1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sitemaps...what do they accomplish?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by slip, Jun 22, 2006.

Well the thread sums it up...what is a sitemap? and what does it accomplish? could i see an example? how do i build one?

thanks

slip, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  2. Art

Art Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello slip,
    Think of sitemaps as a roadmap to all the pages on your site. Often bad linking structures will cause a partial indexing (or no indexing at all!). With sitemaps, at least you can be certain they know those particular pages exist!

It's basically a list of all the pages that exist on your site, aka "spider food" ;)

Art, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  3. ludwig

ludwig Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ludwig, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  4. mexicolarry

mexicolarry Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Slip,

After reading about site maps for a year, I finally created one this past month.

Site maps in general are a good thing, but what I've found really valuable is the extra info I have access to through the Google Sitemaps service. Google Sitemaps is not just for submitting a sitemap. It also provides lots of valuable info about keywords, when the Googlebot last visited my site, what errors it encountered, etc.

I highly recommend creating a Google Sitemaps account, even if you don't actually submit a sitemap! :)

--Larry

mexicolarry, Jun 22, 2006 IP