1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Silo Structure - Need clarity on links & number of tiers

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Toby39, May 7, 2018.

Hi folks,
    I am building a Silo site and understand the basic philosophy about separating the site into different categories, in which the content in each category doesn't link to any content in another category, to help give each category title (category keyword) lots of link-juice.

However, I have what you could describe as a 4 Tier site, and I am wondering if this is one tier too many. For example:

TIER 1 ... Home page
    TIER 2 ... Category
    TIER 3 ... Sub-category
    TIER 4 ... Wordpress blog posts

Q1: Does the 4 tier example above, have too many tiers for SEO purposes?

Q2: Should the TIER 1 / Home page include links to TIER 3 / Sub-categories

Thank you for reading

Toby39, May 7, 2018 IP
  2. seoauthority

seoauthority Member

Best Answers:
    As far as I am aware, this should not be an issue. I'm not sure if "tier" is the correct use of terms here. Do you mean your site structure as in

//homepage
    //homepage/category/
    //homepage/category/sub-category
    //homepage/category/sub-category/blogposts

In which case, the folder structure will not make a difference. Each page will be crawled individually and given it's own ranking - but the most important for page for SEO purposes, will still be your homepage. After that, the rest will all be treated as individual pages on your site.

seoauthority, May 7, 2018 IP
  3. Toby39

Toby39 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, your structure list is the same as mine. I think I may have adopted the 'Tier' terminology from SiteSell.com, I hear folks use it from time to time.

I appreciate that each page will be crawled separately, but the Tier 4 keywords provide link-juice to the Tier 3s, and the Tier 3 & 4s combined provide link-juice to the Tier 2 keywords.

So long as I can link to any other pages on my home page (and not just Tier 2 'Categories'), I will be happy to include links to 'Latest blog posts' which will be Tier 4 pages.
    Thank you for replying.

Toby39, May 8, 2018 IP