1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Simplest Way To Retrofit A Mobile Theme To This Site?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Captain_Ambiguous, Feb 11, 2017.

www.stephenbrennan.ca

I have a writer's website that I built a few years ago, and occasionally update. When it comes to web design I'm smarter than the average bear, but I'm falling behind the times when it comes to newfangled things like CSS and mobile themes. The site doesn't display terribly well on a smartphone.

I'm aware that moving to Wordpress would solve this, but I prefer having control over the design and features. I think what I want to do is create a secondary index page that loads if screen resolution is below a certain mark. Any pointers on how to accomplish that? Thanks.

Captain_Ambiguous, Feb 11, 2017 IP
  2. jik34

jik34 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Articles:
    jik34, Feb 12, 2017 IP
  3. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Unless you want to have ongoing issues with accessibility, responsiveness (your post's raison d'ĂȘtre), maintenance and debugging, you really should refactor your page(s) to reflect this century's best practices.

Tables have certain requirements due to the the data relationships within rows (records) and columns (fields). These tabular relationships may not be broken. Re-ordering elements for different user agents (UAs, primarily browsers) and sizes often do try to break the relationships and end up breaking the display.

Yours is a simple page; a banner, two rows and a footer. If you don't get in the way, it will almost respond to differing sizes automagically.

Let us know if you want to do things correctly, using best practice (almost certainly easier than fighting with table layouts). If so there are a number of us who will likely jump right in to offer help and guide you through he mine fields.

cheers,

gary

//edit: punctuation ~g

kk5st, Feb 12, 2017 IP
  4. alexmv

alexmv Peon

Best Answers:
    You can load secondary index page for small screen resolution with JavaScript redirect. But this doesn't sound like a good solution to me. Because you need to create several index pages for most used screen resolutions. And still, you will not cover the whole possible range. The best solution is to re-create your code and make it responsive. It is not so hard to do it by yourself. I recommend using Bootstrap front-end framework.

Your site is not complicated. You can still have the blog on WordPress but use some responsive theme. And re-create the rest with Bootstrap. According to me, this is the best solution for your case.

I hope this help.
    Alex

alexmv, Feb 13, 2017 IP