1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sitemaps only indexing homepage

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by Jwill88, Aug 19, 2006.

Alright I have made 4 different sitemaps and submitted them all into google hopeing that each new one would somehow index my whole site. this wasn't the case. somehow only my homepage is indexed. I have even tried to search for a specific keyword knowing that if should show other pages then my homepage. Now im new at this whole sitemap thing and i have a fairly small website but i never thought it would be this hard. I even submitted a sitemap to yahoo also but with the same problems. Now i have a joomla based site and i am mainly using the Joomap and Intellimapper sitemap software. I also haven't been able to verify my site with google because i have the 404 error thing but i was able to verify it with yahoo. Any help or ideas you guys could offer would be great. Thanks.
    Jon

Jwill88, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    It is typical for a new site to have its homepage indexed first. As time goes on more and more pages get indexed but certainly indexing is not immediate. So indexing may have nothing to do with your sitemaps. How old is your site?

Smyrl, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  3. Jwill88

Jwill88 Peon

Best Answers:
    My site has been up for about 4 months but the sitemaps were just posted 2-3 days ago

Jwill88, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  4. ritchie111

ritchie111 Peon

Best Answers:
    It Took me my site about 3 weeks to get searched right through,
    so as above give it a little time ;)

ritchie111, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  5. Jwill88

Jwill88 Peon

Best Answers:
    3 weeks? and was that with a sitemap submitted? Ive been reading through some posts about how some people think that after they submitted their sitemap to google, they got less hits. Now, i made the mistake of not searching for my site before i submitted my sitemap so i dont have anything to compare it to.

Jwill88, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  6. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Jwill88 Google Sitemaps can take a number of weeks to update etc as mentioned before but what caught my eye was you said your site was small, how small? It might not even need a sitemap unless you want to use the extra stats contained within the service.

cormac, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  7. aed1071

aed1071 Guest

Best Answers:
    I submitted my sitemap 3 weeks ago and still only the index page and 4 other pages have been indexed.

aed1071, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  8. bermuda

bermuda Peon

Best Answers:
    All I have heard from webmasters using Google sitemap is that it has helped grately in indexing of their pages.

bermuda, Aug 20, 2006 IP
  9. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    That would be about right and does the stats show up in Sitemaps for searchs & clicks? My guess is that they are still gathering info.

Sitemaps doesnt speed up the index of your site it only assists the Google bot in seeing pages that are buried deep in large site. For example if you had a forum with thousands of pages Google bot probably would have issues crawling the whole site normally but if there was a sitemap attached then the Bot can access them easier.

cormac, Aug 20, 2006 IP