1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Social bookmarking vs Social networking for traffic

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by uniqueasitis, Jul 22, 2007.

Most people often use the phrases social networking and social bookmarking interchangeably. However, there is a difference between the two.

Social Networking

Social networking means to use a website to connect with other people. It does not necessarily involve bookmarking internet resources. Myspace, for example, is a social networking website, where people get together and share their experience(s) in the form of pictures, blogs, flash animations, comments, etc.

Additionally, websites such as forums and chat rooms also fall under the category of social networking because they provide a medium for connecting people who have similar interests.

Social Bookmarking

Social bookmarking on the other hand means to share internet resources with friends and family. Digg, 30tags, Redbook, etc. are examples of social bookmarking websites. A person bookmarks a website which other members of the website can view, rate, comment, etc.

As you can see, there is an overlap in the two types of websites but social networking websites differ from social bookmarking websites primarily in the sense that they do not require bookmarking a resource. Instead, you can share opinions and ideas as opposed to a social bookmarking website where users usually only communicate by means of bookmarks to resources and comments about those bookmarks.

Additionally, members on a social bookmarking website tend to only connect with people they know. Becoming a part of a group is much more difficult on a social bookmarking website than it is on a social networking website.

Keeping these things in mind, people often use social networking websites to drive traffic to their website while they use social bookmarking websites to get backlinks to their website which helps increase the website's search engine rankings.

Social bookmarking - It's all in a reputation

The best way to get traffic from a social bookmarking website, is to first become a trusted member of the website. The only way to become a trusted member is to bookmark websites which people find interesting.

Once you have developed trust, then people will be keen to view your bookmarks because they will presume all your bookmarks are worth viewing.

As a matter of fact, you can if can build a very good reputation then people will be forced to acknowledge your bookmarks even if they do not like them because they will fear uproar from your other supporters!

I have seen this happen on Digg myself where Kevin Rose, a highly respected digger, digged a website and a viewer did not like the website, but digged it anyway and commented that he did not want to digg the website but it was Kevin Rose so he had to!

Thus, by combining both social networking and social bookmarking, webmasters can skyrocket traffic to their website and get a backlink to their website. The key, though, is to first build a reputation.

As I always say, the trade off on the internet for money is effort. If you want quick results then you must invest money, and if you want free results you must invest effort!

Happy socializing.

uniqueasitis, Jul 22, 2007 IP
    seogirl likes this.
  2. JohnG

JohnG Peon

Best Answers:
    Great post!!

For the longest time I kept getting
    confused between the two because
    people do use them interchangeably
    and then I realized.

I find that I get totally different types
    of visitors from the two.

John

JohnG, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  3. MasterG

MasterG Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice post and clear for me. Thank you very much.

MasterG, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  4. seogirl

seogirl Banned

Best Answers:
    :) nice post.Though i knew the difference, but this is something which, others, new to it can refer to , before sounding stupid.

seogirl, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  5. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Nice post. Based upon another thread, I think what I am looking for is some social bookmarking scripts/software with an ability to form groups and share similar tastes. If anyone can recommend a script/platform, I would appreciate it.

Rich

richrf, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  6. BrianJump

BrianJump Active Member

Best Answers:
    bookmarking demon.........?

BrianJump, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  7. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I am looking for something different. Bookmarking Demon is designed to get backlinks form social bookmarking sites. What I am looking to do is sort of build a social bookmarking/social networking site. Social Media by Entertainment Scripts is pretty close to what I am looking for but they seem to be new, without access to their forums, or any trial package, so it would be a bit of a roll the dice with them. However, if someone has experiences with this software or something similar, I would be very interested. Thanks.

Rich

richrf, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  8. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Very interesting reading!
    Thanks for sharing this info :)

zexy, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  9. goldenpeacock

goldenpeacock Peon

Best Answers:
    Great explanation. I agree totally with the comments about it taking time and effort and you have to be willing to give first before you will get. You need to add value to the sites instead of just spamming them. Great job.

goldenpeacock, Nov 12, 2008 IP
  10. sbglobal79

sbglobal79 Banned

Best Answers:
    Good explanation about difference between social bookmarking & social networking .

sbglobal79, Aug 20, 2009 IP
  11. ukhotels

ukhotels Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice post, difference between of those.

ukhotels, Aug 20, 2009 IP
  12. Hagen

Hagen Peon

Best Answers:
    Very true. You can still use social bookmarking sites to build backlinks to your own sites (and in some cases, to get your site indexed quickly), but if you're talking about making it onto the front page of Digg or Propeller, you have to incorporate some networking efforts and make friends with other users of the site.

Hagen, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  13. sbglobal79

sbglobal79 Banned

Best Answers:

thats the truth.................social networking differ from social bookmarking......that is such a interested thoughts which you are share with everyone..............

Thanks for that......

sbglobal79, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  14. joelchrist

joelchrist Banned

Best Answers:
    Excellent post. You made me knew the difference between social book marking and social networking. Thanks.

joelchrist, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  15. LaPoChE

LaPoChE Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice postman! Very helpfull and interesting

LaPoChE, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  16. sbglobal79

sbglobal79 Banned

Best Answers:
    can someone provide us social network website list ?

sbglobal79, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  17. funmoneys

funmoneys Peon

Best Answers:
    Great post. Something to keep in mind.

funmoneys, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  18. JeffCliff

JeffCliff Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the share, this post will be of great value to many.

Nice work!

JeffCliff, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  19. MyFortuneNow

MyFortuneNow Guest

Best Answers:
    This is a great post, most people mix these up from time to time (me included). Thank you for shining some light on this issue. I use both of these interchangeably. I think combined they are great ways for building traffic.

-JC

MyFortuneNow, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  20. anisbd

anisbd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice post.. keep it

anisbd, Aug 25, 2009 IP