1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sitemap priority?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by $earner, Apr 27, 2008.

My website has three hierarchical levels:

Frontpage
    Sub-frontpages
    and products

My frontpage has a priority of 1.0 and the rest the site has a priority of 0.1.
    Is it OK to have such a low priority for non-frontpage pages?
    Should I increase the priority of non-frontpage pages?

Thanks in advance.

$earner, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  2. AdamCox9

AdamCox9 Peon

Best Answers:
    I read that the default is 0.5 for all pages and then the algorithms are run to increase/decrease the rest.

I have my front page as 1.0 and some other more important pages as 0.8 and the rest at 0.5. The webmaster dashboard in Google does not give any information about the priority that Google assigns any pages. I think that they should. I would like to know if this has any effect.

I would not feel safe putting a 0.1 on any pages for the priority. You might be hurting those pages, but probably not. I don't think they would decrease your placement in the search engines.

AdamCox9, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  3. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To set same priority (e.g. 0.5 or 1.0) for all pages is at best meaningless. Programs such as A1 Sitemap Generator can calculate priority for all pages based on your internal linking. However, if that is not what you want, you should either set priority values manually or leave them out! You can check this sitemaps priority article for more information.

websitetools, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  4. AdamCox9

AdamCox9 Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright, thanks for that article. I should probably update my sitemap a bit. It is probably causing more harm than good right now.

AdamCox9, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  5. $earner

$earner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks both of you.
    Very good article.

$earner, Apr 28, 2008 IP