1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Side defects of submitting directories on same IP address

Discussion in 'Directories' started by nehasoft, Dec 5, 2012.

What are the side defects of submitting directories on same IP address.Can you please tell me?

nehasoft, Dec 5, 2012 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Can you be a bit more specific. I really do not understand what you are asking. IP addresses have no affect what so ever on a sites SERPs, PR or indexing. If they did Google would have about 75% less indexed pages then they do today.

Mia, Dec 5, 2012 IP
  3. nehasoft

nehasoft Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for taking intrest Mia My ques is that if i m submitting directory suppose on three directory sites and these 3 sites have same IP then what will going to happen it will affect my rank or not.

nehasoft, Dec 5, 2012 IP
  4. concerto49

concerto49 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I don't think this will be an issue - otherwise no one will be using shared hosting. All sites on shared hosting have the same IP unless they got a dedicated IP for SSL reasons etc.

concerto49, Dec 6, 2012 IP
  5. nehasoft

nehasoft Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    IF a owner generates hundreds of dummy websites containing little relevant or original content, They would have backlinks pointing to their main website or inter-links between the sites. The cost and time of running this ranking method would be greatly reduced if the owner hosted all of these websites on the same server (host).

nehasoft, Dec 6, 2012 IP
  6. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The search engines could look suspiciously at your links if a large percentage are coming from the same IP, which would not usually happen if they were natural links. At best, the search engines could ignore many of them.

CanadianEh, Dec 6, 2012 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    It will if you listen to 99.999% of SEO's out there.

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Name Based Virtual Hosting is the preferred method of hosting. It's a standard that has been in place for years and something that is encouraged and requested by ARIN, at least in the US in order to make more efficient use of the IP space. The only reason anyone did IP Based Hosting back in the day was because Apache and other HTTP based servers did not support name based. Now that they do, there is little reason if any to assign a different IP to each host, unless of course you need a secure certificate.

Google realizes this and as such does not penalize sites based SOLELY on the IP address associated with the site. There are multiple factors that are considered and while that may be one, its not the only metric used.

Do also realize that IP allocations to various ISP's and or NAP's and their customers and on down the line are allocated in sequential blocks and the ownership of each is the same. That said, if you host your site on IP 1.2.3.4 and another one of your sites on IP 1.2.3.5, while they are different IP's, don't you think that Google is smart enough to see that they are in the same netblock? And even if they are on a different netblock and or subnet, if the WHOIS data shows them belonging to the same provider or shows the same SWIP' information... again, don't you think Google is smart enough to see that?

Here's the big little known secret.

1. Multiple Class C IP's for use in SEO were created and sold purely as a marketing ploy by Web Hosts to make more money, by upselling value addons like IP's. PERIOD.

2. SEO's mistook this to mean that Google gave a shit and decided to start telling their clients they need to get their sites on different IPs, in turn they would often buy and resell those at a profit as well.

The web hosting industry laughs at these people and does so all the way to the bank. The inefficient use of resources under the guise of a SE penalizing you for your IP address is a complete farce. It's like saying you'll be penalized for using the same type of server hardware, or same type of server software, or for hosting your web site in the same geographic locations as all your other ones.

Mia, Dec 6, 2012 IP
  8. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Side effects may include :

Nausea, Headache, Diarrhea, Dry Mouth, Constipation, Vomiting, Dizziness, Insomnia, Hair Loss and even Death!!!

an0n, Dec 6, 2012 IP
  9. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For their site I agree.

But I think the OP is referring to submitting to directories who have the same Class C's. Not their own site(s).

In the instance where it occurs (someone has a network of directories they'll submit you to), and let's say they have 100 on that IP address, and it represents a significant portion of someone's backlink profile, then yes I'm betting it could affect it. It looks fishy. Tips hat to CanadianEh

The really bad thing about those types of directories, probably isn't the shared IP. It would be the fact that they all look entirely the same content-wise, because they are all interconnected. The IP would just be the sour icing on Mr Burns pickled fig cake!

silencer, Dec 6, 2012 IP
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    That makes more sense. Its not uncommon for 100's of directories to be located at the same web host and many on similar IP's and or IP ranges.

I see what you are saying. As I mentioned before I don't think the IP itself is the only determining factor. It seems to me that it's one small part of a bigger picture of making a determination as to whether that directory is unique or linked to a network of directories. I would think the google looks at the IP, any internal and external linking, and duplicate content as a whole. All these factors together and more can certainly help isolate the legitimate ones from the the bad ones.

More about what I was getting at with this multiple IP scam perpetuated by SEO's is the notion that taking that network of 100 directories you were referring to and locating them all on different IP addresses. I doubt that does anything to fool the SE and more than placing them at 100 completely different hosts. I think all the other factors including the linking and duplicate content plays a larger role.

In the end though, understanding the OP's question now I would say its probably not the best place to be located. Will you be penalized as a result? I'm not sure on that.. I think you'll likely NOT gain any benefit from it, so in that sense its probably about the same thing. No positive benefit or penalization... If the network of directories is penalized it does not matter if you are in 100 or 1000, if you're not getting any exposure its not really doing you any good either way.

Mia, Dec 7, 2012 IP
  11. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Everything I have read backs Mia 100% and Google says it is and internet rumor that having your sites on the same IP address is at all harmful.

stoner3221, Dec 7, 2012 IP
  12. nehasoft

nehasoft Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ok so you guys wants to say that it doesnt affect our keywords if we use to post directory on similar IP address directory sites.

nehasoft, Dec 12, 2012 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I fail to see how an individual web site's choice of keywords and their relevance in SERP's will be adversely affected by that site's placement in a particular directory and or directories that share a like IP and or netblock.

Look, if things really worked this way you could run around and list your competitor's sites in these same directories to get them penalized. I think that Google and other SE's uses a lot more factors than that of one single IP address in their algos.

Mia, Dec 13, 2012 IP
  14. suwandichen13

suwandichen13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    suwandichen13, Jan 20, 2013 IP