1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sitemaps - Problems uploading

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by stephenmunday, Jun 14, 2005.

I could not get Google to read my site map when I used the domain name of my site in the URL I sent to Google.

Solution

I put the xml file in the root directory and used the IP address to tell G the location. Google found it fine.

Hope this helps anyone else who is experiencing similar frustrations.
    SEMrush

stephenmunday, Jun 14, 2005 IP
    SEMrush
  2. egustafson88

egustafson88 Peon

Best Answers:
    egustafson88, Apr 5, 2006 IP
  3. softplus

softplus Peon

Best Answers:
    Choose either www or non-www domain name and 301-redirect the other one. That's SOP.

Generate your sitemap URLs with the chosen domain name and submit the URL for the sitemap file to Google :).

I don't believe you'd get it to work by submitting with the IP-address (even if it works now, it will likely not work in the future). If Google can't reach your sitemap file because of the domain name, then it will likely also have trouble reaching your site to crawl it. You aren't by chance hosting with "2" (1+1)? They've been known to block the Googlebot, nixing your sitemap file and any chances of getting crawled correctly...

softplus, Apr 6, 2006 IP