1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site Submission in Different Dmoz Categories

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by christyy, Aug 26, 2010.

Can I submit my site under different categories in Dmoz??

What time Dmoz take to list a website after submission???

christyy, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can all the answers from the sticky or just reading other posts.
    Submit once
    Takes from a few days to a few years to get a review for a possible listing.

Anonymously, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  3. theseoguys

theseoguys Member

Best Answers:
    You are supposed to submit to the most relevant category that pertains to your site. If you can find a relevant category that has an editor, you may be approved sooner than later.

theseoguys, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  4. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In practice, submitting in different categories increases the likelihood of being reviewed and your application transferred to the proper category (about 50-60% of sumissions are in the wrong category).

But again, DMOZ links are a total waste of time, and are as worthless as ever.

helleborine, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  5. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Every category has hundreds of editors. A name at the bottom of a category only indicates the limit of an editors permissions to edit. An editor can edit in the category with their name at the foot and every child category in the tree. On top of that we have several hundred editors who can simply edit everywhere and anywhere and often do just go in and edit because they liked the category. So it is nonesense to talk about categories with editors. Also editors often have their name at the foot of several categories, I have, and some I have not edited for aquite a long time, but one day I will get there and one day I may even use the suggestions.

Anonymously, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  6. helleborine

Best Answers:
    That's the theory.

In practice, you need basic calculus concepts of "approaches ZERO."

Nah, if I review a site in my category, and I decide it belongs in "goth widgets" instead, and no editor bothers with "goth widgets" for ages, and I don't have permissions to directly add the site to "goth widgets," then the application is back at the end of the line for eternity.

helleborine, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    But if you don't submit to 'goth widgets' then the site WILL be moved there anyway, yes it might wait but if goth widgets is reviewed by an editor and your site resides in 'fred's widgets' then it will be missed in 'goths widgets' and when it is sent there it will have to wait until someone comes along and works the area and wants to review the suggestions. Moral of the story, research seriously where your site belongs, do not try to place it in a 'higher category' it will get moved and that may well delay the process of review.

Suggesting it in several places, wastes editor time, because it gets transferred from the wrong categories to the right one and does not overwrite the others, so it wastes editor time, but allows editors to see if you are spamming the directory, spam is dumped and banned. Moral of the story, follow guidelines, find correct category, submit once and then forget.

Anonymously, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  8. SEO Expert Nepal

SEO Expert Nepal Peon

Best Answers:
    Submit in most relevant category and don't expect to listed by dmoz. I'm sick of DMOZ and other ODP.

SEO Expert Nepal, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  9. Eric89

Eric89 Peon

Best Answers:
    You should place your site in the most related category in DMOZ..So that dmoz can list your site...

Eric89, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  10. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is true.
    It is not non sense when there are categories and names of editors still in there which are not editors anymore. Assuming they are and their categories haven't been updated since 2007. What's up with that ?

popotalk, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    DMOZ and ODP are the same. Please realise that DMOZ does not exist to be a listing service for site owners, we accept suggestions but the job of DMOZ and its editors is to build categories for those who want to search the net using collated and categorised sites and suggested sites are only one resource for DMOZ editors. But you can always apply to edit and join the volunteer group who do the work in their spare time and is their hobby. Application starts on every category with the 'apply to edit this category button'.

Anonymously, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So what you are saying is that YOU can edit in every category, so every category has YOU as an editor, yet you don't use the unreviewed queue?

What's wrong with that logic?

What good is it having YOU as an editor for ALL categories if you are not even utulizing the tools given too you? OH THAT"S RIGHT... the guidelines are just that, guidelines, and rules were meant to be broken. No wonder you've been banned here in the past, and have yet to back up your claims to being an editor.

I'm actually guessing you do not use the unreviewed queue because you do not even have access too it!

There is certainly more logic in that statement then the one of yours I quoted.

Qryztufre, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  13. helleborine

Best Answers:
    Yes, but if you don't know the arcane bowels of the ODP, then the chances that you guess the category correctly say, /shopping/widgets/goth or /crafts/widgets/goth or /hobby/widgets/goth, are increased if you apply in all of them.

Hehehehe but "editors" aka listers of links are doing that exclusively, they are massively wasting their time anyway, so the question of whether they waste their time more or less efficiently is a big joke.

Furthermore, whether webmasters get their own link faster at the expense of other webmasters is totally inconsequential as the links have been worthless for SERPs since 2001 or so.

helleborine, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  14. helleborine

Best Answers:
    Another reason why Google doesn't need the ODP... the ODP's links are old, sclerotic, stale, 404, domain hijacked, and the editors are either finding sites from webmaster submissions OR USING GOOGLE for cryin' out loud.

helleborine, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  15. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    until you are banned for ever as a spammer that sort of slows you down just a tad in getting listed.

Anonymously, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Is it an automated system? If not then what are the chances of you ever noticing?

And what is the difference between the following...

• submitting once & never getting reviewed
    • Submitting to 5 categories & getting banned
    • Submitting 50 times & getting banned
    • Not submitting at all
    It does seem that for most submissions, getting banned & simply not getting listed have pretty much the same odds. So why not play the numbers?

Qryztufre, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  17. stan7

stan7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it will work , you have to submit to one category.

stan7, Sep 29, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  18. helleborine

Best Answers:
    Q says the truth in post #16. The Knights of The Lizard Corpse have to stick to the party line, but Q is free to tell the truth.

helleborine, Oct 3, 2010 IP
  19. mickthelink

mickthelink Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can submit to 2 if its relevant, in fact I believe that a shop may go into a shopping category as well a a regional category if its useful.

mickthelink, Oct 9, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    half right, half wrong...

If it's an editors site, or if an editor likes the site, it can have hundreds or even thousands of listings!

For the submitter, its JUST ONE! With the exception of it also being allowed in Regional.

Qryztufre, Oct 12, 2010 IP