1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

smokehost - Please Stay Away from Them. The Worst Hosting :((

Discussion in 'Outages' started by vtupapa, Nov 19, 2010.

Hello,

I usually never write reviews about most of the things but today I couldn't stop my self. I brought a hosting from http://www.smokehost.net like 20-25 days back. The price was ok The design of the site was ok so I thought they will be good and they looked promising. but I WAS WRONG. They are one of the worst hosting I have ever seen. Their server are down like everytime. I have PingdomAlert alert set up for my domain and trust me I was spammed with mails. Like your site is down. So I asked them what was the matter they were like it is server issue so I kept quiet but continuously 10-15 days server issue ? I asked for a refund but no response and Literally I realised that I lost all my money. So I request you to be away from such hosts as they are waste of time and money. I recommend go with Hostgator as I feel they are the best now. SmokeHost is the biggest Scam. Please be away. Just a warning to keep you safe and away from problems. So you don't make a mistake which I did.

EDIT : Realized He is using a Nulled WHMCS. Which Explains he is a fraud. Reported to WHMCS.

Regards,
    VP

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
    vtupapa, Nov 19, 2010 IP
  2. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should have known something was wrong when they advertise their servers with "i7" CPUs. No decent host will use desktop components to run a server.

RonBrown, Nov 19, 2010 IP
  3. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Then why got company sell i7 CPU server?

mentos, Nov 19, 2010 IP
  4. vtupapa

vtupapa Peon

Best Answers:
    I had no much idea about hosting. I usually take hosting and never see specs and all. Maybe next time I have to be careful. Good Lesson :( .

vtupapa, Nov 20, 2010 IP
  5. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest,I now hosting under I7 CPU and there no problem.

mentos, Nov 20, 2010 IP
  6. RonBrown

Best Answers:
    Are you suggesting that I work for a company that sells servers with i7 CPUs? I can tell you for a fact that none of our servers have i7 CPU's. We've never sold i7 CPUs and all customer CPUs are intel Xeons with the latest ones having Westmere cores.

The i7 is a desktop CPU.

RonBrown, Nov 22, 2010 IP
  7. AdvancedNoob

AdvancedNoob Guest

Best Answers:
    If you have taken it public why don't you let us know what your domain was? Its against the TOS but yet I am willing to talk to you in public. I own SmokeHost. We refund everyone who requests it.

And it no where states we use a i7 CPU. We used to offer Windows RDP Boxes with powerful hardware... he is clearly flaming. And we changed our domain from .com to .net hence the WHMCS Issue. We are authorized:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
    AdvancedNoob, Nov 23, 2010 IP
  8. AdvancedNoob

AdvancedNoob Guest

Best Answers:
    Oh btw what did u buy???

9. AdvancedNoob

AdvancedNoob Guest

Best Answers:
    Okay Mr.I Know It All... what "company" do you work for?

Edit: Look what the cat dragged in.
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2010176

Mind commenting?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  10. RonBrown

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure what that link has to do with me. I don't have, and have never had, any association with the OP of that post or the company advertised (www.mydedis.com). I don't know either of them. You've obviously got your wire crossed.

As for being a "know it all", I've not posted any incorrect information here - but you have. If being a "know it all" is your description of someone who is posting factual information then fine, but I'd think the expression would be better reserved for someone who thinks they know something...but doesn't.

If you don't believe me about i7's being a desktop processor, just check out the Intel site. Intel clearly indicate that their 5600 and 7500 range are their business-class processors, and the "i" range (i3, i5, and i7) are their desktop or "home" range.

Who I work for is not relevant - but you've got it wrong. I don't advertise it because the opinions I express are my own, not those of the company I work for. I can use my many years of experience to answer some questions, give examples of how we work when required, and say what I want without being seen to advertise the services of who I work for. I may add it to my signature one day, but at the moment I'm happy to be able to post my own opinions.

I work for a UK company (that should narrow it down!) that have been in the windows hosting business since last century. My name is Marion (yep, I'm a female) but everyone calls me Ron. The company I work for has it's full operations address, registered addresses, telephone numbers and email address all available from the site, are a registered company, have a VAT number, and are members of the Microsoft Hosting Partners programme - completely unlike mydedis.com.

RonBrown, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  11. AdvancedNoob

AdvancedNoob Guest

Best Answers:
    Okay... but my current vps has 4 cores and is on i7... want a screenshot? And its not from my company... so and sorry if offended.
    [​IMG]

AdvancedNoob, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  12. RonBrown

Best Answers:
    Don't get me wrong, the i7 is a cracking CPU. Just a few years ago a couple of EMT64 667FSB Xeons were the ultimate in server processing power but most modern CPUs (a quad-core i7 included) would outperform them several times over without breaking a sweat: such is the rate of recent CPU development.

If I've got my facts correct (I'm willing to be corrected) the i7 shares some of the core instructions of the Xeon 3400 range which is at the lower end of Xeon business-class (server-class) CPUs. My issue isn't with the i7 per se, but what it tends to represent. The i7 is targetted at the home user (workstation) market and the motherboards using that CPU are workstation-class too. Server-class components are designed to be worked hard 24/7 because that's what servers do. They are designed to be reliable in conditions where a workstation MB might flake-out or start to become unstable. The same goes for memory and other components that go together to make up a reliable server. A server MB might start at around the $400 mark, while a desktop MB can be had for $60.

So, when I see the i7 being offered, I wonder why the company isn't offering a Xeon, and then I start to wonder about whether the host is cutting costs elsewhere and using workstation-class components on the cheap rather than tried-and-tested server-class hardware.

At the end of the day, the host is relying upon a certain amount of ignorance in their customers. Their customers see a quad-core CPU, 8GB of Ram, and a couple of 750GB drives in RAID 1 for a cheap price and think they're getting a bargain. A host using low-grade components to build can build a "server" for significantly less (one-half, one-third, or even one-quarter) than a host using decent server hardware, but the customer is being sold a turkey. Sure, it might work, be reliable, and the host is quick to replace damaged hardware...the customer got lucky. But customers shouldn't have to "get lucky" when leasing a server. They need to be able to rely upon it working every minute of every day of every year, and you've a much smaller chance of that happening when cheap workstation hardware is being asked to do the job of good quality server-class hardware.

Does that mean that server hardware never goes wrong? Of course not, but I've been in the hosting business for several years, and I've seen plenty of hard-disks fail (too many to count...actually not that many, but enough that we have around 40 in stock at all times) and a few (less than 10) cooling fans fail, but I've only seen 1 motherboard and 1 power supply go kaput - and we've managed hundreds of servers during that time. We do replace front-line hardware after a max of 3 years but it's still a good record. We've used Dells, Compaqs, HP, and Supermicro and all have been great, but we have a preference for Supermicro servers.

I'm not knocking the i7 as a CPU. You'll probably get good performance for it while it works but with cheap hardware you tend to get cheap hosts, and nothing good can come of that combination when peoples livelihood and online businesses are at stake.

This is only my opinion, but I've seen companies come and go, people get burned, and too many people where their hosting is "down" for hours (sometimes days), and when you see workstation hardware being passed-off for server operations by people who really should know better, I'm not particularly surprised. It's just not the way I'd want to do business.

RonBrown, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  13. aassociatehit

aassociatehit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i7 is mainly a home user server, thats really not meant for professional hosting, being many years in hosting industry we never used i7 for hosting and never even seen good reputable companies even offering it

aassociatehit, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  14. AdvancedNoob

AdvancedNoob Guest

Best Answers:
    Got your point and I think we are drifting the topic, I was just defending my companys rep. Clearly the spammer hasn't come back so well I got nothing more to say.

AdvancedNoob, Nov 24, 2010 IP