1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sitemaps DO help !!!

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by topsites, Jan 25, 2006.

It's been a real learning experience, this sitemap stuff is a real pita for me which is why I've had such an attitude about it.

First off, my site exceeds all limits: I don't even KNOW how many pages except it's way over 50k, kilobytes (try gigs of files), the whole nine yards.... And, try and find a program that can accomodate this and doesn't crash while doing it, AND properly splits it all up (yes I want the icing on the cake too) without me worrying about WHO is watching the program run (hint: spyware some slickos watch your site as they offer you a free service)... whew!

Finally, months have went into this, all I ever wanted was something simple I could enter some settings and a url and please make things easy (yeah like import my robots.txt), you just don't know but I finally found a program!!!

Ok, so whether or not it will increase my ranking in Google, who knows?

But now that I ran sitemap I was able to spot some really bad errors (like missing pages, duplicate content (two directories different names but I accidentally uploaded the same files to each), stuff like that... On a 50k+ page site, there is no way in the world I would've ever seen these errors.

Does fixing that stuff help?
    Maybe it doesn't increase traffic, but it sure doesn't hurt LOL !
    If I get absolutely nothing else out of it, at least it helped me fix my place up a little bit.

You gotta try it, here's the url to da kick-a... sitemap gen:
    http://johannesmueller.com/gs/

topsites, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  2. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Good to here that you have finally got your sitemap figured out. I am running into the exact issues BUT in my case I'm talking in excess of 100K pages. All the programs I use had puked and gone into convultions around the 40K page mark. Is the GS version you are using a new release? GS could not complete my site either.

cheers
    Frank

LaCabra, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  3. noiprox

noiprox Peon

Best Answers:
    it took me some time to find a good generator and figure it all out. within weeks i saw a big improvement when i got my sitemaps done and uploaded. i have 10-20 bots regularly on a daily basis at all times of the day... it was 1-2, so im assuming it was my sitemap changes

noiprox, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  4. pcunix

pcunix Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I have a medium sized site (~13,000 pages) and simply wrote my own site map generator in Perl. It's not hard (assuming you know a little Perl). I read in all the pages in and then write the file, which is probably how most generators work and is probably why they choke on jumbo sites. But there's no reason that you HAVE to do it that way; with very little extra effort you could process each file name as you encounter it and thus avoid any large arrays.. though really, 100k pages at even 30 characters per page is not much storage, so I'm surprised they blew up. If you want, I have Perl source at http://aplawrence.com/Words2005/2005_06_09.html free for the taking and playing.

pcunix, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  5. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    PCUnix ... thanks for the offer but my site is ASP and the ISP doesn't let me install my own scripts :( but thanks anyways :) ...

LaCabra, Jan 25, 2006 IP