1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

site in DMOZ not in Google Dorectory

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by selfstyledexpert, Jan 19, 2005.

Why would a site that's been in DMOZ forever not also be in the Google Directory?

selfstyledexpert, Jan 19, 2005 IP
    yfs1 likes this.
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Got me.. Did you submit your link to Google? The always works for me :) Here's a good place to start: http://www.google.com/webmasters/

Keep in mind it can take a month or more to get listed in Google from a DMOZ link:

"2. What else can I do to get listed in Google?

If you are having difficulty getting listed in the Google index, you may want to consider submitting your site to Yahoo! or Netscape. You can submit to Yahoo! by visiting http://docs.yahoo.com/info/suggest/. You can submit your site to Netscape's Open Directory Project (DMOZ) by visiting www.dmoz.org. Once your site is included in either of these directories, Google will often index your site within six to eight weeks."

Mia, Jan 19, 2005 IP
  3. seoxperts

seoxperts Peon

Best Answers:
    what is ur website ? It is very strange, and almost VERY rate for a website to be in DMOZ forever and not to exist in google directory. Is that what you are talking about ? RIght ? Correct me if I am wrong please...!!

seoxperts, Jan 19, 2005 IP
  4. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I guess it depends on what "forever" is. Forever could be several weeks/days to some.. In terms of DMOZ it is not unusual for "forever" to be a month or two :)

Mia, Jan 19, 2005 IP
  5. selfstyledexpert

selfstyledexpert Peon

Best Answers:
    It is very strange. Check this out:

http://dmoz.org/Business/Wholesale_Trade/Directories/
    24 sites in the directory

http://directory.google.com/Top/Business/Wholesale_Trade/Directories/
    23 sites in the recently updated google directory

the site in question is http://www.wholesale411.com
    Any DMOZ editor can verify that this site has been in DMOZ since 2002

why in the world would it be missing?

selfstyledexpert, Jan 20, 2005 IP
  6. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    At first glance it looks not so much missing as removed. The site has a PR0 and is not in the SERPs for "world's largest wholesale merchandise locator" which although not a unique phrase brings up a few sites one of which should be yours.

Google obviously thinks you are a naughty boy and sent you out of the class :)

- Michael

Michael, Jan 20, 2005 IP
  7. selfstyledexpert

selfstyledexpert Peon

Best Answers:
    that's certainly one conclusion to draw, but manual penalties are pretty unusual (so I hear) and to my knowlege this site is pretty clean...

check this out

a search on Google for info:wholesale411.com
    (sorry forum says I can't post the link)

mouse over the cache links etc. and you see it wants to show you a URL for AdMinder

I traced those links to someone who put a banner up as a friendly gesture. I've seen a couple of the AdMinder links before and i know that even if the person who placed the ad removes it, that makes the AdMinder link revert to the adminder homepage, rather than the link going 404 or something.

I look at that and I say "hijack"-- but, should a hijack cause removal from the Google Directory? If so, there's got to be a lot of sites in DMOZ missing from Google Directory.

I guess the info: search and the Google Directory could be independent of each other. But, Google modifies the directory based on PR, according to them, so I think this is all probably algorithmic, but I haven't heard a peep about a similar situation from anyone.

selfstyledexpert, Jan 20, 2005 IP
  8. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe you have several mirror sites, and they have equivalent content. I think Google knows this, and has dropped you. I'm guessing a bit.

macdesign, Jan 20, 2005 IP
  9. damion

damion Guest

Best Answers:
    Wholesale411 (Adnet) is currently holding 1-2 the editor positions for the OPD - under business shopping directories--- How does this company maintain an editor position and own operate a ppc search engine for wholesalers with all these mirror sites?

The company have been reported for abusing the editorial position by using shill bidding and blocking competitors from entry into the opd..

Editors Abusing:
    joesegal, christa
    jp29997

They are also more than a mere directory..selling wholesale storefronts.

Complaints were filed with open directory but they don't seem to care?

Hello,
    I advertised with a website called Wholesale411.com for three months. Within those three months I watched my pay click account drain very quickly as the top bids were always expensive and well clicked.

I then realized that the people I was bidding against were the search engine owners themselves! They would bid $0.29 to be in the #3 spot even though the #4 spot was bid at $0.14... This meant that if I wanted to be #1,2,3 I would have to bid $0.30+ to beat out their own bid.

It was not just me. They have 100s of advertisers and all were having to bid against the search engine owners affiliate links if they wanted a top spot. This undoubtedly cost advertisers $1000's of dollars in false inflated ($$) traffic. In fact, I have talked to several (okay, just 2 others) advertisers who believe they were robbed in this manner as well.

This is not an assumption of their unethical practices, it is in fact proven. Someone else posted a review on Alexa.com(?) reviews about their practices and what do you know... The next day the accounts they were claiming were not affiliate accounts but simply for tracking reduced their bids by as much as $0.40/click. This means that the day before the company had a bid of over $0.40 on a keyword and the day after the Alexa post the same advertisers ALL suddenly had bids of $0.10/click or less. Then then posted a response on Alexa denying the charges.

damion, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  10. damion

damion Guest

Best Answers:
    Interesting.

I was paying overture for clicks in 2002 - results were poor in comparison to dollars spent.

How do I determine if they did the same to me?

damion, May 8, 2005 IP
  11. damion

damion Guest

Best Answers:
    In addition, this company is being funded by Ebay.

damion, May 8, 2005 IP
  12. Andi

Andi Peon

Best Answers:
    So Google does modify its ODP input manually. I'm pleased to hear this, though G seems to be edging away from its own directory participation by omitting the directory icon from their newest toolbar beta.

Andi, May 8, 2005 IP