1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Signs of a Typical Scam. Guide for Newbies

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Vlasic, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Melisa455

Melisa455 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great advice. I have to add. Even if it is bulk work. It is also better to get up-front payment first. Or at least 50% downpayment before we start to write. That's how we avoid being scam.

Melisa455, Jul 22, 2014 IP
  2. Emma Pollard

Emma Pollard Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have been on the receiving end of this. I was working for a guy who was in direct contact with the end client (I was not allowed to contact them directly) and my work was never good enough. The brief changed constantly even though he told me exactly what was needed initially (600 words when the end client wanted 60!). In the end he got quite stroppy about it and refused to pay me but I didn't lose out completely as I always insist on 50% upfront.

Emma Pollard, Jul 31, 2014 IP
  3. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Content Maestro, Sep 16, 2014 IP
  4. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What your client did in this case is nothing new. A lot of people use this trick. They send the first few payments exactly on the payday or even before sometimes, which makes you think you can trust them. Then they come up with some excuses saying that pay won’t be possible immediately on the scheduled day, but a little later. Still, they want you to write as content is ALWAYS needed urgently. These clients even place bulk orders and promise a higher rate than usual, which compels you to think of the offer seriously. You don't mind waiting a little as you have put your trust already. Since a bulk order is placed with the promise of a higher-than-usual rate, you are excited to deliver your work ASAP. The payday keeps on getting pushed ahead and ultimately you’re pissed off. When you start demanding an explanation, the scammer ignores your messages and disappears suddenly in oblivion never to appear again.:O
    I have been through this when I started my career as a freelance writer. That's why I ALWAYS insist on an upfront payment even if that client has ordered previously from me. But for those with whom I have been working for long, say about for more than a year or two, I don't normally ask an upfront pay unless the order amounts to a big sum.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    Content Maestro, Sep 19, 2014 IP