1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So much for pagerank being generally unknown to the general public...

Discussion in 'Google' started by davedx, Jun 4, 2005.

Go to alexa.com and check out the 5th hottest search... yep, it's pagerank.

Kind of scary really. Can't help but think if that many people are searching for info about it, we're also going to get a lot of surfers who use PR to "value" a page or site... pretty funny considering when PR disappeared last weekend, everyone was going "oh yeah, nobody I know outside SEO circles has even heard of it" :eek:

davedx, Jun 4, 2005 IP
    GTech likes this.
  2. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure whats scarier, the fact that that many people are searching for "pagerank" or that I have no idea the signifigance of the other 4 searches above it

• danica patrick
    • natalie glebova
    • paris latsis
    • cecilia barnes
    • pagerank

yfs1, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  3. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Something tells me that if you search images.google for those four names, you might see some pretty hot girls. ;)

That is strange that pagerank is up there.

Crazy_Rob, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  4. yfs1

Best Answers:
    You're killing me Rob

After your comment I looked up the pictures of "paris latsis" using Google Images

Its a guy :eek:

yfs1, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  5. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    DOH! Just when I thought I could recognize a hot girl by her name...

Crazy_Rob, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  6. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Apparently he's linked to Paris Hilton so at least most of the pictures were of here.

As far as the original post,I am surprised it would be #5. It either shows that either:
    1.) Non webmasters are actually using it as an analysis tool to see the "credibility of a site"
    2.) Its official, every single person in the world is now a web designer/SEO

Those are both two strange choices to grasp although if you own a directory, #2 might actually be asier to believe :rolleyes:

yfs1, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  7. iconrate

iconrate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Where are the results coming from? Alexa toolbar? That would of course explain it...
    Or even if from alexa.com as I think only webmasters use it.

iconrate, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  8. Epica

Epica Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Doh! - Just when I thought I was a unique and special little snowflake :(

Epica, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  9. tiqital het

tiqital het Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, in a big, 災 snowball breaking downhill :D

Don´t worry, if we don´t hit hell, you´ll be fine.

I guess webmasters are causing the majority of wise traffic. I move around public places, inetcafes etc, watching people using the internet, listening what they discuss about internet... Ringtones, "I´m fed up with my ringtone, gotta get a new one", SMS, "got a new logo for my mobile", clans, games, chat, flirt, "met a boy on the weekend on internet, gee, he´s so sweet" (booh, breakaway) and so on. The mass. One of the words I never hear is, pagerank.

These are also the ones using google, many not even knowing what a searchengine is, and blindly clicking on serp1. OK, I exaggerated, but just a little :rolleyes:

When I get hits from SERP 125 or so, that one usually digs around the site...

I could go on, what my research put out, but the essence of it is, it´s not that mass feeding my contentsites... these are the toshs clicking on the same f spot all day on the mobilesites. If you notice a decrease - put up a new ringtone etc.

Whatever, tiqital het :)

tiqital het, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  10. 2003m2003

2003m2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Alexa data is far away from normal web users, it just represent webmaters. :D .

2003m2003, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  11. teamshop

teamshop Plainsman

Best Answers:
    The reason PR is probably so high right now is more than likely due to the PR outage. Can you imagine the number of webmasters searching for the reason PR went blank during the outage? I bet if you track those numbers for a few more weeks PR will gradually disappear

teamshop, Jun 4, 2005 IP
    AfterHim.com likes this.
  12. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Great observation...I'm inclined to agree...I don't have an answer to #1-4 though...

AfterHim.com, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  13. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    Webmasters slacking on the job?

kalius, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  14. davedx

davedx Peon

Best Answers:
    I dunno.. why would webmasters use Alexa to search for info on PR and not Google?

davedx, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  15. teamshop

teamshop Plainsman

Best Answers:
    I am sure webmasters that depend on the "so called importance" of PR were searching on Google, MSN, Yahoo, Alexa, insert SE here....... for any information they could find on what was going on.

teamshop, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  16. ephricon

ephricon Peon

Best Answers:
    Danica Patrick - She's been all in the news lately (in US anyway)... Women Indy Car racing driver who finished fourth at the Indy 500 - best ever finish for a lady. She's expected to be quite competitive in their tour this year. Not so bad on the eyes either...

Paris Latsis - I think that's the guy Paris Hilton is engaged to. I think he's supposively loaded to, and settling down with her can't say much for the guy's reasoning abilities. Two dumb, materialistic people with lots of money. I fear this will make for lots of tabloid fodder for many a year.

On the PageRank note though - I do think that knowledge of PageRank is mainstream. In fact, I think this is a huge problem b/c I believe the general public's knowledge/opinion/thinking of PR is several year's behind our community's. I work with a couple large firms that essentially want to evaluate their website and its popularity by PR - with that as their main measure. The simple green bar makes it a darn simple, convenient, easy to understand and quick measurement tool. Notice I didn't mention "effective" or "accurate" or "up to date". Therein lies the problem.

I believe many do use PR as a quick and easy measure of their site's promotional effectiveness. Taking the time to track unique visitors, rankings, leads/orders, inbound links, referrer logs, etc. seems to be more time consuming for the casual user, and thus is still unfortunately lagging behind the green bar.

ephricon, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  17. MobileP

MobileP Peon

Best Answers:
    I get sme hits from msn for paris latsis :) I've made a news post on my page for that. He's a greek millionare and is now wngaged with paris hilton :)

Who say that opposites attract?

MobileP, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  18. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well you know what that means. In a couple of weeks there are going to be a lot of sites ranking really well for terms like

hot sexy pagerank
    nude pagerank
    teen pagerank

Hodgedup, Jun 5, 2005 IP