1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So - how long before we know how to SEO for cuil.com

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by freestate, Jul 28, 2008.

According to news reports, Cuil actually is the google killer.

Formed by a breakaway group of ex-Google employees, it does what google does, only better.

That's the theory anyway ;)

I wondered whether my Google specific SEO was working on cuil.com too, so checked out one of my keyword terms:

http://www.cuil.com/search?q=sales+recruitment+bristol

Answer - no, my SEO does not work

Even more interesting point - none of the top results seems to have anything to do with Bristol, so it looks like they have some fine-tuning to do of their algorithm before it'll be as good as say, live.com let alone Google...

With such random results, who's going to step up and show us how to hit the top of cuil.com with SEO tactics.

... and do we even care.... :confused:

freestate, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  2. DomainMagia

DomainMagia Peon

Best Answers:
    Huh, really dilettantish effort. Thousands of SE-s are out there and most of them produce better quality results and are designed more professionally than this one.

DomainMagia, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  3. itcn

itcn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cuil currently has a real problem with duplicate URLs in result sets, they've got a while to go before that engine is really ready for prime time.

itcn, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  4. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I blocked their bot from visiting *most* of my websites months ago. I checked them out today... will probably never check them out again. The layout of the results is horrible and the actual result pages aren't very good. One search for a city name + real estate brought up pages that had nothing to do with real estate.... or that city.

Piss poor results, they should have done more testing first, IMO.

larysmith711, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  5. billabong

billabong Peon

Best Answers:
    Cuil is definately not a G Killer. They are playing the privacy card. Personally I do not mind that Google know about me, in the end it provides me with a good user experience and they do their best (albeit not everytime) to only show me stuff which they think is relevant.

After testing Cuil for the past 24 hours, their engine is sub standard and focused mainly on the US... not too handy for UK folks like myself. Their algorithms just seem plain wrong. I've read many comments from the likes of Digg etc that search phrases just aren't bringing up what we have come to expect from Google. (It can't even find itself!)

billabong, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  6. banker0679

banker0679 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One of their issues is giving too much credit to edu sites.

I was searching mortgage keywords, and the first 7-10 sites were all edu.

banker0679, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  7. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I don't think we need to bother about it for a long long time if we need to bother about it at all. Tons of new search engines claim to be the Google startups, lets see i garnering a respectable portion of the search market segment before we even need to care about it.

wisdomtool, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  8. milvos

milvos Peon

Best Answers:
    I checked this out this morning abit, and found the layout and design of the result pages not great at all. Also checked it for a few of my sites and not much showed at all, so different from google for sure. The other thing I found really annoying was the image for each site which came up in the results, some where nothing to do with the main site itself, though the images must be in the site but are getting put here when most are not even relevent to the search or results, this part to me was a complete mess and pointless.

milvos, Jul 28, 2008 IP