1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Slider Question

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Mike Stahl, Apr 26, 2014.

I'm designing a slider consisting of 7 images but it takes a little while to load due to the image sizes. What size do you think I should make the individual image files without compromising too much quality?

Mike Stahl, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no way to answer that without knowing what the images are and what the site is about (how critical the images are to the site). How much data do the images represent in total? My opinion is if you are getting over 300 kB per image, you are starting to get a little big. I have seen numerous cases over the years where people will scale down a bunch of 3 MB images in the HTML to thumbnails instead of resizing the images, then they wonder why the site take so long to load.

billzo, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  3. Thoshi

Thoshi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    First of all, sliders are bad for information delivery. Moreover, 7 images is a tad too much for any slider.

If you still would want to go ahead and implement it, I suggest lazy loading the images in the background while the slider starts off with the first image. That way, your slider will have a head start and won't have to wait for all the images to load to start functioning.

Thoshi, May 2, 2014 IP