1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

site removed from the odp

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by lunaraurora, Nov 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Our site (you can see homepage in my profile) has been removed from ODP after more than 2 years of presence, i can still see his presence in google directory but no more in dmoz, i just ask myself why??
    we didn't broke any google rule, we didn't asked to dmoz more submissions (like internal pages) than the only one we had.
    We just removed from there, and this s_ck :mad: because we would like to know why ..btw i made a new submission.. any suggestions :confused:

lunaraurora, Nov 7, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lunaraurora, there seems to be two ways out of DMOZ.

Automated: a robot detecting your site down for a certain period of time, and such.
    Manual: an editor.

Since there is a lot of broken links and sites that should be automatically removed in DMOZ, I think those robots aren't working. Which leave us with the second option.

If your site hasn't broken any rule —I have checked my self and I can't see anything wrong there—, you have to presume a corrupt editor removed it.

You may have read about corruption at DMOZ before. There is evidence of sites listed for money and for self-promotion. And there are claims about editors accepting money for removing currently listed sites. May be you competitors paid someone for removing your site.

Of course, looking for proves about this is almost impossible and even if you report an abuse. Your claim ends up in the hand of those you are reporting.

caprichoso, Nov 7, 2009 IP
  3. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That would be a foolish assumption.:(

Sites are removed from ODP for very many reasons, broken links making it inoperable for end user, lack of unique content, sometimes sites are included and then change focus, sometimes sites are included and then it is found out that perhaps they should not have been included.

Perhaps The Guidelines may allow you to understand why it is no longer included.

Regards.

snooks, Nov 7, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It may be a foolish assumption, but one based on as much fact as any other assumption. As the ODP has a non-communication rule in place, that leaves ONLY assumption.

It's also, according to editors, a foolish assumption to think that people can buy links in the ODP, yet there is example after example of completed transaction with positive feedback on sitesw like scriptlance...

So who are people to believe? What is by all accounts corruption when looked at by the outside, or the editors that get their top secret information from behind closed doors and only allow little tiny bits outs? Sounds to me like it's what the naked eye shows...

~ corruption! ~

Foolish assumption? Maybe... but then, that's more your fault then mind, its the ODP that is not willing to talk or communicate accept of course Anonymously :rolleyes:

Qryztufre, Nov 7, 2009 IP
  5. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    they should believe that no site is guaranteed a listing in DMOZ and any site can be removed at any time, makes buying a listing even more stupid, you can get banned forever and you may be removed anyway.

There is just the possibility bthe site might be being moved to a better category, the editor moving the site may simply have shifted it to the right category and left it for a local editor to review, perhaps because the editor could not add to the new category.

Anonymously, Nov 7, 2009 IP
  6. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What category? I can not find it in Google Directory.

Agent000, Nov 7, 2009 IP
  7. lunaraurora

lunaraurora Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here Agent: /Top/Games/Gambling/Guides/Reviews/

lunaraurora, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  8. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    OK, i see it now. It looks like a lot of sites in that category have been removed. There must have been some sort of clean up and those site that no longer met the criteria or added anything unique to the category were removed.

Agent000, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  9. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Or... may be a corrupt editor removed a bunch of sites instead of removing just one. That way, people should assume it was an automated process. The fact is, we will never know the truth. Based on the evidence of DMOZ corruption and being a site about money, I tend to think it was corruption.

You, who are supposed to be a DMOZ editor, are telling us not to buy a DMOZ link. Link, you know for real, are available to buy.

caprichoso, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  10. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The fact is that you will not believe the truth because you simply dont wish to see it.

The fact is you always try and discredit dmoz.

The fact is you never provide any firm evidence of abuse or corruption, merely inuendo and hearsay. If you have proof, present it in black and white, specific url and specifc method of abuse.

If you cant do this, then you should stop spruiking your wild accusations. :(

snooks, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    OH, you mean like the COMPLETED transactions on Scriptlance for PAID ODP LISTINGS with POSITIVE feedback which by all editor accounts is NOT proof of paid links in DMOZ?

The fact you are trying to give too much credit to DMOZ?

No one gives FIRM evidence because YOU will not tell us what we need! We keep asking... time and time again, yet still you have yet to reply with what is truly needed. It's CLEAR that positive feedback on a completed transaction is not enough... what is needed? A mothers maiden name?

Well said!

Qryztufre, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  12. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mmmhhh....It appears that you cant read very well:rolleyes:

Provide a specific url that was listed by an alleged corrupt editor accepting payment. (I typed it slowly, just in case you cant read very fast)

Considering you and "your friends" are always stating this claim, well, it shouldnt be hard to show one.

snooks, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  13. temp2

temp2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    my site was, and I still don't know the reason :(

temp2, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  14. woody7906

woody7906 Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. The ODP is not as important as it used to be. I would just submit your site and forget about it.

sometimes it takes year to get in if you get in at all. It really depends on the category and the competition in the category to get listed.

You would be better off to work on Yahoo and the BOTW

I say folks should endeavor not to let their blood pressure get so high over a Dmoz listing...:p

its not the end of the world...relax..

woody7906, Nov 9, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  15. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    That's just wrong guy's on the name of god can you stop even a day or a week and stop this lyes ? with robots witch dmoz pretend to have and such ? This deceptive advertising way it's just wrong damn it , I have reported myself one url months ago an domain parked !!! since more than a year , On the directory are hundreds and hundreds of spam links all type of links named up .... BUT for an live and operable site only reason for deletion can be no payment for the contribute or an editor who just got interested about the niche ... since the niche where OP is extremely competitive we can guess easy what happens damn it . How the hell if there was a robot who check the links they found an lucrative site and same robots aren't finding parked domains / links for not existent sites / suspended sites and so on ? damn it guys try and be honest jeezus christ aren't hurting ya .

my honest advice dude ... just check who it's the genie who's moderate your category / go at domain tools or any other whois service similar with them and try to trace the editor name you will have some surprises . Well ... I don't think any editor *( decent and honest one ) will ever list a site made just for affiliate promotion , that's not compatible with the guidelines , and your site that's it , it's just made for affiliate earnings . HOW you got listed and why ... that's a total mystery for me at least at this point ...

IF i`ll do this , with proof of payment , with url and everything what's need what will happens ?? DO YOU or anyone else can delete all garbage connected with this ? include ALL editors / cat / meta connected by any way with him / all links and all categories connected with this ? I can bet you cant because you too have someone up to ya ;) who will be somehow connected so ... WHERE it's the point to ask about such things when you can't do nothing ? .... easy way for peoples who can read and write fast it's just to show everyone what kind of links the directory have and for what that directory it's there.

You are editor ? yeah ? ok ... can you take again a look on the site named up ? and read again the guidelines ? When you reach this line from the guidelines
    go back at the site witch we discuss above ... and check it again , browse it , see what's about ... and now .. if you or any editor come now and claim to not recognize an '' affiliate site '' means then the question it's how the heck you guys have such privileges ? Jim or other dinosaurs when added you what about was thinking ?

First Question on this thread can be who it's the genie who added this site on the directory , who's the genie who added the editor to editorial team ... and how on the name of god such site got listed here? .... And like this are other hundreds examples on the directory ... sites witch promote mlm products , and so on ...

The guidelines was updated like 3 years ago . Check this :
    1. web.archive
    2. domain tools report

This PROOFS show you this domain wasn't changed after years ! THIS site was like and since 2007 when it's online , IF OP claiming to be listed since 2 years means this site was added on the directory when was created . HOW's come this then ? ...
    most probably this changes are because godaddy update always their ip ranges ... So ... PROOFS ... HOW was this site added on the directory ? who added it ? who it's the meta who added the editor ? .... This are real questions witch need to be asked by someone decent or who's consider himself decent ... and then you can ask about more proofs !

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    trustnobodynever, Nov 10, 2009 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Specific links to those completed transactions have been given... it's not my job to do the work after that, it's the job of the ODP. What reply do we get? Well, nothing more then a completed transaction is NOT proof that it's happening! As for my friends, I have more editors that are friends then ex-editors... so :confused:

Qryztufre, Nov 11, 2009 IP
  17. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Like i said, specific url, specific editor. Yet again you dont provide the info. Who's to say these alleged transactions happened, whose to say that the person is indeed an editor, its highly likely he's claiming to be an editor to scam people that are trying to buy a listing. You should realise this, surely?

LOL. Not your job, but you seem to be making it your life goal considering that you are saying it always happens, but sadly, see above comment. :(

snooks, Nov 11, 2009 IP
  18. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    True, its enough to piss of some meta or his pal for your site to be removed. :rolleyes:

That never bothered meta editors before, they are well known for twisting people words into anything they need to prove their accusations. :p

Ivan Bajlo, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  19. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nobody else around here would ever dream of doing such a thing of course ;).

jimnoble, Nov 12, 2009 IP
  20. gbancrig

gbancrig Peon

Best Answers:
    You will never find a more wretched hive of.....

No, just kidding. I'm sorry to hear about your site, but you never know with the ODP. And it is overrun by corruption.

gbancrig, Nov 12, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.