1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site Ban by Google Please Help

Discussion in 'SEO' started by Atlanta Realtor, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Atlanta Realtor

Atlanta Realtor Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I can claim ingnorance..lol..when I first contacted this seo it was to seo the website..he reccomended we buy links that it would help produce higher ranking in a shorter amount of time. He said this is what he did with his website and it was ranked very well. This was part of the criteria for me choosing him because of his rankings in the SEs.

So since I am no expert I followed his advise. Until 3 months ago I didnt even know you could buy links or what allin anchor was or anything else.

Atlanta Realtor, Jun 29, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well personally, I don't think your site being stung would have anything to do with the IP blocks. More than likely you simply got too many "high value" links too quickly.

I'll assume that if you bought links in large bulk, they were spread around multiple sites (as there is limited value to them all coming from a single domain).

Google looks at so many different things, that even if it does look at the IP block (which I'm not convinced of myself), that's only 1 of 10,000 things.

Google applies penalties to sites that sells links based on PageRank (phpbb.com for example), but typically just the higher PageRank sites. A more logical explaination would be one of the sites you ended up getting links from was on Google "watch list". A combination of your site showing up there along with a flood of high quality links instantly showing up probably threw up some flags on Google's end that your site probably was buying links.

Google is tricky... if you are going to buy links, you have to take the good with the bad.

digitalpoint, Jun 29, 2004 IP
  3. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    .. and just to add what Shawn said, if this is your livelyhood, its your responsibility to ensure that you protect it by looking into any service that someone else might provide that would have an impact on your business... no matter how good of service they provide.

I'd look at some of your link partners, see if any of the other websites that are linked on it are in the same position as you, and like shawn said, get rid of some of the sponsored links, and you never know.

Darren :)

DarrenC, Jun 29, 2004 IP
  4. Atlanta Realtor

Atlanta Realtor Peon

Best Answers:
    I know that none of the other link partners are in that position. It was only Seo Guys 2 real estate clients. There are common factors between realtor 1 and realtor 2 websites. I will just have to wait till google responds. I gave them a detailed history of the website.

Atlanta Realtor, Jun 29, 2004 IP
  5. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience Wayne, you may have a very long wait for any answer from Google, and even then it may be only a one liner like:

Your site has/has not been penalized.

There seems to be nothing wrong with your site, there is a history of bulk link buying, but only the two sites are affected.

I am not entirely convinced that it is a penalty for link buying since:

• Two sites were affected in identical ways
    • Your pages were removed from both Google and Yahoo at the same time, leaving only some forum pages
    • Your PR and backlinks remain unchanged
    • Last Sunday you had only 7 pages indexed in Yahoo, all of them forum pages, today you have 101 pages indexed in Yahoo, with a mixture of both forum and regular pages.
    • Today you rank #18 in Yahoo for atlanta real estate, even though only some of your pages are indexed

This looks to me like there was some kind of glitch that caused pages to be removed from Google and Yahoo, but they are now finding thier way back in Yahoo. If the pages were dropped from both Google and Yahoo at the same time it seems logical that it was for the same reason and that reason seems to have been corrected.

The only caveat is that it seems like there has been an email to Google telling them about the link buying, and that might create problems in and of itself.

Mel, Jun 30, 2004 IP
  6. Atlanta Realtor

Atlanta Realtor Peon

Best Answers:
    I can say I feel it is based on part from a statement google made.

Lets start it this way. As stated there are common factors between myself and the other Seo Guys real estate client. Since we both were clients and we both got penalized..the problems is associated with one of those factors.

Common Factor Layouts.

A= Realtor #1 in real estate linking group

B=Realtor # 2 in real estate linking group

C= Realtor #3 in real estate linking group

D= Seo Guy Client in real estate linking group

E= Seo Guy Client in real estate linking group

Ok now A,B,C,D,E all have themed sitewide links to eachother with no other common factors other then the websites being themed and belonging to real estate agents.

D and E both use seo guy to purchase links from and handle the seo. We both have links back to seo guys website and real estate forum.

Now the common factors that both D and E have in common are.

1. We purchase links from seo guy. examples of those links that both D and E have together that were purchased from seo guy.

www.arizonatools.com/catalog/browse/2288-4089/ this website has sitewide links to both D and E

www.online-education.info/sitemap.php
    This website has both sitewide to both D and E

www.web-design.seo-guy.com both D and E are or was on this page

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/

This group of newspapers did have both D and E on them which these groups of newspapers are owned by the same company and crosslink together.

http://www.realestatewebmasters.com Both D and E was on homepage and several others but also recieved backlinks from post made.

So I believe that google does penalize or ban for something that is trying to manipulate there serps. Here is an excerpt from google.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1288776/000119312504105564/ds1a.htm#toc16167_4

There is an ongoing and increasing effort by “index spammers” to develop ways to manipulate our web search results. For example, because our web search technology ranks a web page’s relevance based in part on the importance of the web sites that link to it, people have attempted to link a group of web sites together to manipulate web search results. We take this problem very seriously because providing relevant information to users is critical to our success. If our efforts to combat these and other types of index spamming are unsuccessful, our reputation for delivering relevant information could be diminished. This could result in a decline in user traffic, which would damage our business.

Text-Matching Techniques. Our technology employs text-matching techniques that compare search queries with the content of web pages to help determine relevance. Our text-based scoring techniques do far more than count the number of times a search term appears on a web page. For example, our technology determines the proximity of individual search terms to each other on a given web page, and prioritizes results that have the search terms near each other. Many other aspects of a page’s content are factored into the equation, as is the content of pages that link to the page in question. By combining query independent measures such as PageRank with our text-matching techniques, we are able to deliver search results that are relevant to what people are trying to find.

Text advertising is NOT against googles Tos but when it is done to try and manipulate the serps it is..All it takes is for someone to file a report and show just cause why it is meant to manipulate and google will take action as I believe they have in relation to websites D and E.

Atlanta Realtor, Jul 1, 2004 IP
  7. ewayne

ewayne Guest

Best Answers:
    And I have never met one that says he/she does.

I tell people that I am an SEO expert. I don't know everything. I know a lot. Last month I got caught by Google on the one of my bragging rights sites I do SEO upon. 65% Traffic drop in one month. No changes on the site. 80% of search terms just plain gone.

1. Does that mean that everything that I did before was bad or wrong?
    NO

2. Did I receive bad advice at some time?
    NO

3. Did I go back to the same people that gave me advice before?
    You betcha!

The SEO expert you have worked with in the past is the best person to help you, because he knows your site, knows your optimization strategies.

Optimization is not a ONE TIME ACTIVITY. It is always changing. And part of an SEOs job is to try to keep up with the changes. However we all get caught on the bleeding edge at times. I will bet that none of the SEOs on this board can say that they never gave advice or implemented a change that did not backfire (or get changed for the worse) at least once.

I know that your SEO is making a deatiled analysis of your site (no matter if you are paying him or not) to figure out what advice he gave you backfired. He (like us) need to figure out those details so he does not give that advice again. He will probably disconver a new Google Rule.

Don't blame the SEO for pushing the bleeding edge, you blame an SEO for using blackhat SEO, but so far I have seen no blackhat SEO mentioned for your site.

ewayne, Jul 1, 2004 IP
  8. Catfish

Catfish Peon

Best Answers:
    1) I don't think your banned because you have page rank and backlinks and your indexed.
    2) You can be found by searching for the following phrase:
    "the most trusted name in Real Estate in the Greater Metro Atlanta Area"
    Thus you are definately not banned.
    3) Many people have reported being "sandboxed" after doing especially agressive link exchanges.
    4) Google rarely "bans" sites by hand as they prefer a more algo approach and I doubt that you would be one of their "biggest" offenders.
    5) You should NOT claim that SEO Guy is responsible for getting you banned when he is not because you are not banned.
    6) No one understands "the sandbox" effect but I would be willing to wager that you are in it.
    7) Your domain is not older than March 2004 which makes you a prime candidate for the Sandbox.
    8) BAD NEWS - Nothing you can do to get out of it except wait.
    9) If possible, you may want to set up a hompage at http://www.realtor.com as this page http://www.realtor.com/Atlanta/nbregion.asp?poe=realtor is already listed in the top 10 for your keywords.
    10) If I had a problem with your service, I would never make accusations without being sure I knew what I was talking about, especially if it concerned real estate which I know nothing about. I would advise (which is also free) for you to adopt the same philosophy with regard to SEO. Especially since by your own admission you nothing about it, and since you are obviously upsetting the people who can help you the most by accussing one of the most respected names in the indutry (at least as far as the forums that you post in).

I hope this will help your situation. I can relate and it is no fun especially when you feel like you paid for a service designed to prevent this unintended consequence. The only thing I can say is that SEO Guy should have warned you about the possible ramifications of sitewide links which have been speculated for some time now. However, on the flip side it is also common practice in the industry so there is an understandable grey area.

Last thing I would recommend (for free :) is that you not rely in SEO as your primary lead generation stream as it will NEVER stay consistent. That doesn't mean it can't be cost effective but there aren't many successful professinal gamblers. Hope that helps.

Catfish, Feb 28, 2005 IP
  9. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google has been dropping pages and then picking them back up like crazy. But I have to say that I am with New computer here that if your running a cross linking thing across a set of sites, then your heading into dangerous waters. be more selective, only cross link between pages that are on topic to each other and then with some decent anchor text that is relevant to the pages, and you should do well from it. Cross linking a group of sites, site wide is really not a good idea, especially if you have the same anchor text on all the links.

Old Welsh Guy, Feb 28, 2005 IP
  10. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    this should be read by anyone before buying links - it should also be read by anyone who wants to post about how his site dropped ;)

Blogmaster, Mar 30, 2005 IP
  11. asterix

asterix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol do u get banned for having sitewide links ???

asterix, May 26, 2006 IP
  12. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    You know this thread is almost 2 years old, they did things differently way back then;)

Roman, May 26, 2006 IP
  13. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    can sitewides hurt you?

Do a search for googlebowling ;)

Old Welsh Guy, May 26, 2006 IP
  14. asterix

asterix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    here is something i would like to ask : would sitewide links to low or no pr site effect my pagerank or google search ??

asterix, May 26, 2006 IP
  15. dipal76

dipal76 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If once your site is banned by google then you can not use same again.
    If you try again, your site will automatically banned by google after few days.
    You can try to set new domain name with new account.

dipal76, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  16. deew

deew Peon

Best Answers:
    deew, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  17. radkins

radkins Peon

Best Answers:
    How do you find out how many backlinks your site has?

radkins, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  18. uumair

uumair Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You must have done activities which are banned by google. Try to Re Index your website by searching on google

uumair, Aug 2, 2011 IP
  19. geili001

geili001 Peon

Best Answers:
    I can find nothing in your robots.txt to stop the spidering of your pages.

geili001, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  20. jhonhardy

jhonhardy Peon

Best Answers:
    Search engine optimization is one of the most helpful SEO experts that I have come across on any SEO forums and I think you should really be having these discussions with SEO Guy direct rather than having this discussion in a forum.

jhonhardy, Sep 15, 2011 IP