1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SMF versus phpBB - Pros and Cons please

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by mnymkr, Jun 21, 2006.

Man I am teetering between the two and I just can't make the decsion.

-Joomla which I use a lot , supports SMF and easily bridges to it.
    -SMF can appear slow at times and a lot of the templates are graphic heavy.
    -After hours and hours, I can manipulate templates like I want but can't create my own from scratch.
    -I hear SMF is build with security in mind.

-phpBB has a nice simple look to it.
    -I have never tried to make my own template so I don't know how difficult it is.
    -I hear there are security risks for phpBB.

Any comments will be very appreciated.

mnymkr, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  2. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    phpbb is very easy to edit, its something even i can do.

I used to use phpbb for everything as it was easy well known and a lot of people use it so if you have any problems then you know you can always get help. However i then decided as a 1 off just to try smf and in all honesty i would never go back to phpbb, it is harder to edit templates and its hard to find people who will make custom skins usually costing more but the features are so much better you dont have to mod it like mad to get what you want.

tony84, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  3. mariush

mariush Peon

Best Answers:
    SMF is safer. not only because it is written with security in mind but also because it is less known.
    SMF has skin support and everything phpBB, and a team of developers updating it constantly.

phpBB has been exploited a lot in the past and most probably will be hacked a lot in the future. I'm no longer using it.

mariush, Jun 21, 2006 IP