1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Side Server Includes

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by kaptain, Aug 31, 2004.

i am finally learning about ssi :D ... yea after doing web marketing for about 2.5 years...

i added this to my root .htaccess file:
    with this i did NOT have to rename my pages with the .shtml extension!

i was reading about the extra work a server needs to do to when i use ssi

Question-1: if i have my own server with 10 sites on it and i implement ssi on each, would that put a lot of stress on this server?

i was also reading about using XBitHack in the .htaccess so the stress on the server would be less, but could not get this to work. I am sure i just didn't add the correct info to the .htaccess file.

Question-2: could someone please explain what i might need to get the XBitHack to work?

kaptain, Aug 31, 2004 IP
  2. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    This is exactly my situation and it works fine. :)

bash-2.05a$ uptime
    11:31AM  up 27 days, 22:36, 3 users, load averages: 0.12, 0.44, 0.53

Code (markup):

Will.Spencer, Aug 31, 2004 IP
  3. kaptain

kaptain Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks will

how do you find the server load?

kaptain, Aug 31, 2004 IP
  4. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Well the load depends on the system u use. parsing for ssi or php only adds a tiny amount of processing.

The XBitHack method is only advisable (IMHO) if you have 1000's of pages ond just 10 of these require ssi. You will have to set the xbit or control it each time you update a file.
    To get it to work : you have to chgmod the pages to 744 instead of 644! or have to try to do it through your ftp client.

So if your server is at 50% don't even think about it just turn it on. If your server is at 110% forget it buy an new one or move half to a third party.

M

expat, Aug 31, 2004 IP
  5. kaptain

kaptain Peon

Best Answers:
    i did read something that mentioned chmoding but was not clear. i do have Thousands of pages so that would not be the way to go. Thanks expat

kaptain, Aug 31, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Server load is more about unique visitors and page views per day rather than how many sites. You could have 10,000 sites that individually get little traffic without any problems. But if you have one huge site, it could require multiple servers. But for 99.9% of the sites (based on traffic) SSI isn't going to cause any load problems what-so-ever.

digitalpoint, Aug 31, 2004 IP
  7. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Remember, though, that he's not talking about SSI as such--he's talking about making every page he has be treated as .shtml, even if it's a plain vanilla .html page.

That might jack the load rather more than SSI pages named .shtml and non-SSI pages named .html.

Owlcroft, Aug 31, 2004 IP
  8. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Yes there is a bit of load but lets put it in perspective PHP and SSI can actually help reduce the load.
    I run a 1000 page travel site 4k uniques 3.4 page per on a shared quad processor. The pages a sliced and put together via PHP out of usually 5 components and require 2-3 sql commands. As the pages are not on disc as one static block I/O performance is actually better as for example the 2 different headers are held in cach being requested requeted frequently. Same effect happens on MySql automatic usage of persistant connectivity and internal caching spews out frequently requested bits faster than static I/O's specifically when sql is on a seperate server.

For me the saving in time and the increased flexibility come at a very smal price.

Still even with ultra fast discs the bottleneck of processing is very often in the I/O area rather than in processing overheads.
    Multiprocesor servers on standard Unix are much better at multi tasks 9requests) than utilisation of multiprocessors to single tasks and multi threading.
    The exception being SUN systems.

M

M

expat, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  9. kaptain

kaptain Peon

Best Answers:
    This is what my server has

AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 384K Cache
    768MB DDR-RAM
    80GB Hard Drive / 7200 RPM
    RedHat Fedora