1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Smart Pricing Anyone...

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by shafaki, Apr 30, 2005.

Google's smart pricing might be making advertisers happy, but isn't it hurting us publishers?

I've noticed that in general I've started to get many low paying clicks, and I do attribute those many low paying clicks to G's 'smart' pricing. Sure it might be 'smart' for them advertisers, but clearly there's nothing smart about it for us publishers.

Is smart pricing hurting you too?

Anyone...

shafaki, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  2. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think smart pricing is stupid.

If someone is interested in an ad, they'll click on it. Why should I get paid less then someone else?

I know advertisers like it, but consider something.

When Yahoo launches their program, wont you miss me when I ditch Google's?

-

joeychgo, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  3. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Smart pricing is very stupid...It takes away the complete auction effect. I want the top ad to pay the most no matter what...that is the ad I push, and that is the one I want clicked.

I'm with you on the Yahoo! train...hopefully it departs soon.

Brandon

AfterHim.com, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  4. oalhajjar

oalhajjar Guest

Best Answers:
    Smart pricing grew out to combat click fraud.

You had guys publishing garbage content for high paying keywords (The big 'M' Mesolothemia) and having friends click their ads. One click pretty much paid for a year's hosting.

As a publisher it's too bad to see my earnings diminish overall, but I trust that quality content sites will continue to thrive as Google tweaks their algo to loosen up on smart pricing and introduce some new revenue streams (CPM).

oalhajjar, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  5. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't believe that at all.

Google isn't out to do what is best for publishers, they are out to do what is best for share holders.

Don't be confused, just because it is the right thing, doesn't mean they will do it.

AfterHim.com, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  6. oalhajjar

oalhajjar Guest

Best Answers:
    AfterHim.com it is in the best interest of Google's shareholders for Google to cater to the interest of its advertisers and publishers.

Google's revenue comes from their advertisers and their publishers. It would be foolish for a corporation to just start neglecting their customers who.

Click fraud hurts me too, as a publisher, since their advertising dollars become diluted. If they're loosing conversions due to superflous clicks, then I get less of their ad dollars.

This is all to be taken with a grain of salt of course since there are numerous factors affecting smart pricing. In the meantime I'm happy with what Google plans to put out in the future, CPM wise, as that means I've got new ways of making money and some of my projects should become more profitable because of this.

Overall I'm not happy with smart pricing since it has hurt my income. But I know that is a cost of doing business and we've just got to adapt.

oalhajjar, Apr 30, 2005 IP