1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site Generating Strange Pages

Discussion in 'PHP' started by awl03c, Nov 1, 2013.

Hey guys,

I have a dynamic PHP based site and I've recently noticed its generating a lot of weird pages like this:
    http://www.festivalsnap.com/festiva...1748-16th+Annual+Magnolia+Fest+/ticket/hotels

As you can see from the URL it just keeps creating more and more unwanted child pages. When I run a sitemap creator it will just keep going forever and creating more of these pointless pages.

I asked my developer to look into it but he's been worthless (elance.com). Any PHP experts know what could be causing this?

awl03c, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  2. awl03c

awl03c Member

Best Answers:
    Btw the site architecture should be like this www.mysite.com/event and then there are 4 possible child pages for each event... /lineup /tickets /hotels /news

It shouldn't go any deeper than that but for some reason its just adding more and more child pages using any combination of the above pages.

awl03c, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  3. ezprint2008

ezprint2008 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I did a test to search for hotel in California with random check in/out time
    and it also showed "Sorry no hotels in that area" ...no hotels in California ..sheeeet
    This could be an entire architecture design of your site. How is it grabbing info from between dates?
    Is it entered into a database and then it grabs the 'California' between the dates picked by user?
    Seeing how California is huge, should it be specific in the counties of California instead of assuming a user enters that data in?
    It's really going to depend on how somebody created this site. So far I only know that it's not working and the layout is staggered/jumping around.
    Depending on how much you paid for that site, I'd get the coder /creator to get it to work. It looks like he busted it out as fast as possible to get it done.

I don't know how others would tackle that project but the way I'd do it is with a database and an Interface for you to enter dates of hotel availability
    into each county, state, date available, until date ended/unavailable, pricing range per night
    Entering all that info into an Interface and submitting it , it would upload it to your database. Then for the user entering date check in/out and state/county, price range or leave N/A
    the script would goto State: California County: ....then it would check available dates in database. and check out date ..grabbing all those available that matched and sorting ALL as query response or dependent on greater > or less than < price range.
    Your database will then have to go through once a day and delete entries that have expired the availability date. Cron Job?

Its hard to say what your developer had going on there except that it isn't grabbing anything and isn't allowing a State/County separate variable.

ezprint2008, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    ezprint: I think maybe you misunderstood the purpose of the site. It's for locating hotels and tickets for preregistered events. And if you do as you're supposed to, enter an event, then go to "Hotels" (or any other link in the menu), it works perfectly. But yes, changing the dates does state the "no hotels present" which sort of means there are no options for people who doesn't wanna go to the events purely on the exact dates. Which of course should be fixed.

PoPSiCLe, Nov 2, 2013 IP