point me in a good direction so I may ask the right people questions about how much education I will need to be successful in this business again? Thank you in advance for your response and consideration

India

kushHaBit, Nov 10, 2018 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hi India

This is as good a place as any - what kind of work are you wanting to do? design? development? marketing/promotion? virtual assistant? server management?

sarahk, Nov 10, 2018 IP
  3. kushHaBit

kushHaBit Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm actually starting my own web development business again. I have the unique opportunity of being able to go back to college, however I do not know what the trends are now so I do not know what areas of study that I need to concentrate on. I create graphics and logos as well as develop websites. I don't have any training in CGI scripts or JavaScript and I don't know if they are even relevant now. I'm not sure what Virtual Assistant is but if it's trending I'd like to know more about it. I do know what server management is and I have 1 year of college in Computer Programming however that was back in 1992, logic hasn't changed but the languages have. I'm open to all possibilities until I can narrow down my field of study. Thank you for responding ☺

kushHaBit, Nov 11, 2018 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    At the most basic level you could get away with knowing PHP and Javascript.
    You need to have an opinion on Bootstrap and Jquery and decide if you're going to work with frameworks (CakePHP, Symfony, etc) or CMS (wordpress, joomla, drupal, etc).
    You need to think about the type of client you want - is there an industry you know well?
    Do you just want to create online sales catalogues or do you want to develop custom code that puts a company's point of difference online?
    What about app development - do you want to add skills like buzztouch, flutter, or react to your skill set so that you can offer clients a way to interact with their existing clients?

I freelance but I'm not interested in a company that just wants a site that sells its services, has an about us page and a phone number. I prefer sites that streamline back-end processes, have complex reporting and significant custom development. It's harder to find clients like that but you end up with a long-term relationship. "The public" will never see 99% of the work I do.

You'll have your own answers to all of those questions - in the process of doing your research you'll find your way.

sarahk, Nov 11, 2018 IP
  5. kushHaBit

kushHaBit Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much for your information, I will do some research on these to clarify how I want to proceed. If you wouldn't mind I'd like to know more about what you do

kushHaBit, Nov 11, 2018 IP