1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sitemaps - Size Important ?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by john_loch, May 24, 2004.

1. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Give us an example of brief anchor text versus full anchor text. In my opinion some people try to cram too much into their anchor text. I think a two, three or four word KWphrase is the absolute maximum you should use in anchor text.

For instance in my opinion many of the signature links on this forum are way too long. I don't believe that you are going to get a relevance rating for more than a few words.

compar, May 25, 2004 IP
  2. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    OK, sure.

The links are regionally based per service.
    So, I could A. Title segments of the map by service, then anchortext just the regions. Or B, I could use complete service & region anchor text per. The problem would be the repetition throughout of the service KWds. So the density would wind up through the roof for the service.

That was the ghist of it anyway :)

john_loch, May 25, 2004 IP
  3. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well unless you combine the region and the service in each anchor text I don't think you will get found for the "regional service" search. The title of the page is not appended to the individual anchor text words or phrases. Remember this is a site map so I don't think keyword density is even an issue.

In fact I don't think keyword density is ever an issue. To suggest it is is to suggest that on-page content is a major factor in SERP placement and we know that it is infinitesimal compared to the impact of links.

compar, May 25, 2004 IP
  4. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Thanks Compar,

I worded it badly, by title I should have said headers.. though again, the pages are already indexed, and rank for their region/service combos nicely.

After all is said and done, I think I'll go with the full anchor text, and under 100K per page should keep it below 800 links (SEO-Guy's observations earlier), and see PR propagate as needed.

Thanks everyone ! :)

john_loch, May 26, 2004 IP
  5. catanich

catanich Peon

Best Answers:
    I addressed this problem a while back. The site has 13,275 pages and was not getting deeped indexed.

I added a bread crumb to every page. This guarentees that there is proper PageRank feed back.
    Second, I added to the copyright footer, a link back to the home page (again proper Page Rank feed back).

I then supplied Google's Webmaster Tools a proper XML Site map (both sitemap.xml and sitemap.xml.gz).

At this point I waited 5 months with not so good results.

To solve this, I put a link on the home page to the sitemap.xml file. Google indexed the sitemap.xml file and all pages seem to now be indexed.

So not to leave this working, we deleted the link and added a UrlList.txt file to the scenario. There seems to be a limit with this (unknown) so we went back to the sitemap.xml file.

Also, we are using gSiteCrawler to generate the sitemap files. It handles the large URL count very well.

catanich, Jul 23, 2008 IP