1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

slurp keeps spidering using old session ids

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by cindos, Oct 5, 2004.

My site, www.mediawaveonline.com used to have a sessionid variable attached to it so that people without cookies could shop there. I'm not sure exactly how this worked as we had a guy come in and build our former shopping cart for us. Well, we've moved on and have a new cart, and have completely removed the session ids from the site. Unfortunately whenever google spiders the site it checks things like www.mediawaveonline.com/?sessionid=23423423 and www.mediawaveonline.com/?sessionid=2344564 and of course it's seeing a page there since the main page still shows up. If you search for the site in yahoo you get tons of these session id pages, which I'm guessing really can't be good for rankings.
    Has anyone ever run into this problem or have any ideas on how to get yahoo to just look at the page and get rid of all the duplicates that the sessionid variable is causing? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

cindos, Oct 5, 2004 IP
  2. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    sorry but

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<title></title>
    <meta name='description' content=''>
    <meta name='keywords' content=''>
    <style type="text/css">

you can't expect much. Start giving SE's a decent title and they may actually really take note.
    As the session id resolves to a regular page it does not matter but links from the outside will start to address this.
    M

expat, Oct 5, 2004 IP
  3. expat

Best Answers:
    also, read a bit about linking and interlinking strategies etc.

A division of MediaWave Communications Corp.
    not using this (actively) you may miss a trick.

M

expat, Oct 5, 2004 IP
  4. cindos

cindos Peon

Best Answers:
    Expat,

Thanks for the info. Our meta-tags are dynamic and for some reason seem to have disappeared as of sometime in the last few days. They should be back up and running asap. We've looked into linking our sites together and found that the links from those sites coming back to the mediawaveonline.com site seemed to hurt their rankings as they're all on the same class C ip address. We actually were linking them together until very recently.

My fear with the ?phpsessid= is that yahoo is seeing a variety of what it thinks are different pages with identical content on them. Just wondering if there is anyway to get it to stop adding the variable and just spider the page without it

cindos, Oct 5, 2004 IP
  5. expat

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    have a look here that may answer your question

This thread is located at:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=3662

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    Hi

""I have this already in my htaccess file as: php_value session.use_trans_sid 0.""

this code is so the sessions do not show up .

""#php.ini configuration
    <IfModule mod_php4.c>
    php_value session.use_trans_sid 0
    </IfModule>""

this is for if your php.ini does not have it or your cpanel is not setup.

Interlinking I don't mean heavy and not every page to every page or sitewide but somewhere maybe sitemap

M

expat, Oct 6, 2004 IP