1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

site removed from the odp

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by lunaraurora, Nov 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I am SURE that stuff like that happens all the time. I mean, people faking to do work for someone that is pretending they did a good job....yeah, you are brilliant!

Here is a sign of abuse.

TOPIX, it's an affiliated site of a editor named Skrenta, and has thousands upon thousands of listings that were NOT put there by a human!

See, a site, an editor, and method of placement.

Qryztufre, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  2. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Highly original Q, but dont try and twist things......the so called buying links is what we are talking about, but yet again......no urls. :)

snooks, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  3. ContentSpooling

ContentSpooling Peon

Best Answers:
    If you obey the rules of ODP then it's not a problem. The best thing that you can do for now is to resubmit your site.

ContentSpooling, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's about the worse thing you can do

Anonymously, Nov 13, 2009 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Corruption in general... nice way to ignore that point.

I suppose as I didn't add the domain extension, the FACT is now only a theory?

Qryztufre, Nov 14, 2009 IP
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Don't be so modest, as far as corruption and bribing moderators in different web masters forums is concerned, you have a kind of unique reputation. ;)

gworld, Nov 14, 2009 IP
  7. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess DMOZ editors are admitting their own corruption in discussions like this one. They are actually asking for evidence we don't have, because they do everything they can for keeping that evidence out of our hands. And that is simply a way of admitting the don't give a damn about proof. They established the rules for corruption not being cleaned up from DMOZ and they stand for this corruption making impossible for outsiders to provide any proof.
    It's like they're saying "guys, we don't want any proof about this corruption. We already know about it and, as it benefits us and our friends, we won't stop it.".

caprichoso, Nov 17, 2009 IP
  8. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well its great to see that you are finally admitting you dont have any evidence and the only thing that you do have, is a dislike for editors and anything connected with dmoz.

But i do thank you for posting an honest statement that you dont have any proof and that all you do is repeat hearsay and inuendos :)

snooks, Nov 17, 2009 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. nice try. It is more than enough proof to show the corruption in DMOZ and show how the editors get paid for listings but you lot keep asking for editor social security number and his or her shoe size and if some one tell you that they don't have it, you take it as proof that there is no corruption. ;):rolleyes:

gworld, Nov 17, 2009 IP
  10. WECpoker

WECpoker Peon

Best Answers:
    I also had my site in the same exact section and was removed a few months ago. I never realized I was removed until just recently as I was checking on my link at DMOZ. After I realized the link was removed, I figured it had to be a few months ago when my Google PR was suddenly and inexplicably downgraded.

Many sites still link my site with DMOZ and it must take a while for you to completely disappear. If you google DMOZ and my site it reports many results still.

It is horrible as far as PR goes anyway, as it directly effects the Page Ranking. My site is a poker resource site and it has only grown and is updated on a regular basis, so I am unsure why it was removed. Interesting that it was in the same category.

Well, I did recently resubmit my site in a different section.

The least they could do is inform you of the delisting and tell people what the reasoning was....I thought I had been penalized by Google for one reason or another when a friend emailed me that my google PR had been slashed. Amatuers like me always get hit the hardest, I mean we already have no idea what is going on :(

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
    WECpoker, Nov 24, 2009 IP
  11. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    inform? reasoning? Are you talking about DMOZ? seriously?

Well. They won't inform you nor give you any reason for delisting your site. They won't even if the have a good reason for doing so. Because, if they explain when they have a good reason it will be too obvious when the have no reason. If they keep all this behind scenes, people has to guess what's going on. Of course, we have a good idea about what's up there anyway. :)

caprichoso, Nov 24, 2009 IP
  12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sometimes sites are moved to new categories, held in test while a category is being built, shunted for some reason and you want us to tell people who suggested the site, maybe a member of the public, that we are taking it out from the directory. We shall need to triple our editor numbers to cope with emails asking when/if it will go back, then if we remove a site and if we reject a site. We would never send any emails out because we would simply be dealing with the backlash of emails. And if we did not deal with them it must be because we are corrupt.

We build categories, public can suggest sites, we don't promise them a place nor once in that they will not be removed, wwe do not run a service for webmasters. There are plenty of directories where you can pay for a quick listing, ours is free to submit, free whilst listed and then webmasters think we who spend our spare time on our HOBBY should tell them what happened to their site.

Anonymously, Nov 24, 2009 IP
  13. WECpoker

WECpoker Peon

Best Answers:
    I understand, but really, it would take about two seconds to send an email with a standard line for most with a fill in the blank..."your site was removed because...." And even include a no-reply address etc.

Just human courtesy I guess.

It is what it is...thank you for the response though.

WECpoker, Nov 24, 2009 IP
  14. Shailendra Mishra

Shailendra Mishra Peon

Best Answers:
    Most probably it is done by some editor, who dont find your website worth it. He must be very rude :(

Shailendra Mishra, Nov 24, 2009 IP
  15. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should also note that a huge amount of the sites in ODP would not even know that they are in it. Many are companies, organisations, museums, churches etc that probably have not heard of us. Editors find the site when they are surfing, or through other methods and then publish it. Communicating would be time consuming and achieve nothing, other than possibly huge amounts of emails back and forwards.

In here, everyone has heard of ODP because they think its a listing service and are chasing PR, which most certainly is not what the ODP is really about.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
    snooks, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    So we include a no-reply address.

Dear Sir the site you suggested to DMOZ has been removed, it no longer meets up to our standards" You cannot reply to this email. WoW Digital point would be full of
    "My site is up to standard, why has it been removed, editor must be corrupt"

But imagine someone who commended that site, not a webmaster, but just a member of the public, who also discovered a good site, what would their reaction be?

Just speculate a little more with snooks's reply. We deeplink a great deal off sites like the BBC, they would be inudated every time we moved a site with these replies or the editor would have to have a manual override. Remember too that our bots take out web sites if over a period of days they do not return and a small percentage the bots get it wrong, but it can be some time before can get to human edit it. The site owner gets a "sorry our bots say that your site does not return and it has been removed from the directory, you cannot reply to this email". DP and RZ and all other forums would be flooded. Some editors either do not have the scope to edit in a category that a site needs to be in rather than the one it is presently listed in, so the editor sends it to the category best suited, then another editor has to review the site to check that and list it because the first editor could not do that. In the meanwhile the owner has been told the site is being moved, but no way of telling when it will be relisted, DP flooded again. Hundreds of sites involved.

We do not offer a service to webmasters as to if their site is listed, we are a group of people enjoying our hobby, no payment, working in our spare time not a business. There are many other directories that offer that service, though I would be glad to know of which directories inform you if you have been removed, even when you have paid top be there. Indeed you can pay BOTW and never get listed.

Anonymously, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

It would be one more step in actually serving the end user! Just think, some random web surfer finds a great site, submits it to their favorite directory, and in a few months they get that no-reply email... they would likely check the site themselves, find that it's turned to crap, and delete it from their bookmarks. WIN/WIN rather then LOSE/LOSE :D

Qryztufre, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  18. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Was that a useful comment to post for the person asking a genuine question? It is not surprising that editors post less and less here.

Anonymously, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Actually it was a useful comment to post for a genuine question...

Though, maybe not through the eyes of a supposed editor. You see, MOST people in the world find that communication is a good thing.

I know that if I were to bookmark a site that I found to be useful and someone came along and pointed out that the site had turned to crap I'd be thrilled to know that the site was not what it used to be.

*shrug*

Qryztufre, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  20. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    Again. Communication, to inform, to explain, reason are concepts DMOZ editors won't use. Such concepts would ruin their business. No matter how many times you show them the good communication will do. They will refuse, same excuses, same cyclic argument. They don't want it. Period.

caprichoso, Nov 25, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.