1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sitemap generation from a .CSV file ?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by macseyco, Apr 4, 2006.

I've a client whos site I've crawled to build him an xml google site map no probs done that 50,000 pages. But he wants a .html sitemap as well now I've got the csv file so easy just chuck it in a database and throw some asp at it.

But heres the snag.

I'm not allowed to run any scripts on there site. Anyone some suggestions...

It needs to be self generating as the pages change on a regular bases and obviously needs to generate numerous pages ideally in html.

Been thinkin there might be away using the XML file to generate the pages....mmm
    SEMrush

macseyco, Apr 4, 2006 IP
    SEMrush
  2. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    The client wants a html sitemap with 50K pages?

Don't do this. Make the site easy for spiders to navigate using text links and there is no need for a sitemap.

No spider will follow 50K links from a page anyway.

mad4, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  3. macseyco

macseyco Member

Best Answers:
    Yep aware of this the files to large, looking for a system that a generate say 500 pages with 100 links on each page.

Some spiders can't crawl asp pages...

macseyco, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  4. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    All spiders can crawl asp pages.

mad4, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  5. macseyco

macseyco Member

Best Answers:
    Prehaps I should have wrote

All spiders have problems crawling dynamically generated pages.

Site maps are a nessacary evil see google sitemaps, URLlists for Yahoo or even ROR generally friendly to all search engines.

But the bottom line is simple you can't beat a good old fashioned html sitemap for indexing purposes.

macseyco, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  6. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    Hm-m-m. I'm not quite sure where you got this idea from. This has not been true for many years. Spiders will crawl just about any type of dynamic site as long as the URLs are friendly and the site has a good linking structure. All a spider sees is a text file similar to what you see when you use View, Source. Most spiders do not care if it's a dynamic page. All they see is the client-side code, and that should not be any different whether it is a static page or a dynamic page.

TechEvangelist, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  7. macseyco

macseyco Member

Best Answers:
    hang on lets readjust my opening statement again

All spiders have problems crawling dynamically generated pages epecially with ? in the URL's

You're right of course but if you don't have friendly URL's to start with and you don't have access to the script you can't put this right, but I still need to do my job and as I've already tried to knock down the wall in front of me I though it my be best to get round it.

macseyco, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  8. macseyco

macseyco Member

Best Answers:
    Besides this side conversation about the abilities of spiders one I'm pretty keen to continue has anyone got ideas on my original querry.

macseyco, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  9. softplus

softplus Peon

Best Answers:
    BS. Don't know where you got it from, perhaps from a time traveller from 1985?

Have you looked at the serps lately? I can't find a query that doesn't show dynamic URLs in the top 10.

softplus, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  10. macseyco

macseyco Member

Best Answers:
    If thats BS tell me you know just take a guess why Google and Yahoo ask you to have an XML sitemap or a Urllist or why eighteen billion websites bother to use a sitemaps.

Probably because its just nice to add extra pages, " I don't think so Numb Nuts "

Now if you'd like to answer the real question I'm listening. Otherwise get back into your fantasy world of time travel and give my regards to Dr Who.

macseyco, Apr 11, 2006 IP