1. Quickly find sites and domains for sale in the marketplace based on criteria that interests you.

Enter Marketplace
  2. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sites for sale section needs some serious help

Discussion in 'Sites' started by shredtone, Apr 1, 2010.

I've been browsing this section of the forums the past few weeks and I have to say I have been disappointed in the sites for sale. 90% of the sites are autoblogs, scraped content, content all from article directories etc...). The worst offenders and the reason for this post are the ones that advertise as "unique content" but are all scraped content. Almost all sites that claimed unique content that I checked were all scraped from other sites. It wastes a lot of time looking these sites up over and over again to find out that it's copied content everytime. It makes it hard to actually browse and find something worthwhile. This is my experience in looking for smaller less established sites here. This is obviously a factor but just seems more frustrating than it should be.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
    shredtone, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    As Seller:
    100% - 17
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    That's the problem you get with a free marketplace. And I think you can add this thread to the list of garbage threads in sites for sale forum, all I see is a big rant lol.

dcristo, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  3. shredtone

shredtone Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    OK I've edited my post to get more to my point. I was annoyed when I posted originally because I have wasted so much time with dishonest sellers. I do appreciate the sellers who clearly label what they are selling and shouldn't have lumped them in with the people that are the real problem. That being said, I still think that things could be better organized to make this section more useful for both sellers and buyers. A filter of some sort would be very helpful to section off the different types of sites for sale and make it more user friendly.

shredtone, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  4. proxywhereabouts

proxywhereabouts Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 3
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I read your original posting and I understand your feeling. But honestly, this is DP, what more can you expect?
    Look around, google it, most will review DP as a place where scammers and dishonest businessman resides although for us here feel not entirely true.

proxywhereabouts, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  5. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    As Seller:
    100% - 17
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    The problem is that creating more sub-forums will create more work for the mods, because sellers will be posting in the wrong forums and threads will have to be moved. If it means more work for mods it just won't happen. It's not up to the mods to determine whether you are getting a good deal or not, you need to use due diligence. If you are fed up with the amount of garbage being sold, stop browsing the sites for sale on dp?

dcristo, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  6. bille

bille Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I think if DP created a "pay to post" for sale section, with some small fee, say $5, it would meet the middle ground between the current mess and the overpriced Flippa.

bille, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  7. proxywhereabouts

proxywhereabouts Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 3
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Wait....I just noticed..
    In what way does this thread considered to be part of BST????
    Wrong section here.

proxywhereabouts, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  8. createrk

createrk Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I would agree with everyone here. A small fee should be brought in which will just stop the scammers to abuse this system. I do sell sites but i make sure that i advertise on what i am selling. Flippa is overpriced and its high time DP catches on and bring some changes to Sites forum and introduce a nominal fee which will make it more affordable to true sellers.

createrk, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  9. tradedemon

tradedemon Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    This thread doesn't belong here, so definitely needs to be moved. However, whilst we're discussing the topic.

I want to say that I buy a hell of a lot of sites here on DP. I see the useless spammy sites but amongst them there are good sites and I really don't mind trawling through the rubbish to get to the good stuff. By keeping the marketplace free and consolidated as one section it means we can see all the sites in one place rather than all over the place in different sub-forums. I like having that simplicity.

Oh and in regards to free listings. I think that's fine it encourages people to list their sites for sale, some that may never see the light of day.

tradedemon, Apr 2, 2010 IP
  10. flipfilter

flipfilter Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I've got to agree with the OP.

We built our app because sites like Digital Point have so much potential, but to find good sites you can waste days filtering through all the crap. We try and save some time in the process by filtering and only listing the sites people want to see across all marketplaces, Digital Point included, but that doesn't eliminate the problem of fraudsters and scammers.

DP already have such a strong following and I think they need to take a leaf out of Sitepoint's book and create a seperate marketplace for site listings - a forum was never designed to handle the complex requirements of buying and selling sites.

JG

flipfilter, Apr 5, 2010 IP