1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So, I want to start a social networking website...

Discussion in 'General Business' started by The Emirates Gallastico, Dec 3, 2007.

I'd like to start a social networking website (similar to Facebook) where users can interact with each other easily. Maybe something similar with regards to the Walls and stuff, but also a chat room for group discussion.

It's for a targeted niche, that is pretty untapped at the moment... anyways, how would I get about setting something like this up? Thanks :)

westoff likes this.
  2. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why not just make a Facebook app for chatting, instead of trying to compete with one of the most popular websites in the world??

frankcow, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  3. Soccerplayur012

Soccerplayur012 Peon

Best Answers:
    Facebook Apps are EXPPPENNNSIIIVEEE

Soccerplayur012, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  4. SuperBlog

SuperBlog Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, if I had the skills I'd rather make my own site too instead of helping the competition. I like putting new ideas out there and then making money from them. Unfortunately, I have no clue how to do this - so good luck! :)

SuperBlog, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  5. urbanchaos.in

urbanchaos.in Banned

Best Answers:
    Anyway,he said that it is for targeted niche.So it will be a good idea to start in a particular niche.I would advice him to do a research and find the best niche with low competition and develop a site.Good luck :)

urbanchaos.in, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  6. Cryspatus

Cryspatus Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you're wondering about design, there is an open-source community software called dolphin which seems pretty good

http://www.boonex.com/products/dolphin/

The boonex community http://www.boonex.us/ is a live demo of dolphin. It seems like they're really thorough and always adding features. You can also make your own community at me.com with your own domain name for something like $299 a year, which I think is pretty expensive, but if you don't know much about web design it may be the way to go... I have never made a networking site though so I can't tell you much about how you would market it.

Cryspatus, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  7. The Emirates Gallastico

The Emirates Gallastico Banned

Best Answers:
    @ Frankcow, it's a targeted niche mate.
    @ SoccerPlayur... err, alright.

@ Cryspatus, cheers I will take a look at Dolphin. Someone recommended PhPZabi to me too, so got a lot of studying to do over the weekend :D

8. enous

enous Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Face book...

enous, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  9. ientrepreneur

ientrepreneur Banned

Best Answers:
    Don't go for Dolphin, Phpizibi and anyother script available. There is no good script(Even paid scripts) which satisfies all needs. The best option is to develop a custom script. Only this will help you...

ientrepreneur, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  10. anantk

anantk Active Member

Best Answers:
    had a go at phizabi once, but gave up due to lack of time
    it's FREE and very easy to set up and control but you don't get any free themes and addons or anything for free. the phpizabi developers don't allow u to remove the powered by phpizabi link too.
    u can try phpizabi or scour through hotscripts.com and php.resourceindex.com for readymade(free as well as paid) scripts.

anantk, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  11. pj1s

pj1s Active Member

Best Answers:
    pj1s, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  12. ValleyMan

ValleyMan Banned

Best Answers:
    Try dolphin out. It's free and very easy to configure

ValleyMan, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  13. westoff

westoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Trying to compete with a monster like Facebook is going to be one challenge in it's own. First off, you will need a lot of money to advertise your site to even make it popular enough to compete with Facebook. Also, its going to be a lenghty process. Though I really think that many people are already trying to beat out Facebook. Good luck though!

Westoff.

westoff, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  14. aznjack31

aznjack31 Peon

Best Answers:
    well you better get starting because i'm trying to do that too. www.miipeeps.com lol

aznjack31, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  15. The Emirates Gallastico

The Emirates Gallastico Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips and all guys. I'm not trying to compete with Facebook at all; I'm aiming for a more intelligent audience :p

Took a look at MiiPeeps.com, looks pretty clean. Different niches though, so ah well :D

16. netpox

netpox Active Member

Best Answers:
    We are also working on a new social networking site. So far 95% complete. Socialsplash.com

netpox, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  17. jerry12

jerry12 Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems funny. Actually, you may be interested in jbTop.com chat. We have been using it for aabout a year.

jerry12, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  18. teamdesign

teamdesign Banned

Best Answers:
    Try out www.thevillage.com, you can create an instant community for free and don't even have to pay for hosting. It's customizable and easy to use, here are some samples...

http://funkit.thevillage.com
    http://www.riptube.com

You can use your own graphics or choose a template and change them at anytime. You can also add or delete features free of charge.

teamdesign, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  19. drgeorgep

drgeorgep Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi ... I agree, MiiPeeps and Social Splash both look good. If you're going after a "more intelligent audience," I applaud you, but think that you'll need to take the Face Book concept up about ten notches. There are more older users on line, every day; appeal to them. I think this meas less clutter, super easy navigation, quality control, lots of safety assurances and easy use. Older users aren't learning the lingo in school, from their pals, but have to work it out for themselves, using "Dummy" books. Anyhow, I believe you've a great idea and wish good luck.

drgeorgep, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  20. articuno

articuno Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I have a few suggestions. It doesn't matter if you are or are not trying to complete with Facebook. But if you use SocialGo, you can make the social network of your dreams. You can have the facebook theme with SocialGo,and its free also. I know somebody who can sell you a facebook theme cheap and its look exactly like facebook.

With SocialGo, you can have forums, videos, pictures, blogs, chat/video chat, games, profiles and everything you need. Matter fact, I'll even help you with the customization with it. If you get the premium package, I can get you discounts or free features and install them for you. Send me a PM and I'll give you the link

articuno, Aug 6, 2009 IP