1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Smoking

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FireStorM, Jan 22, 2007.

1. movingconcierge

movingconcierge Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It was behind their backs. I was a latch key kid. And don't ever talk shit about my parents again...got it?

movingconcierge, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    What does that mean? Man, that's pretty hardcore smoking at age 8.

dcristo, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  3. movingconcierge

Best Answers:
    OK. Let's clear this up right now. I did smoke at eight. I was not a chain smoker at eight. I smoked like a cigarette or two a week - maybe a few more sometimes.

I don't want to hear anymore ignorant posts about terrible parents or you'll see a mushroom cloud up in here...I just wanted to contribute a breif snippet and help to those who want to quit; not defend my family.

...and you know what else, I had friends who smoked that early too...and so on and so on. It's not that unusual...really. Ever seen bad news bears? That pretty much sums up the seventies in my town.

[edit]Oh, sorry dcristo I didn't answer your question. A latch key kid was someone who saw themselves to and from school and took care of themselves while both parents worked. Hence, plenty of free time.

4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    OK, sorry MC. I have kids that age and I'd be horrified if they'd even had the opportunity to smoke - let alone did it regularly enough that in 20 years they might say "I smoked at 8".

When I was growing up there were plenty of "latch key kids" with parents who chain smoked. The kids didn't though.

sarahk, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  5. movingconcierge

Best Answers:
    I accept your apology.

Did I mention that when you quit you get REALLY EDGY:mad: :p

Sorry to the OP. I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my life story. I'm done now...

6. crazybjörn

crazybjörn Peon

Best Answers:
    Didn't have the money for it when I was younger, and now that I do, I just think it's a pointless waste of money, so never got into it. Luckily.

crazybjörn, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  7. dthorpe

dthorpe Member

Best Answers:
    SMoking is weill, uhhhh, horrible. I don't mind smoking while I'm having a few drinks but Ii regret it afterwards. Plus it slows you down.

dthorpe, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  8. Bikeintro

Bikeintro Peon

Best Answers:
    only sometimes, not smoker

Bikeintro, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  9. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    [​IMG] :D

Smokers support the economy by paying all that tax. "If you saved all the money the average smoker spends on cigarettes, you could buy a new car every year." I guess it stands to reason, then, that we non-smokers are polluting the planet with our new cars, while the dirt-poor smokers walk to work each day. ;)

deluxdon, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  10. Jekka

Jekka Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never smoked, although when I was pregnant I craved cigarettes...odd...

I don't like smelling of them when I go out and because my ex smoked like a chimney, my kid ended up in hospital with breathing difficulties so that didn't make it appeal much to me either. Most of my friends smoke and I'm not fussed - I only object when it's near my kid or someone does it when I'm trying to eat - I think it's so rude to have smoke blown all over you when you are trying to enjoy a meal.

Mind you, a couple got in trouble over here in the UK for smoking in their own homes when a neighbour complained about the smell drifting into her house next door...that is taking things a bit too far, IMO

Jekka, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  11. Software_outsourcing

Software_outsourcing Peon

Best Answers:
    I started smoking some six years back. I started with one cigarette and now I smoke 2 every day , regularly . I never buy a full pack . I have this notion that 2 cigs a day will hardly effect my health . What do u say ?

Software_outsourcing, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  12. FireStorM

FireStorM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess it has some effects , instead of living 100 years , you can live 80 years

FireStorM, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  13. prilep

prilep Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anybody can he just needs to know that he can. My friend used to smoke 3 packs a day now he quit. Anyone can do it!

- Prilep :D

prilep, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  14. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Smoke relax me so .... i can't quit .....

w3bmaster, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  15. jdR!pper

jdR!pper Peon

Best Answers:
    I once tried to smoke but I never liked it. I think this is because I am more engaged in sports. :D

jdR!pper, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  16. ravianz

ravianz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i dont like smoking and hates the smell of it!

a case may be that date of birth is Feb 29 and only birthdays a re couted to get the age!!:D

ravianz, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  17. sxg

sxg Peon

Best Answers:
    sxg, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  18. movingconcierge

Best Answers:
    I heard about that. I also remember hearing that makers put gunpowder (or equivalent) to make cigarettes burn faster and to the butt.

In 1996, I tried to make a nicotine gum after trying the original nicorette. It tasted like road apples. I went pretty far with it - all the way to the FDA where I was basically called the antichrist for proposing the idea. I wonder how much tobacco money made it's way to the FDA to push the acceptable levels of nicotine up in the average cig?

movingconcierge, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  19. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Now that's a story I'd be interested in hearing more about. The innovator and entrepreneur should be supported and not quashed by Government and Government should not be silenced by business.

I read a story years ago about PowerBars and the struggle they had to get through the FDA. Something about how to be classed as a food a person has to be able to survive on it for 30 days (The premise behind the McD docos I guess).

I've no doubt you could survive on them for so long but as much as I love them after an event (all soft and warm and chewy from being down your sports bra) you wouldn't want them as a solid diet. Anyway they had to tweak the formula to enable their classification as a "food".

I've no doubt such compromises happen every day, but when you criticise a product for not meeting expectations how much is due to FDA / Patent / Standards requirements and how much is a flaw in the product?

sarahk, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  20. grazie_web

grazie_web Banned

Best Answers:
    I hate the people who smokes especially when their smoke sticks into your body like in your hair or in your clothes!!!... ahhh, i really hate that!..

but I'm happy and proud to those people who have survived and quits smoking...:p

grazie_web, Jan 23, 2007 IP