1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sitemaps questions (xml/gz and multiple sitemaps)

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by mariush, Mar 26, 2006.

OK, so i've created a sitemap for my second site in the signature and because it has over 50 thousand links the xml file was split by GSiteCrawler in three files, sitemap.xml , sitemap2.xml and the sitemap-index.xml file that is the index of both files.

The files are a bit large, about 10 MB in size both so i'd rather use the gz files instead, which total about 500 KB in total. Does this influence Sitemaps in some bad way?

Also, I wasn't sure what to do so I've uploaded all three xml and all three gz files on my site and added them in the Sitemaps account.

If I specify only the xml or gz sitemap-index file, is that enough for the crawler to read both files that contain the actual url's ?

Thanks..
    SEMrush

mariush, Mar 26, 2006 IP
    SEMrush
  2. Slapyo

Slapyo Active Member

Best Answers:
    You would add the sitemap index to your account. Google will pick that up, and see that there are 2 different sitemaps and grab each of those. If you gZip the 2 sitemaps, and leave the sitemap index as normal XML, make sure in the sitemap index it references the gZip version of both sitemaps.

Slapyo, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  3. softplus

softplus Peon

Best Answers:
    You have to use the .gz versions if you have a sitemap index (at least from the GSiteCrawler). It wouldn't make sense not to use them anyway :). You submit the URL of the sitemap index file to Google in that case (you can use either the .xml or the .xml.gz version of the sitemap index, it doesn't matter).

softplus, Mar 30, 2006 IP