1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site Map on tiny site.....

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by badlael, Jan 31, 2006.

I created a site map and registered with Google 2 1/2 weeks ago. The site is way small. 5 pages. To date the google bot has not graced the door. No, the site map like all other bets is not a guarantee but how long does it typically take (small site) to get indexed? This is my first ever attempt at trying to get a site listed on any SE.

badlael, Jan 31, 2006 IP
  2. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    You will need to get some backlinks to your site to speed the process up. You can start by getting enough posts here to place your site in your signature. Good luck.

ServerUnion, Jan 31, 2006 IP
  3. gordonfreeman

gordonfreeman Peon

Best Answers:
    ussualy in about 3 weeks - a month.. as server said, backlinks may speed it up

gordonfreeman, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  4. badlael

badlael Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the input. I wasn't aware of the importance of backlinks. I've also read since I posted there is a fairly heavy emphasis on the how you word / keyword the title of each page. Would you agree?

badlael, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  5. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right. A good plan is to have every page distinct and targeted to a set of phrases.

ServerUnion, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  6. badlael

badlael Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm beginning to wonder about these bots. I checked on the site stats an hour ago and it reports URL denied and lists the reason as location of the site map. Are these bots drunk sometimes? I mean I've checked the site map file and it's in the root directory to the site. All the url's are below it. The site verified from the get go so I assumed their routine for site verification also checks the sitemap file location plus the id file they have you put up. I'm cornfused. Maybe I'm missing something here?:confused:

badlael, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  7. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No the verification only checks for existence of the number file .
    Think of it this way .
    If you are not the site owner , you cannot upload any file to the server of that site . If that number file is found on your domain , means you have uploaded it and are site owner .
    This will prevent me from adding your site in my account and seeing stats for your site from my account . Because the number in my account is different from that in your account .
    Got it ?

The sitemap must be found at the exact location you entered when submitting to google and should be in the root directory and not in some folder within.
    example http://www.yourdomain.com/sitemap.xml is right .
    http://www.yourdomain.com/folder/sitemap.xml is wrong .

Hope that helps you .
    Regards
    Jeet

JEET, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  8. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have a 5 page site then you can get it spidered without a site map page no problem.

Just get a few links by submitting to directories or adding your link to this forum in a post (try the website review section).

mad4, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  9. badlael

badlael Guest

Best Answers:
    Jeet, mad4; Thanks for your input. I'll check the file location again to make certain it's in the root directory. ServerUnion had made a similar suggestion as you have mad4. I'll do that today and keep checking the results. Interesting animal this google SE...

badlael, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  10. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    If all else fails let me know your url and I will put it in my signature for a couple of weeks. That will get it indexed no problems.

mad4, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  11. badlael

badlael Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks mad4. Appreciate it!

I'll do all the things you guys have suggested. It's hard when you stupid. I hate being the newbie...

badlael, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  12. jonhenshaw

jonhenshaw Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, if your site is new, and nobody else knows it exists, Google may take their sweet time before actually indexing it. You could call it their anti-spam and good content time filter.

jonhenshaw, Feb 4, 2006 IP
  13. badlael

badlael Guest

Best Answers:
    Ok. Confused.

Checked the site map status last week. No errors and indexed pages and info reports have data. Today I checked to find the "Denied URL" error report. Reason-URL not under Sitemap path;

Site is parked in a sub domain as well as the sitemap:

http://www.mysite.com/public_html/index.htm - - - - etc.
    http://www.mysite.com/public_htm/mysitemap.xml

Site Map lists my files as:

http://www.mysite.com/index.htm - - - - etc.

I'm I missing something or is this just to be expected quirky behavior?

badlael, Feb 17, 2006 IP
  14. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Your sitemap should be stored at domain.com/sitemap.txt or /sitemap.xml

mad4, Feb 17, 2006 IP
  15. cyberryo

cyberryo Peon

Best Answers:
    My suggestion is to create a google sitemap account and then ping google to let them know about your sitemap.xml every time you have changed it.
    You can do so at:
    https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/login?source=gsm&subid=us-et-wbmstrhm

For your sitemap, I am not sure how you did it. I use the free sitemap generator at:
    http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

But instead of just saving the sitemapxml file in public domain folder, I saved it into my own website root directory which is same location as the index.html file.

Every time after adding new pages or editing my website, I will generate the new sitemap, replace the old sitemap in the root directory with the new one, and then go to the google sitemap website to alert them know of the new sitemap.

Hope this simple explanation helps.

cyberryo, Feb 18, 2006 IP