1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Singular generic domainnames. Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by lewney, Jan 8, 2006.

I was wondering what your views are on Singular generic domainnames. For example: the domainname Shoe.com, would that actually be worth buying? Can we expect type-ins coming in on such a domainname?

I must make it clear to you that Shoe is an example here, I'm not looking to get an appraisal on that (before anybody thinks I do!!). I'm looking for the worth of singular generic words as domainname.

Also, I'm aiming on generic words that can be in a singular form, so I dont mean trouser.com which yields a non-existing word.

lewney, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  2. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Yep, they're worth buying. Obviously, the more common the word, the more chance there is of type-in traffic; which tends to push the price of these domains up.

You can also get type-in traffic on two or three word domains of the type: onetwothree.com. Again, the amount of type-in traffic depends very much on how searched for the name is.

mcfox, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  3. Greg-J

Greg-J I humbly return to you.

Best Answers:
    I have one domain in partuclare that I bought off Ebay a few months back that is a two word domain. It was a steal at < $20. I've done nothing with it at all, just parked a page and put it on my short list of projects. I get about 140 visitors a day just from type-ins (it's not cached anywhere).

That's not a lot, but it's a very targeted niche keyword. And when people type-in urls, they're looking for something. I would consider type-in traffic one of the most valuable.

It's hard to find them though. Every now and then you'll see a great .com on Ebay though. And it's hardly competative right now. Some people are just really good at coming up with domain names, but shite with marketing.

Greg-J, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  4. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    lol @ "shite at marketing"
    Why don't you park it on Sedo?

mcfox, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  5. Momo

Momo Peon

Best Answers:
    Singular generic domainnames generate a lot of type-in traffic, and thus more parkign revenue, that's why these names are so valuable nowadays.

Momo, Jan 11, 2006 IP