1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

slow image loading

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by nevetS, Jun 15, 2005.

I've seen my site act slow for two reasons that I'm hoping to have a little control over.

The first is with images from outside websites. Is there a tag or a way of displaying images that can allow my page to load and completely, and then have the images load?

I always thought this was default behavior, but I put a flickr badge on a page and because flickr was slow, the page took almost a minute to load.

The second is adsense. I've seen adsense being slow affect the speed of loading pages. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

nevetS, Jun 15, 2005 IP
  2. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Cant think of a tag myself but i use a image cutter for my large images. You can not only set the number of times you would like your photo to be divided in but it also producs the html outcome. I need to lookup the name of the software when am at home.

crazyhorse, Jun 15, 2005 IP
  3. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you can't control the speed of someone else's server, so it is best to always keep a local copy of those images rather than linking to an external image. In doing that you've doubled the potential failure points. So the best solution to this problem is to keep local copies of the images you want to use.

As to Adsense, I've seen it be slow the first time a page is loaded by anyone as Adsense tries to figure out what to display on this new page it hasn't seen before. Otherwise I'm not sure there is much you can do about it.

tflight, Jun 15, 2005 IP
  4. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I too find it better to have a local copy of images for a few reasons:

First, you have control - you can optimize, rename, resize, etc. to better control.

Second - your site get the "hit" credit.

As for AdSense, I'm not aware of anything to help speed up. I try to make sure I keep all other factors on the page code at a minimum, like no other js. Also, I place as far down as conceiveably possible so it's not trying to be loading at the top, though this is not always possible or best for "above the fold" placement for emphasis.

Google is adding new formats all the time, you might want to experiment with a few variations.

wrmineo, Jun 17, 2005 IP
  5. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Well... My purpose really was to be able to decorate some pages with flickr tagged images, but when I was initially testing, flickr was really slow for some reason. I'm used to seeing the pages load very fast, and the images either open shortly after the text is displayed. When I had the flickr badge on my pages testing, it was like the page was waiting for the image to download before displaying anything else.

Maybe flickr isn't a good option for that reason, or maybe it was a fluke. Adsense for the most part is very fast, but when they had performance issues a month or two ago, it caused slow page loading all over the place.

nevetS, Jun 17, 2005 IP