1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

sitemap for root, /directory, and /forums should be seperate?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by ly2, Mar 29, 2006.

So I should have three sitemaps in this situation?
    Should I have a sitemap.xml in the root directory, then a sitemap.xml in the /forum directory and so on?
    SEMrush
    Or, if I put one huge sitemap in the root directory, that will be good?

Thanks in advance!

ly2, Mar 29, 2006 IP
    SEMrush
  2. softplus

softplus Peon

Best Answers:
    It really doesn't make much difference :)

If you are using sitemap index files (eg >50k urls) then you could search for a system where you could group the URLs by update frequency. That way Google would only have to download the sitemap files of the URLs that have actually been changed. But usually once you have a site that large, you don't have to worry about the bandwidth created by Google downloading sitemap files :).

Do it however it works best for you.

softplus, Mar 30, 2006 IP
  3. ly2

ly2 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a forum with over 150,000 posts.
    The sitemap is gonna be huge and I am wondering if it's gonna be TOO big.
    I'm making it now, and its already at 22,000 urls with 60,000 waiting to be processed and it's still scanning and adding more urls as I speak. Is that going to be an issue?

ly2, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  4. 1-script.com

1-script.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Although I did not have much luck with sitemaps myself (see my other thread here), I'd have to say that gzipping the sitemap does the trick. it becomes literally 90% smaller because it''s all text, and text compresses VERY well. And yes, you can break your sitemap into pieces but then you have to give Google a sort of a "top level" sitemap pointing to other sitemap files. Sorry for the shameless plug but the best I can illustrate it is to send you to my site here: http://www.1-script.com/forums/alt.internet.search-engines-newsgroup1-.htm. Scroll down to see the "top level" map and from there you'll be able to see them all.

Good luck!

1-script.com, Apr 26, 2006 IP