1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

site content being hijacked

Discussion in 'Apache' started by kaptain, Oct 3, 2005.

my site is about four years+ old and i noticed a site that is pulling my content off of my server - live.

I say live because if i change a page or add a page (Change my site in any way) it will automatically show the change or addition on the offending site.

this is how his domain is set up
    mydomain-name.com.redirect.his-domain.com:8080/

if i filled in the real domain names and you went to that address then you would see my site and every page on it.

How can i block him/her or stop him/her?

kaptain, Oct 3, 2005 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I don't know the answer but first thought would be trying to add hotlinking protection in hopes it will mess up pages culprit is serving. Start doing research on owner of domian, his web host etc. You could send both he and his host a cease and desist letter.

Shannon

Smyrl, Oct 3, 2005 IP
  3. kaptain

kaptain Peon

Best Answers:
    i tried the hot link protection with my c-panel and it only worked periodically

my main concern is the dup content...

the research on the domain owner and host is telling me they are locted in France. From past experiance non us host don't really care.

kaptain, Oct 3, 2005 IP
  4. Smyrl

Best Answers:
  5. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    If the site that is doing this does it with other sites as well, Google might be interested and remove it from the index.

exam, Oct 3, 2005 IP
  6. kaptain

kaptain Peon

Best Answers:
    i sent an email to matt last week so that might happen... i still would like to know exactly what they are doing... I don't believe it's a 302 because nothing is redirecting, it is just showing my site under htier domain.

kaptain, Oct 3, 2005 IP
  7. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    try blocking the IP of their server in your .htaccess file. They may just be using the php file() function to retrieve your pages and display them.

exam, Oct 3, 2005 IP
  8. Smyrl

Best Answers:
    I do not understand either but it is maddening.

You can run a server header check to see if it is a 302, I believe. Try http://www.searchengineworld.com/cgi-bin/servercheck.cgi Scroll down and input domain name of hijacker. If he is using a 302 it will come back with

If he is using an I-frame there is code you can place on your page that will defeat that.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Shannon

Smyrl, Oct 3, 2005 IP
  9. kaptain

kaptain Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried the ip block in my .htaccess earlier and that was a no go...

I tried the javascript mentioned in the article mentioned above and that was a no go...

I checked the headers and they look identical to mine as if i am reading my headers

kaptain, Oct 3, 2005 IP
  10. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    kaptain

If you PM me within the next 2 hours with the details, I'll take a look for you and give you some feedback.

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Oct 3, 2005 IP
  11. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    I'll provide a little more detail laer, but basically, the site in question is acting as a proxy.

For example, the domain construct is: target.site.redirect.xyz.com
    replace target.site with say www.google.com (ie www.google.com.redirect.xyz.com) to see what I mean.

It's a realtime backend grab of the target pages (even the tracking img and other resources embedded in same).

I'll give you a tip or two on how to proceed later.. (meetings etc) :)

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Oct 3, 2005 IP
  12. kaptain

kaptain Peon

Best Answers:
    i noticed that two... if you replace my domain name with another it will pull those pages also..

Thanks for looking and look forward to the details

kaptain, Oct 3, 2005 IP
  13. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Kaptain,

This box is grabbing your pages on the fly. This means it's likely using a discreet IP address (ignore agent strings they could be anything)..

Using the *redirect URL*, request at least 5 unique nonexistant pages from your site. This will then show up in your server logs (and Cpanel error logs) and allow you to easily identify the offending IP address you want to work with.

The next thing you need to do is block these requests on an IP basis.. as you're using CPanel, login, and find 'IP Deny Manager', a standard CPanel tool (this is a seperate tool from hotlink protection).

Add the offending IP to the list in IP Deny Manager, and this should result in blocking (remember, the offending site may also use multiple IP's, so you may need to do this several times to get them all). Also, they may have a locally cached version of your pages.. tho I doubt it.

The above will prevent their server from retrieving your pages, and instead disallow a connection. Which will certainly arrest the dupe content issue. BUT, if they're use your content, perhaps you should use them (that's what I'd do).

Instead of blocking them outright, I'd be inclined to check for requests originating from their IP, and rather than block them, hand them a 301 redirect. That way, if the url in question is crawled, it still falls back to your domain, and you receive the advantage of an additional IBL..

At the end of the day, this type of site usually exists so ppl who are limited to specific domains (could be parental controls, could be a communist state !) have an easy way to reach their destinations without filters/firewalls etc getting in the way.

I hope this all helps.. basically - identify them by IP, then decide what you want to do with them.

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Oct 4, 2005 IP
    exam, plmerlin and Smyrl like this.
  14. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Very well said john :)

exam, Oct 4, 2005 IP
  15. kaptain

kaptain Peon

Best Answers:
    John, :) it worked only had to add three ip's

Now i know what to do for another domain i found last night doing the same thing.

John: I have a webmaster site that i would be willing to give you some free full page content with a couple links to you in each page if you would like, if you want i can even have the content written. Pm me if you would like - You pick the topic and if i need to i will add a new category... If you want the same in the site that you have already seen of mine let me know i can accommodate that also....

Oh...how do i through them a 301?

kaptain, Oct 4, 2005 IP
  16. Smyrl

Best Answers:
    Kaptain, How are you discovering these sites doing this? I wouuld like to run same checks on my a few of my sites.

Thanks, Shannon

Smyrl, Oct 4, 2005 IP
  17. kaptain

kaptain Peon

Best Answers:
    Shannon, Every time i have a drop in rankings i always find people copying my content. This time i couldn't find anyone so i was just checking things in google with the all in title and url and happened to notice them.... I got lucky is all...

Now i have read that when google finds dup content they see what site is older or what ever...

The base domain of the site that was steeling my content has a pr 7 and my site has a pr4 home page and pr5 internal pages and is 4+ years old. I do no shady stuff with this site and all of a sudden my rankings plummeted even for minor key phrases. When it was ranking for tons of minor key phrases (#1)
    and #3 to #7 for very high competition keyphrases.

So, was it because of the dup content? Normally when this happens everything comes back with-in a few weeks, i hope so!

Back to your question "Sorry" :)

inurl and in title will find them because for it (the proxy) to work your domain has to be at the beginning of the url - at least as far as i can tell with the two sites i found doing this to two of my sites.

Hey john would know way more than me, i'm just learning this kind of crap myself

kaptain, Oct 4, 2005 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  18. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    If it can happen to one of Google's lead engineers, it can happen to you. Check out what happens if you search for phrases from Matt Cutts' blog now:

http://www.google.com/search?q=noti...ient=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

The #1 result is someone using his feed and the #2 result is a black hat SEO team illustrating this problem very well for Google. They are cloaking his blog and ranking higher for the keywords than the blog itself... result... The Google Engineer's popular blog is no where to be found in the SERPs.

Maybe this will get the problem its due attention.

TheHoff, Oct 4, 2005 IP
  19. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    kaptain,

I took a look at it, but unfortunately it's a bit smarter than expected. It sees the 301 and appends its own domain to the one you want, so, basically, the net result is the same. Blocking the IP's is the only way to deal with it at present (that's going to be of any benefit SE wise).

Thanks also for your kind offer, perhaps just a link or two to this forum ? :)

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Oct 5, 2005 IP
    kaptain likes this.