1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sites being heavily penalized by Google

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by WabbyTwax, Jun 21, 2006.

1. gerer

gerer Peon

Best Answers:
    co-op doesnot help i suppose

gerer, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  2. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There has been so much crap floating around concerning the issue of 'directory' penalization lately. It did not take me more than 5 minutes of searching the find the exact same fiasco started 15 months ago in another industry. Here is a brief overview of how that went, it is pure déjà vu?

I should also mention that I did not read the other thread in it's entirety I just didn't have the patience nor desire but as I skimmed through it I was amazed at how much alike it was to the recent postings we have had in this forum. Although 90% of the participants are different members the things that were said and the general direction of the whole conversation was eerily similar.

Originally posted on June 21st 2006, 10:33 pm by a member with under 20 posts at the time he started a thread with this information:

then a senior member jumped in with some common sense:

and of course then others jumped on with their tales of 'penalties', this person had grand total of 18 posts when they jumped in with:

then, just like all the people that panicked here and were trying to figure out how to fix their directories and get their ranking back by deleting site-wides, canceling high PR link purchases, apologizing on DP to Google spies, adding 'no-follow' links, etc....:

then some more words of 'staying calm' (he actually retracts these words later in the thread):

More newbies like this guy with 31 posts jump in to confirm:

Then another senior member jumps in with some more calming words:

jg123, Oct 7, 2007 IP
  3. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you!!!

indyonline, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  4. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    After this length of time for a thread to live on one subject gives me a sense that we are not talking about penalties but rather the way it is now. Not meaning to digress but Read the Google Patent it elaborates in great detail.

Excerpts

Source

You can call it a penalty, devalued, heavily penalized if you like. Examine your own situation and move in or on. I personally think where we are is where it's at. That is not to say the coop doesn't work anymore but rather suggest you take a good look at all possible aspects of what Google may not like about your site. They have stepped up their algos bigtime...in many areas.

Heres' a Few other possible areas that influence your ranking score
    • Site Structure
    • Spammy content
    • Trust Rank
    • Crossing KW density thresholds
    • themes and related keywords
    • Co-occurance
    • Theme bleed

I mean that's only a few. But they all can have a negative effect on your rankings. My point is get the big picture, especially if you manage a boatload of domains.

There are way too many other ranking factors that all play a role. There are also many ways to misuse any coop link network. As stated above in patent, history, synthetic linking and links in general are under more of a microscope than ever before.

Be Wise and Beware :)

H

PS- sorry to dig up old news but I have been away from Dp for Vewy-wrong-time ...catching up in my ctrl panel ;)

Homer, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  5. jeany

jeany Peon

Best Answers:
    Google does not punish you for trying the improve your website's ranking. Whoever said that google punishes when your page rank goes down is a myth. The page rank's curve is a reality that each website has o go through. If you want to stay on top, evaluate the online marketing you're doing. If you're doing article submission, it could be that was few days ago, but your backlinks are there so in a few days, you will see that you're back on top.

jeany, Dec 16, 2009 IP
  6. tinknocker

tinknocker Peon

Best Answers:
    You have to really check your backlinks and newly acquired backlinks, in particular. Check out seopenalty.com. This was very helpful to me and I was able to undo several press releases that caused my problems. You will be surprised at what sites are now heavily penalized while current PR does reflect a problem. http://serpeoseo.wordpress.com for info & answers on hundreds of topics.

tinknocker, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  7. waterloo

waterloo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    sound of familiar huh

waterloo, Sep 15, 2012 IP