1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So you think Pagerank makes your website successful?

Discussion in 'Google' started by vicdigi, Mar 17, 2008.

So you think Pagerank makes your website successful?

I'd like to invite you all to share your opinions on:

Why Pagerank will make your website successful?

And

Why Pagerank is nothing but a little a green bogey at the top of your screen?

Please share your opinions...

vicdigi, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  2. Possibility

Possibility Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that it is between the two ideas - PR definitely can help, if not just for the ability of being able to charge more for ad space ;)

On the other hand, many webmasters put way too much power in PR.

Possibility, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  3. Jen_Peoples

Jen_Peoples Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it means your site is a success--many can get it just from buying or obtaining good backlinks. But I do think it adds the extra moolah to your pockets:

link sales, ad sales, and heck even my google adsense seems to go up when my PRs increase (could be coincidence...)

I think too much clout may be put on PR too.

Jen_Peoples, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  4. kingofsanda

kingofsanda Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the only thing pr is good for is if you want to sell ad space you can charge more money
    for a web site with a higher page rank. On the other hand I do not think it's very important
    because it is not directly related to traffic.

kingofsanda, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  5. foreststone

foreststone Peon

Best Answers:
    PR only one part of a successful site, you also need good content and good promotion:D

foreststone, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  6. jackpage

jackpage Peon

Best Answers:
    It has it's uses, but it's not the be-all-end-all.

I like using it as a factor to help me determine if I'm linking to something Google considers a bad neighborhood. If I see a site that's been around for over a year for instance and it's got a PR0, I'm going to wonder why, especially when it's pretty easy to get at least a PR1. As mentioned, it's also useful for selling ad space, though anyone with brains is going to want to see some traffic stats as well.

With that said, PR isn't going to magically bring you traffic, and I think people have this idea in their head that as soon as their PR increases, they're going to suddenly get this mass incursion of traffic to that website. Doesn't work that way. One example I've told people before is I remember sometime last summer I had a blog with a PR3 that was pulling 50 or so hits a day regularly from Google. Another PR2 blog was getting around 2000 a day with better marketing and far more backlinks with keywords I actually had a shot at ranking for at the time. Yet another PR2 site of mine was ranking number 2 for a keyword bringing in an additional 700 hits to my network a day.

It's a useful tool at times. Nothing more or less.

jackpage, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  7. tapanp

tapanp Peon

Best Answers:
    IT's only for to Know Our Page Impression in Google Mind.. Nothing More than That.

tapanp, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  8. SEOBusiness

SEOBusiness Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think pagerank is important,some famous site got pagerank 7-10.If you can get your site pagerank 7+,that would be really something.

SEOBusiness, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  9. hostm

hostm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    page rank is very important for my websites, from those which have PR = 0 - I get just 0.5 $ for a link a month, and PR 3 - 2.5 - 3 $ for a link, I think to get 2.5 - 3 $ for a link is better...

hostm, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  10. cheapez

cheapez Active Member

Best Answers:
    as you see, most higher page rank sites do better than lower ones.
    Visitors are more important than having a long green bar but no visitors.

cheapez, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  11. vicdigi

vicdigi Banned

Best Answers:

Jackpage, I think you have given a valid explaination.

Far too many website owners give Pagerank too much enthesis. Where directory owners are concerned this seems to be the case all too often and I must admit, I even started out this way.

The success of a website lies in getting targetted traffic which in turn will lead to sales. This is especially true of lets say the travel industry whereby many start off with valuable content and an excellent marketing strategy consisting of:

Good content
    Well oranised functioning website
    Affiliate program - traffic
    Media advertising - traffic
    Press releases - traffic
    Google, MSN and Yahoo adwords campaign - traffic
    Advertsing on related websites - traffic

Personally, TARGETTED TRAFFIC is king for any website wishing to become successful.

Pagerank, if it comes, when it comes should never be the focus of any online business. If you manage to get pagerank to your website, and if you manage to get a high PR at that - then take it as a bonus and smile in the fact that you are working your website the right way.

WEBSITE OWNERS - don't concentrate on pagerank (it's just a little green bogey on your screen.

WEBSITE OWNERS - CONCENTRATE on building your website into something glorious that offers user something they are looking for - the rest will always follow......

That's my fiddy p

vicdigi, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  12. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PR will not bring any traffic, so its useless in this regard.

But all successful sites like DP have a good PR, so I guess, if we manage to get a good PR, we will some how be successful :)

angilina, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  13. wardo

wardo Peon

Best Answers:
    I think a good pagerank is just one aspect of a successful site. Pagerank is not as important as it used to be but still a good indicator of how well a site is linked to.

wardo, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  14. arcel

arcel Banned

Best Answers:
    imo. having a good PR means that your site has quality sites on it and that makes online users visit your site.

arcel, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  15. enous

enous Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think having a good pr is a good thins .LOL

enous, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  16. *Mayank*

*Mayank* Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It does make your website successful in an indirect way. Good PR - Good sum of money (selling links). In return, more money to invest in your site to make it better. See it has a good effect :)

*Mayank*, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  17. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PR is worthless

Who thinks PR = succes is kind of stupid to not say a moron or he is a simply noob that doesn't know how things are

w3bmaster, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  18. vicdigi

vicdigi Banned

Best Answers:
    Saying PR is worthless in my opinion would be rather strong however, I couldn't agree more that PR does not make a website successful. It is actually the opposite.

PR is usually an indicator of a website that is or has become successful with Pagerank coming after.

Pagerank is by far NOT the be all end all and is not a requirement of a website.

Let us not forget what Pagerank really is - it is, in the eyes of Google, supposedly a tool to measure the IMPORTANCE of a website.

vicdigi, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  19. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    :rolleyes: Now that's an informative, well-reasoned post that shows respect for DP posters with legitimately varying opinions. :rolleyes:

Jim4767, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  20. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google looks more to offpage factors then onpage factors for positioning in the SERPS. To some degree, Pagerank is important because it rates ones site according to backlinks. Is it the all inclusive factor? Absolutely not. But it is a component of SEO that we have some control over.

Google's take on Pagerank:

Found here: http://www.google.com/corporate/tech.html

snowbird, Mar 18, 2008 IP