1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Social media referrals from tinyURL - what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by ViSm123, Jun 11, 2015.

I have Dashboards set up in Analytics to track social network referrals. I have noticed that a large proportion of pageviews are attributed to TinyURL (16%) and I want to establish exactly where this traffic is coming from.

We use shortened URLs in our Twitter feed, so I'm assuming that it will be from here, but I can't be 100% certain, as we do have 30% of the pageviews attributed to Twitter, and as these are all shortened links I'm not sure why some would be coming through differently. Our Twitter feed works as an automated RSS feed, which colleagues then retweet out to their own followers. Would the retweet affect the redirect code and so confuse Analytics? Or would that only happen if the user copy and pasted the URL into a new browser instead of clicking the link?

My other theory is that these may be completely independent Twitter posts by colleagues, who have generated the shortened URL themselves instead of retweeting from the RSS - would this make Analytics recognise the shortening site as the referrer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ViSm123, Jun 11, 2015 IP