1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sites where you bid for work

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by WriteResults, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Dwaighty

Dwaighty Peon

Best Answers:
    I did work on some freelance sites, but as a coder, not a content writer.

From my experience, the best paying is guru.com. I have also tried rentacoder.com, but although I did 17 projects there and had a rating of 10, I had to move away as they had a fee of 15% /project plus other fees when withdrawing the money.

I advise you to do some projects on guru at first, get some contacts and then work with those people outside guru.

Dwaighty, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  2. designerz

designerz Banned

Best Answers:
    Although all these sites are good we recommend trying us www.netafreelancer.com, we do not stand fake people at all

designerz, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  3. jpearce

jpearce Peon

Best Answers:
    I've tried these sites and yes some of the pay is ridiculously low. ($2.50 US for 500-1200 word articles that have 4% keyword density is an example. $3 to $7 for 2500 word articles.) However you can get better paying gigs later on from people who have hired you.

To me it was too time consuming and cut throat. Then I thought I should not be putting myself on sale but I needed to be someone doing the contracting!

Anyhow. Depending on how dedicated you are to writing then these sites may be for you. I like writing but I am more business and marketing oriented and am better at delegating people to write for me.

Now I write my own articles for my own sites and refer people who write for me to others. There are no middleman fees and I've been pretty happy without having to compromise myself and jump through a bunch of hoops for nothing.

jpearce, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  4. eHoez.com

eHoez.com Peon

Best Answers:
    try craigslist

eHoez.com, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  5. Anomaly1974

Anomaly1974 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been living in a third-world country for over two years now. While I had investments here to keep me going I lost all of that in a couple of bad storms last year. One of the reasons for me getting into Internet Marketing in the first place was because I hate the idea of trying to make a full time living on any of those sites, even from the relative comfort of a third world nation.

I honestly think that another issue is that most (Or at least far too many) people have gotten too used to receiving (And passing on) garbage when it comes to the written word. If I see a typo first thing when I get to a web page I leave immediately. Yet I have actually had people BRAG to me about the deal they got and showed me garbage that I would not use for ....... well ... you get the picture.

So as a qualified writer, how does one go about finding other markets? Once I have my site rebuilt it should not be an issue but in the meantime, my wife is showing me those five dollar articles and asking me why I am not looking :(

Anomaly1974, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  6. LinkWeaver

LinkWeaver Member

Best Answers:
    I got few good jobs from GAF. Having some ratings will be an added advantage. Many clients I have rejected due to low bid amount. I accept clientls only if he knows what he wants and how much reasonably he can pay. Sorry I am not into copyrighting, I am relevant link campaign. I can say GAF is not bad at all.If you know how to express your expertise into words and talk authoritatively, one can without hassle get project. RAC is good but cumbersome procedures. I lost the rating and the money just becos i uploaded the finished job by 24 hrs late. Generally avoid if the buyer has no ratings.

LinkWeaver, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  7. sirnoucamp

sirnoucamp Peon

Best Answers:
    Normally I try elance.com for my copywriters and programmers.
    The service is not bad.

sirnoucamp, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  8. WriteResults

WriteResults Peon

Best Answers:
    I write mainly for print magazines. The drawback is, even when commissioned and with some of the fee paid upfront, many pay the balance on publication, which can mean a delay of 6 months. Its ok once you get into the system, but that 6 month wait on a new venture can be hard going sometimes. I always insist on a kill fee option.

I use guru.com as a fill in for the waiting times. Ive built up good ratings over the past 6 months, and have found that, once the ratings start to build, I can charge a higher rate and still get the job.

I suppose its the same as entering any job market. Sometimes you have to make the tea before you get to do the good stuff :)

I couldnt make a living using guru, but it does help to smooth over some tricky times while Im waiting for a magazine article to be publsihed sometimes. It also gives me the chance to 'try out' different kinds of writing without hacking off my regular editors!

As a new writer, you need to accept that you may need to start low until you have built up a reputation.

All the best, and keep plugging away - it will all come together eventually :)

Christine

WriteResults, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  9. LayLifeScience

LayLifeScience Peon

Best Answers:
    I, personally, do not like bidding sites. I have seen clients who look down upon writers, holding the threat of copyscape over their heads for $1 per article.

It's true that you might have to charge low when you're just starting out. But set a fee commensurate with your abilities, at least. If you can, at the very least, write proper English with acceptable syntax and minimal errors, do you think it fair if you get paid $1 per 500-word article?

I prefer trolling job boards rather than bidding. I've found clients there willing to pay me rates befitting an experienced writer even though I'm relatively new. All you have to know is how to properly market yourself.

LayLifeScience, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  10. shruthi

shruthi Peon

Best Answers:
    getting a hold on jobs in these site is difficult. Competition is tough and since bidding low price is the issue, u end up getting paid very less. Certain high paid jobs are for gold members only.

shruthi, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  11. chilove

chilove Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for posting this thread. I've been thinking about joining elance, but the fees keep discouraging me!

chilove, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  12. webmasterlabor.com

webmasterlabor.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I use those sites. However, expect to face stiff PRICE COMPETITION. There are many bidders who bid in the range of 1 cent to 1.5 cent per word. While I have no problem with this price range (we do offer these types of deals depending on the project), many webmasters/web publishers often expect the same low pricing for projects that require heavier research or analysis. This is unrealistic.

My advice is to look for projects that focus on QUALITY first. Those often pay realistic rates. Bulk (low cost) projects are feasible ONLY IF you have the manpower. We have over 20 writers so we can offer bulk rates.

Best of luck to you.

webmasterlabor.com, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  13. brianppc

brianppc Peon

Best Answers:
    I do alot of projects from GAF. if you are a buyer it is hard to find quality article writers. most of the bidders are indians who can't write decent english

brianppc, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  14. KNEB

KNEB Peon

Best Answers:
    There are plenty of websites offering connection between service buyers and service providers.
    One of free site is getafreelancer.com

KNEB, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  15. webmasterlabor.com

webmasterlabor.com Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem you describe can easily be fixed by asking for a quality assurance process. One such model we follow is that we produce a preliminary batch for the client. The client reviews it and gives us feedback. We apply the feedback to the batch's revision. We keep revising until the client is happy. Once he signs off on the quality, we apply the quality guidelines to the rest of his order.

webmasterlabor.com, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  16. Restr1cted

Restr1cted Peon

Best Answers:
    Have never used, I just get work on here. I may try a website like that though.

Restr1cted, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  17. somuchmore

somuchmore Peon

Best Answers:
    Get a freelancer might seem wierd to you, but a $50 job translates into a huge sum that takes care of some needs of someone in a third world country.

somuchmore, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  18. somuchmore

somuchmore Peon

Best Answers:
    $100 might even take care of a brother for a month and even start a business for a sister.

somuchmore, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  19. amf-flt

amf-flt Active Member

Best Answers:
    So what you're saying is that sites like GAF/elance/guru are the perfect place to find work if you're in an "emerging economy" country....

Sounds about right. I wouldn't want to bid against people in those countries either, considering what it costs to live in the USA. I'd rather find my clients around the corner from where I live, so that they are more likely to understand and are more prepared to pay the local rates for the type of services I offer to my consulting clients.

amf-flt, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  20. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    somuchmore, if you only how mistaken you are:) but let leave this where it is now:)

SEOLinker, Sep 8, 2007 IP