1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So there's no PR any more - alternatives?

Discussion in 'Google' started by katulago, Aug 18, 2007.

1. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I know some of you gentleman (and ladies) are coding geniuses. Create your own pagerank alternative and charge for it. As long as it's accurate, forget Google and their laggy pagerank. If you could make its site statistics in real time (or closer then 4 months), you probably would be able to retire in a year with four homes, ten cars, and 15 toy poodles - complete with their own pure gold dog leashes. :)

If pagerank is dead, then who will step up and replace it? There are a lot of skills in this forum. Heck, maybe a collaborative effort to fund and market this new pagerank alternative would be even better. It's not like we don't have the ability to adopt and advertise such a ranking model. If we use it on our directories and other sites, I'd venture to say we could make this a standard to measure advertising worthiness in no time at all!

Google is greedy. Period. Adwords is so far out of control as it is. Bidding on keywords that cost $3-$4 a click to sell a toy? Come on. And Adsense sucks too. Sure I use it on my directory, but it makes me very little money. I am tired of deleting all the Adsense spam sites from my directory.

Instead of worrying what Google will do next, maybe it's time we determine our own future...

snowbird, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  2. DirSP

DirSP Peon

Best Answers:
    Adsense does sucks, but there is no alternative which makes Adsense the best.

DirSP, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  3. continuum

continuum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It would be counterproductive for google to remove the toolbar PR.

It is the only reason I have the google toolbar installed. It is also the only reason why 80% of people have it installed.

If Google PR goes, then people will get rid of the toolbar and how will google track our web stats?

continuum, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  4. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know why so many people say Adsense sucks, then admit they use it on their sites. I don't think it sucks at all, it's actually pretty good so long as you're not a brainless moron plastering all over your pages so you can't even pick out the real content.

Adwords is pretty good too if you use it right, especially for actual online businesses who would actually spend a lot more to advertise in the local paper. It costs like £1000/$2000 to put an ad in my local newspaper, just for a few lines of text that hardly anyone takes notice of. Adsense is a bargain by comparison, where I wouldn't spend that one day's ad expense in 3 months online and the people looking at my ad are just a click away from my site.

People always say [whatever company] is greedy and it sucks when it's doing really well for itself, if it were true it just wouldn't be doing as well as it is.

Astroman, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  5. nikolaalx

nikolaalx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Guys guys....please be reasonable..

Do you happen to even realize how MUCH RESOURCES google has put into developing the Pagerank? I mean, even Larry Page said number of times that the Pagerank is the core of Google itself.

Who would invest so much time, efforts and money into something, and then just remove it?

Pagerank is not dead, and it will not be. It is a feature which gives competitive advantage for google over their competition. It is a value which was designed to guide the experienced and inexperienced users by giving them an idea of how important a given site was. It is not a value created for us, the minority of webmasters. You see...google never really cared about the webmasters. It cares for 4 things when it comes to their search engine:

1. Speed
    2. Accuracy of their search results
    3. Quality of Content (how trivial)

They actually dont care about link popularity, because it is easy for them to calculate it, its just a formula...the more links, the better. The links are tangible, whilst speed, accuracy and quality of content are much harder to compute since they are practically intangible (at least for a computer). Speed itself is, but when related to something else.....in this case....related to what?

The aggresive expansion and diversification policy which they have resulted in a number of google tools and applets on the online market. Basically the PR is a key feature of their toolbar. I mean, if they remove the PR, they are aware that they will lose a great percentage of the people who use their toolbar, simply because their toolbar will be less unique...and thus they will lose competitiveness.

So basically what I tried to say is that they have the PR as a core part of their algo.

They decided to export some data on their toolbars in order to make it feature ritch, when they entered into the toolbar business. And imo, this feature is the only feature which makes their toolbars worth installing...(over the alternative toolbars)

If they remove the PR export, they kill their toolbar. They know that for sure. It means giving up on a billion dollar business, which is long term. Cuz once you install a toolbar, you keep it there, and it becomes a two way media. For collecting and for sending data. For traffic. Traffic means money.

So don't panic. Most probably they are working on something. Some construction work probably....which gives the notion of two things:

1. A major update. Something like the "big bang" which happened 2 years ago. They halved the reciprocal linking back then. If you happen to think of it, it was a measure against the webmasters which were manipulating the only tangible factor for SERP - the link popularity. It was the easiest thing to cut, and they did it. Two years after that, link popularity is still manipulated through purchased links, three way linking, link rings, fake article submission, directory submission and lots of other stuff. So basically they have alot to work on. No wonder if a new age begins again :)

2. They could be working on something internal. For example working on their inner infrastructure. Improving functionality and decreasing resource consumption. Summer is the best moment for such work. Even google needs maintenance and cost effeciency.

IMO the update will come after a month. Probably beginning of October, and until then, just sit back and .....work ;)

Nik

nikolaalx, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  6. zoom

zoom Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think page rank is dead, exports of toolbar pr will be less frequent, possibly every 4-6months. Just to make almost everybody creazy on this forum and to force seo guys to concentrate on building content instead of concentrating on link exchange. They want websites to have natural links.

zoom, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  7. Trapped

Trapped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They won't remove pagerank...they might just stop displaying the pagerank score. But who actually knows what is going to happen ? So far we haven't heard about a pagerank update...maybe there was a update but infact the pagerank score is not published.

Trapped, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  8. Adventis

Adventis Guest

Best Answers:
    Anyone who is overly concerned with pagerank quite clearly isn't concerned with the content or style of the websites they're creating.

Adventis, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  9. Noddegamra

Noddegamra Peon

Best Answers:
    It's an interesting idea. It inspired my latest blog post :)

Noddegamra, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  10. whym

whym Peon

Best Answers:
    I wish Google would do away with public PR. It's just annoying. People focus too much on PageRank rather than on getting quality traffic. People mess around with stupid link exchanges to increase PR, which actually doesn't even do much for their SERP! Plenty of low PR web sites outrank high PR ones - why? BECAUSE SOME WEBMASTERS HAVE ABUSED PAGERANK.

I say Google scrap public PR for good and webmasters can finally focus on what they should be all along - good content and quality traffic!

whym, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  11. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    I think its all but happened. A lot has changed over this last six weeks. Directory masters have alot to think about. :)

workshop, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  12. simey

simey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google will never be able to stop selling links in general, but what they will go after IMO is the blatant 'brokering' of page rank. It's kind of like selling googles core & identity.

Look at recent events:
    High PR directories getting slapped,
    Text link ads getting slapped,
    PR update delay,

maybe these things are not a coincidence?

simey, Sep 6, 2007 IP